What's new

Bicycle thread

I use to live not far from the original the air dock.
I'm not sure how yall get derailers and chains to survive. Very tricky and lots of maintenance. Everytime I get a derailer bike I swear its the last time.

I don't doubt that counterfeit chains exist. i wonder if Wipperman has finally solved their SRAM 12-speed chain issues to where they are selling them yet?

--------

Visited a Goodyear blimp base on Saturday. From what I recall at its predecessor's replacement, this is no longer a blimp - it's an airship. They've come a long way since the last blimps from just a few years ago to the point that the ground crew for landings went from 12 people to three people.

sS0hRTu.jpg

Two props at the rear: one for attitude adjustment and forward/reverse thrust, the other for steering like a helicopter.

By8ZO09.jpg

And here is a small part of the envelop of the Goodyear blimp that crashed in 2005.

87KCSZ8.jpg
fevuznR.jpg

KMC and Shimano are hammered by fakes on eBay, Amazon and Aliexpress. These sites should be avoided unless you know that the seller is also a reputable bricks and mortar store.
Counterfeiting (not the ex oem grey imports with serials removed sram tries to pass off as counterfeiting) is also a problem for Sram, but I don't know about chains. Sram has enough issues of its own...

Lack of Wippermann 12s chain has only been a problem in that there isn't anything available with a reusable link. The cost of Shimano links stack up quickly even when buying bulk boxes so I know what I prefer. Campagnolo equipped bikes have KMC and missing links because I won't push a joining pin through the same Campagnolo link twice. I expect Wippermann to overcome issues and delays eventually and when they do I'll be among the first.

Last edited:
Anyone else a collector? I just dropped a dime on an 80s repop mongoose. Jeez these things got put on ebay at a 500-700% markup last time. I'll take a pic when it gets here. But ya I also have a schwinn sprint, madison track bike and some bmx but bmx is my favorite. I recently ordered a cheap 29" bca just because it was assembled in SC. US assembly is rare. Certain cheap crappy bikes have crazy value decades later. I also have some other 80s jap lugged frame 10 speeds waiting for updates....I just found race inc. has rereleases. Ok between the bmx cruiser bike build parts replacements and these retro bikes I could buy a motorcycle. I wish I still had all the rare parts I destroyed in the last 40yrs. I only cruize around the bikes I like to collect other bikes... The bmx beach cruiser is costing $1 a min of riding in replacements but no chain breaks. I checked all my kmc chains..ha seem real. I dont think 1/8 or 3/16 got counterfeited. I could be wrong

Reactions: CTG
My collection is thirty plus road bikes, mostly early to mid 80's. Some are earlier, some a bit later. Nearly all new in original packaging. Many were frame only and I have been buying NOS 80's Campagnolo Record and Anniversary, plus era components where I can find them.

I have spent something like €200k on bikes not for riding. Most of the pro peloton is represented and they are rotated through the club shop where they are displayed... I am working on the 70's now.

Last edited:
That is a collection! Roadbike frames were easy to get a few years back and some decent completes. Alot nice roadbike frames got sccoped up for fixie conversions.

My collection is thirty plus road bikes, mostly early to mid 80's. Some are earlier, some a bit later. Nearly all new in original packaging. Many were frame only and I have been buying NOS 80's Campagnolo Record and Anniversary, plus era components where I can find them.

I have spent something like €200k on bikes not for riding. Most of the pro peloton is represented and they are rotated through the club shop where they are displayed... I am working on the 70's now.

You don't happen to have a Colnago Maipei Brokobi blocks/bricks-paint frame, do you? My favorite. Those are why to this day if I see a Colnago roadbike with a single-color paint, I scoff at them. Colnagos deserve killer paint schemes.

That is a collection! Roadbike frames were easy to get a few years back and some decent completes. Alot nice roadbike frames got sccoped up for fixie conversions.

That is sacrilegious. The previous owner of most of mine absolutely would not allow a bike to go to someone for a fixie conversion. He was mildly upset when I took a brand new 1984 Colnago Super frame out of its original packaging, built it up with Campagnolo Anniversary... then rode it! Less than 200km total and I have no intention of riding it again... He made me promise! lol

Road frames are wrong for fixies anyway. 130mm drops vs 120mm. I bet some of those frames are being murdered.

You don't happen to have a Colnago Maipei Brokobi blocks/bricks-paint frame, do you? My favorite. Those are why to this day if I see a Colnago roadbike with a single-color paint, I scoff at them. Colnagos deserve killer paint schemes.

Mine are single colour. Modern bikes even repainted single (and right) colour. Scoff all you want...

Reactions: MVI
Ya any roadbike frame or complete bike with some chance of adjusting chain tension might get bought for fixie, ss or igh 3 speed conversion. Now that proper frames exist with nice dropouts it has slowed down some.

Ya any roadbike frame or complete bike with some chance of adjusting chain tension might get bought for fixie, ss or igh 3 speed conversion. Now that proper frames exist with nice dropouts it has slowed down some.

Frame building is a hobby for me and during covid lockdown I was building a frame every three weeks or so - lots of time on my hands. Mostly steel road bikes. Lots of fixies. Columbus Life and investment cast lugs from 3D printed "wax" for specific geometry. It is almost impossible to keep them. Then a foray into welded titanium. I spent time working out how to draw and hydroform the top tube with integrated head tube and the right material distribution. I got that to work, but in the end I didn't like that my welds were not to the standard I wanted. Perfect! That is a skill that needs a lot of work to develop. Best I stick to things I know I can do well. The latest is 3D printed titanium lugs and bonded hydroformed tubes. The printer is expensive, but so worth it. Forks are titanium. I make my stems, seat posts, headsets, bottom brackets and a few other parts. Disk brakes. The 8 speed fixie hub is made in Au and last time I had to buy the entire production run to get one.

There was such a demand for fixies that they were being built (in the EU, not China) for the club shop and the first shipment disappeared before the container was unpacked... They are not in demand here because they are fashionable, most are used to develop the spin. They are also great winter bikes. A chain and sprocket costs about €20. A chain ring costs about €20 more. Try that with a modern 11 or 12 speed drivetrain. And they age well. They won't be obsolete five minutes after they leave the shop.

Morning ritual again with the munchkins... getting ready to ride now. It's dark and cold.

The GF says that she wants aero bars on her gravel bike like the ones I have. There is a chance hers will arrive soon enough (supposedly the 23rd) that I can wrap them and put them under the Christmas tree.
Thanks again, Christine.

That's great!

Something else that could be of value to you or your girlfriend are spacers.They are often overlooked. I was using PD or making my own and I didn't realise Pro made them until recently. You'd see why in the link.

This is what the image on the page should look like.
pro-missile-clip-on-aero-bar-extension-bar-spacer-set-prab0068.jpg
Part# PRAB0068

Not everyone races and mostly we set up aerobar pads around the same height as the saddle. 30-50mm spacers. Like getting elbows back, they help body angle and the rider isn't force forward to open their riding position. One of our club riders does brevets and ultra endurance events and hers are 70mm above the saddle with 120mm spacers. It seems like a lot to me, but I am not the one spending twenty hours at a time on the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh