What's new

Any advice to a non BMW rider that may be considering a used BMW (specifically RxxxxGS)

Today I've spent considerable time looking into the various models and year changes. It would seem the 13 and newer would be more desirable to me. The wet clutch making the biggest difference in how it's serviced versus the dry clutch which requires taking the bike half apart to replace.

If you can believe this, there are about five times as many Yamaha dealers in the U.S. as there are BMW dealers. If I planned to be traveling a lot this
would be the deciding factor.

If you can believe this, there are about five times as many Yamaha dealers in the U.S. as there are BMW dealers. If I planned to be traveling a lot this
would be the deciding factor.
So you are saying Yamahas are inherently unreliable?

In over 400K miles on BMWs I have only once been stranded, 40 miles from home on an old BMW.

So you are saying Yamahas are inherently unreliable?

In over 400K miles on BMWs I have only once been stranded, 40 miles from home on an old BMW.
No, I'm saying anything can happen and it is much better to have a dealer nearby where you can purchase model specific parts and get repairs. You, sir, are not the average motorcyclist. Minor things like a broken clutch lever or footrest wouldn't bother you but would stop many people dead. All bikes break
for many reasons and the more dealers available to help the better.

If you want to go old school, the 98 and 99 were the best years for the R1100GS. The 2000-2002 were the best years for the R1150GS, although it had the clutch spline issue. I wouldn't buy one unless it had 75K+ miles. If it hasn't failed by that point it's a good one.

No, I'm saying anything can happen and it is much better to have a dealer nearby where you can purchase model specific parts and get repairs. You, sir, are not the average motorcyclist. Minor things like a broken clutch lever or footrest wouldn't bother you but would stop many people dead. All bikes break
for many reasons and the more dealers available to help the better.
If that is you philosophy for buying a bike you should only own Harleys. There are more Harley dealers, by far, than any other dealer in the US, plus many hundreds of independent shops.

With the internet, parts are available anywhere in a day or two. As a rider you should be able to do basic repairs, or stay close to home.

If that is you philosophy for buying a bike you should only own Harleys. There are more Harley dealers, by far, than any other dealer in the US, plus many hundreds of independent shops.

With the internet, parts are available anywhere in a day or two. As a rider you should be able to do basic repairs, or stay close to home.
That is my philosophy learned from over 50 yrs. of riding motorcycles and working in motorcycle shops. Not everyone can or wants to work on their own
motorcycle. But OK, you win. I also learned not to argue with an expert, especially a BMW expert.

From my little corner I see a need for basic wrenching skills as an essential life skill. But as more and more electronics become involved, knowing righty tightly, lefty loosely may not be all that beneficial. The ability to maintain our rides still remain in our hands, the ability to repair may soon be on its way out.

From my little corner I see a need for basic wrenching skills as an essential life skill. But as more and more electronics become involved, knowing righty tightly, lefty loosely may not be all that beneficial. The ability to maintain our rides still remain in our hands, the ability to repair may soon be on its way out.
Maybe,,,, when I was young didn't know anything about a computer , or internet ,,,,Look at us now !!:D

Anyway, whatever GS you get I think you'll like it.

My only personal experience with BMW's ( not owned one personally) is I see two types of friends with them.

1: This the the best bike that ever biked and if you don't bike on one of the bike's you don't even bike.

2: That'll never happen again

But that goes for any brand loyalist.

BMW haven't built anything light and powerful enough to compete with the bikes I enjoy from Japan yet, but I'll give one a go when they catch up to the current state of the art.

Last edited:
I think it hits all brands, a few bikes and vehicles I've had over the years have had that "WTF wasn't anyone thinking at the moment this was designed" experience.

My only personal experience with BMW's ( not owned one personally) is I see two types of friends with them.

1: This the the best bike that ever biked and if you don't bike on one of the bike's you don't even bike.

2: That'll never happen again

But that goes for any brand loyalist.

BMW haven't built anything light and powerful enough to compete with the bike I enjoy from Japan yet, but I'll give one a go when they catch up to the current state of the art.
This sentimate seems moar common amongst the RxxxxGS crowd.

This sentimate seems moar common amongst the RxxxxGS crowd.
Could be true, but I was thinking about a couple buddy's with old air cooled BMWs who, for the life of em, just cannot fathom why any other bike has even bothered being produced since the release of the all holy airhead 😁

For general busting down the road, a close buddy has a XR1000 whatever it is. Man, that's a nice bike. Four banger , chain drive. Doesn't have the twin jugs poking out BMW look, but I like slim bikes personally.

Could be true, but I was thinking about a couple buddy's with old air cooled BMWs who, for the life of em, just cannot fathom why any other bike has even bothered being produced since the release of the all holy airhead 😁

For general busting down the road, a close buddy has a XR1000 whatever it is. Man, that's a nice bike. Four banger , chain drive. Doesn't have the twin jugs poking out BMW look, but I like slim bikes personally.
Well there are Luddites in every hobby.

Not sure what is up with the BMW guys you mention?

Yes that 1000 is a rocket to say the least. Race born and bred.

I ride with all kinds of bikes and do not think it matters. I think most guys could care less what you ride, as long as you enjoy yourself and are safe while doing it. I am on a BMW but it is not the only brand I have owned, and certainly not the only brand I lust over.

However at my age and with what a new motorcycle costs these days, I do have my to die with bike. It just happens to be a 17.5 R1200 GS.

However at my age and with what a new motorcycle costs these days, I do have my to die with bike.
Nah bro. New bikes have indeed gone nuts, but the used market ain't going anywhere. With new bikes holding me hostage with $2k+ headlights if they fizzle out, buying a whole damn Jap bike for $5k and 2k miles on the clock (pictured below)...they're only hurting themselves. I've got options!

I was drooling over a BMW F900R recently to replace my FZ 09. BMW was down 40hp, 50lbs heavier and just the added electronics package was $5k. That's just doesn't compute in my brain.

IMG_20220719_193340404.jpg

Well there are Luddites in every hobby.
but BMW owners (car & bike) tend to be a special breed of selfcenterd knowitall pricks. And yes I own one, but I’m an outsider asking questions about a 20yo POS.

I certainly hope this thread doesn't turn out to be a brand/group bashing thread. Certainly wasn't my intent. There are assholes in every facet of life which I think speaks more of the individual than the brand.

I certainly hope this thread doesn't turn out to be a brand/group bashing thread. Certainly wasn't my intent. There are assholes in every facet of life which I think speaks more of the individual than the brand.
Sorry, but it come with the territory. Unless you ask the “right questions” so you can learn the “secret handshake” you’re an outsider. If you diy or want to mod beware unless you do the “group approved” mods.
To some it really appears to be a brand loyal cult.
“They” pissed 8n my wheaties this morning and I’m ready to go buy KLR badges just because.

Top Bottom Back Refresh