What's new

Bicycle thread

I just like imagining CTG's life.

That'd be interesting lol.

I have an idea what old curmudgeons think...

BTW, I haven't seen any new posts by you on the other site for a while. What happened, did you get yourself banned again? :dunno

That'd be interesting lol.

I have an idea what old curmudgeons think...

BTW, I haven't seen any new posts by you on the other site for a while. What happened, did you get yourself banned again? :dunno

I'm still hoping they all move here. I'm not up for posting on two sites about the same stuff. I'm not that interesting.

Reactions: CTG
You sell yourself short. The buildup and the recent 200mi ride were interesting. You could have given them a taste and in a not too obvious way linked here.

Last edited:
You sell yourself short. The buildup and the recent 200mi ride were interesting. You could have given them a taste and in a not too obvious way linked here.

I sell myself as 5'10". I used to be 5'10.5", but age and all that. :D

You were the main help for gearing up for that ride. It was interesting going into it with a bunch of barely-tested or completely untested gear and having it work out.

I just ordered another set of bibs with the Progetto 2 pad. I now no longer want to ride distances on my Giordana bibs... the pads just aren't what the Castelli pads are.

I also just ordered one of these: https://us.selleitalia.com/watt-ti-316-gel-superflow/ for the gravel bike to try it out. Edit: Just cancelled that saddle order - it's a narrow saddle at only 133mm for sit bones. I no longer believe in 'normal' sit bone widths for we non-pros, non-every-day non-ultra-thin cyclists.

Last edited:
I'm still hoping they all move here. I'm not up for posting on two sites about the same stuff. I'm not that interesting.
I don’t consider myself an elitist snob, but there is an ongoing thread “ over there” that is seven pages long of people hating on Presta valves.
So maybe it would be okay if not everyone migrated over.

I don’t consider myself an elitist snob, but there is an ongoing thread “ over there” that is seven pages long of people hating on Presta valves.

Yeah, I'm not sure that that is the bicycle thread I used to frequent over there. That sounds more like a noob complaint cycling thread.

It's JM... where even a monkey thinks it is intelligent. :baldy

Anyway... the whole clan made it home this evening. We might as well call it home and might as well call them family. We laugh about how I spend more time with and know some of them better than their own parents especially since covid. They rode an hour before cleaning up for dinner.

Speaking of covid. it hasn't gone away and we all wear masks and gloves in public.

One night away this week, so four days on the bike, one to make up, or not, it doesn't matter, I'm not going to lose anything if I don't, but I do lose if I don't have a regular rest day from the bike... :dunno On the day I missed I went to a public gym for a run on a treadmill and weights circuit. I had forgotten the smell. :puke2

Well, 10 pages of that presta valve drivel... :imaposer

it was a good weekend. Saturday and Sunday we did shorter and flatter 80km rides followed bu a hot soak and long lunch. Sunday B and I were sitting around talking about things aviation. Difference between talking and doing. She's getting her helicopter licence and we ended up in an AS350 for a couple of hours. It was worth it.
We got everyone where they needed to be yesterday morning. Early swim. No riding. I had another work overnighter. Gym after I got home tonight. Not my usual two activity days.

Well, 10 pages of that presta valve drivel... :imaposer

it was a good weekend. Saturday and Sunday we did shorter and flatter 80km rides followed bu a hot soak and long lunch. Sunday B and I were sitting around talking about things aviation. Difference between talking and doing. She's getting her helicopter licence and we ended up in an AS350 for a couple of hours. It was worth it.
We got everyone where they needed to be yesterday morning. Early swim. No riding. I had another work overnighter. Gym after I got home tonight. Not my usual two activity days.
You don't find helicopters a little too dangerous to keep using?

I'm wary of how many of them that go down. Maybe that's just in the USA though.

They are maintenance pigs and mechanics and pilots need a lot of training to be kept current. Operators cannot get behind on either. And seriously, there are pilots who learn through rote and then there are aviators to whom a keen understanding comes naturally. There are mechanics and then there are mechanics...
Statistically helicopters crash more often than the rest of the GA fleet, but have a slightly lower overall fatality rate. And some models crash more often than others. However, statistics, impressions and hysterical click bait reporting don't govern accident rates. Actions do. Company helicopters cumulatively log over 25,000 hours annually and have a perfect safety record that puts them to the far right of the curve. We have to do the work to maintain that position.

I like my chances compared to a clapped out Citabria. :imaposer

This week two short rides last weekend, two no-ride smelly public gym days that got run and circuit targets for the week out of the way, swim, three scheduled 100km+ rides and short track sessions with the UA girls.

It's Friday again, too quickly, and my daughter and her friends are home. They have settled in for the evening. Who knows what we're doing this weekend... I won't make plans, just go wherever the wind blows us.

Statistics and their cohort extrapolation can be used for or against about anything.
I kind of prefer the touch the stove to find out if it is hot method better.
But I guess that’s why I’m sitting in a motel in bumf*ck Mexico waiting for the carne asada cart to start serving.

Humans are insane. I've watched you touch the stove and get burnt. I have seen the pain. I prefer to learn from your mistake and don't need to repeat your experience.

It's a night of no sleep. First a squawk from #2 munchkin. She has full time carers and I am the world's worst mother, but I can still hear her from the other side of the house. Then five and seven year old sisters climb into my bed. Their parents are gone and I inherited the responsibility. I don't know how that happened... Did I mention I am the world's worst mother? At least they are easy to feed. They want to eat what I eat and when I got up this morning they devoured a fruit smoothie and Cook's Provencal jumbalaia on toasted rye before they go back to bed. I'll go for a ride in a little while and carers come in a bit later. It is a daily ritual.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh