What's new

Any advice to a non BMW rider that may be considering a used BMW (specifically RxxxxGS)

Gravelcruiser

Member Number
So I've sold a KLR, still have a DRZ and a KDX to take care of the fun stuff, and am considering a larger displacement mile eater. My history is with Asian bikes, a brief stint with KTM, but none at all on the mighty GS.

Some of my considerations up to this point have been the Africa Twin, Super Tenere, and now that I've been looking and have uncovered some GS models that would fall into my price range.

I've got no one locally to talk to about these machines, Internet searching is either they're great or awful depending on the source.

Hoping to find some matter of fact info here.

Thanks

Well ya see, I'm laid up for a few weeks due to an accident at work. So unfortunately I have the wrong type of time on my hands. Test rides are out of the question for the next 8-10 weeks🙄

Also looking for servicing info, quirks for different years, parts availability, aftermarket, etc.

I'm not a 6 figure kind of guy so honestly I had never considered them before. But I do like certain things about them and obviously they're not terrible machines.

I've had an 1150 RT, 2008 RT, 2009 GS, and a 2017 GS all purchased used. Of that list, the 2017 GSA LC was the only one to give me any problems at all. I'm of the opinion that all the added gee-whiz BS is...well...BS. It wows people and draws them in but serves little real benefit for most people. Having said that, I do have a Ducati DesertX but not for touring so I'm not totally tech averse (luckily the 17 GSA had great resale value). I think it's the 2005 and 06 models that have the servo brakes that many folks complain about.

If I were buying a used GS tomorrow I'd be searching for another 2007-2012 model if I wanted a modern-ish bike. The maintenance requirements are going to be a bit more frequent vs an Africa Twin but if you're handy at all the valve adjustments are easy and easy to access and the alternator belt isn't a big deal either. If you have an Android smart phone there's an app available to reset service reminders, balance throttle bodies, and check for any codes, etc. much cheaper than the HexCode GS911.

Not sure where you're at in MO but both Grassroots (in Cape G) and Gateway should have some used ones to check out and staff at both have been friendly to me.

I have an airhead and gs bikes are tempting. I got a 2022 klr and recently purchased a 2004 DL1000. Is a vstrom an option? My strom has become my daily rider. The strom can handle logging yard mud/debrise and cruise 80mph plus like a dream. Hope you heal fast!

Last edited:
I've had an 1150 RT, 2008 RT, 2009 GS, and a 2017 GS all purchased used. Of that list, the 2017 GSA LC was the only one to give me any problems at all. I'm of the opinion that all the added gee-whiz BS is...well...BS. It wows people and draws them in but serves little real benefit for most people. Having said that, I do have a Ducati DesertX but not for touring so I'm not totally tech averse (luckily the 17 GSA had great resale value). I think it's the 2005 and 06 models that have the servo brakes that many folks complain about.

If I were buying a used GS tomorrow I'd be searching for another 2007-2012 model if I wanted a modern-ish bike. The maintenance requirements are going to be a bit more frequent vs an Africa Twin but if you're handy at all the valve adjustments are easy and easy to access and the alternator belt isn't a big deal either. If you have an Android smart phone there's an app available to reset service reminders, balance throttle bodies, and check for any codes, etc. much cheaper than the HexCode GS911.

Not sure where you're at in MO but both Grassroots (in Cape G) and Gateway should have some used ones to check out and staff at both have been friendly to me.
I certainly appreciate the reply, an 09, 10, and 11 are currently listed within an hour and a half of me with various miles, so that sounds like those might be in the "sweet zone" , all with various mileage.

Some tech is ok, but I'm a dirt guy most of my life. So I don't want to have to go through an Apollo launch every day. Lol

I've talked with some of the Gateway team at Palooza last year. They do seem like great folks.

I have an airhead and gs bikes are tempting. I got a 2022 klr and recently purchased a 2004 DL1000. Is a vstrom an option? My strom has become my daily rider. The strom can handle logging yard mud/debrise and cruise 80mph plus like a dream. Hope you heal fast!
I had a 2012 650 for a short time. I sold it because the ergos didn't fit me at all and I didn't like the bike enough to spend more to change them. That and I was always thinking about dinging those cast wheels.

Thanks and me too, I've got rides planned that I really hope to do this year.

There is a lot of service info here: http://www.jvbproductions.com/Tech_Pictorials.html

Pretty much all R series BMWs are very easy to service, with parts still available from the OEM and lots of aftermarket support. All normal service is easily doable by anyone who knows how to turn a wrench.
Thank you for the link, I'll study into that today. And I'm reasonably competent with a wrench. Well most days. :dic

Gravelcruiser if you’re a dirty rider the ergo’s of a big GS may not feel right. You sit down in the bike behind the center of mass. The S10 and AT feel more like giant dirt bikes where you’re on top of the bike.

Gravelcruiser if you’re a dirty rider the ergo’s of a big GS may not feel right. You sit down in the bike behind the center of mass. The S10 and AT feel more like giant dirt bikes where you’re on top of the bike.
Both are much more top heavy feeling than the BMW. I am particularly NOT a fan of the S10. Heavy and slow.

So I've sold a KLR, still have a DRZ and a KDX to take care of the fun stuff, and am considering a larger displacement mile eater. My history is with Asian bikes, a brief stint with KTM, but none at all on the mighty GS.

Some of my considerations up to this point have been the Africa Twin, Super Tenere, and now that I've been looking and have uncovered some GS models that would fall into my price range.

I've got no one locally to talk to about these machines, Internet searching is either they're great or awful depending on the source.

Hoping to find some matter of fact info here.

Thanks
The only thing I can say is go for a 17 year or better. For no other reason then the transmission and drive shaft updates. I traded a 15 RT for a 17.5 GS Low. I fell in love with the low when I sat on it. I was not looking with 2.5 years in on the RT. Just fell in love and that was it. Well except for the financial bath I took but hey it is only money.

Other then that if you are young and strong then a GS/GSA will be no issue in a real dirt/mud environment. Just remeber these are 580 lb bikes and that makes for a pretty heavy dirt bike. I run Trail tires on my GS and I can sneak some light gravel or dirt roads in with not too much issue. But to run one of these as a dirt bike knobbies are the flavor of the day.

I do not use mine as a dirt bike but more a mile muncher. It does well on the highway because of the weight it has. I get air but with my Aeroflow shield my helmet and chest are not getting blown around. I like the exposure on the other areas on the bike. We did a Blue Knight ride on Saturday. Poker Run. It was 89 degrees. It was warm but not full fairing warm.

The GS handles as well as any bike I have owned. It is my intention to have my 17.5 R1200 GS for the rest of my life. It is just that good to me.

This will be more of a mile muncher/state crosser kind of bike for me. The worst conditions I can foresee for me would be BDR type stuff and SM500 type rides. Anymore than that, I'll pull out the DRZ.

Top Bottom Back Refresh