What's new

Bicycle thread

More insanity..backflip tailwhip to nose pick to tailwhip out. The best part is no brakes so the front wheel was locked with a foot before landing

Anyone have any experience with the Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow saddles?

Seem like an OK design. Unfortunately, the narrow size is the only one on sale on Amazon - the 145-width one is still $225. I'm going to hold out until the price comes down a little.

Saddles are a personal thing... you know that! :imaposer

Edit: Just noticed the $50 freight charge.

T00ZVpN.png

Not the first time that has happened...

Another one of the girls got herself banned from Zwift forums yesterday for challenging posts. She was warned. The Zwift forum is a hive minded cult of brainwashed oxygen starved morons incapable of independent thought being led by Gerrie Delport. It is disturbing what hard won (by others) freedoms people will give away for a little warm and fuzzy... All I can say is she is better off without them.

And for me... 110km and about 2500m in 3.5 hours with friends this morning. First climb of the morning in the dark and sub zero temperature to meet the sunrise.

Not the first time that has happened...

Another one of the girls got herself banned from Zwift forums yesterday for challenging posts. She was warned. The Zwift forum is a hive minded cult of brainwashed oxygen starved morons incapable of independent thought being led by Gerrie Delport. It is disturbing what hard won (by others) freedoms people will give away for a little warm and fuzzy... All I can say is she is better off without them.

And for me... 110km and about 2500m in 3.5 hours with friends this morning. First climb of the morning in the dark and sub zero temperature to meet the sunrise.

What, specifically, was she challenging? (if I may ask without getting us all into trouble - if it's C, S&M, then skip it)

---------

I'm debating getting a spin-class gift certificate for my mother for Christmas. Seeing how many people go to those, and then are all in the same room breathing heavily, I am now thinking that it might be a really bad idea for a 76 year old to try one out. Still, I'd like her to be cycling-active during the winter so that getting back on her bike in the summer isn't such a challenge. I had bought her an inside-trainer bike for Christmas last year, but she made me return it.

What, specifically, was she challenging? (if I may ask without getting us all into trouble - if it's C, S&M, then skip it)

---------

I'm debating getting a spin-class gift certificate for my mother for Christmas. Seeing how many people go to those, and then are all in the same room breathing heavily, I am now thinking that it might be a really bad idea for a 76 year old to try one out. Still, I'd like her to be cycling-active during the winter so that getting back on her bike in the summer isn't such a challenge. I had bought her an inside-trainer bike for Christmas last year, but she made me return it.

She challenged behaviour. It is normal practice for problems with Zwift and well known spaghetti code (that doesn't even have debugging ability for proper bug reports) to be blamed on user hardware and/or setup. Gerrie is the first to ask inane questions that draw a blank, then blame the user.
Zwift censors its forums under the guise of maintenance and silences dissent to paint a rosy picture.

I have no suggestions for your mother. She has to want it whatever it is.

Last edited:
She challenged behaviour. It is normal practice for problems with Zwift and well known spaghetti code (that doesn't even have debugging ability for proper bug reports) to be blamed on user hardware and/or setup. Gerrie is the first to ask inane questions that draw a blank, then blame the user.
Zwift censors its forums under the guise of maintenance and silences dissent to paint a rosy picture.

Wow.

From what I can tell, TrainerRoad - while not gamer-esque enough for many of the newer generations I guess - is pretty up front about the limitations of their programming. The great thing is that they are always pushing what the analytics and calculated next-training-session adjustments can do (great for those of us who don't have / don't want to pay personal trainers).

For example, they just debuted AI FTP calculations for what seems to be a majority of riders who hate FTP tests.

Moreover, their podcasts really do some deep dives into current theories and into what works for them to be successful athletes. I don't generally watch these, but instead listen to them via podcasts during commuting.

tamGWzg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CTG
RGT is the popular alternative and the company behaves professionally.

WRT to podcasts... It seems everyone is trying to push their brand of snake oil. It's too much noise for me to filter.

Three hours this morning with the usual gang.

One of my favourite posts from Zwift forums:

No, Watopia, it is not the Utopia it appears to be on the surface. It is a device created for the elite to disguise the Dystopia underneath and Zwift, through their agents, umm... wayfarers, pawns blissful in their ignorance (wouldn't want any of them in a position of real power) is conditioning the sheeple for the totalitarian regime to come.

PS. I better add a smiley. :wink:

It was censored.

Today was a swim and gym day, no bike, or so I thought. I ended up doing a sprint session on the track. I have a useful sprint well above my weight and I still have my butt handed to me. It is a lotta lotta fun.

Did a covid booster with the omicron variant, and a shingles shot in the other arm, on Friday. Wow did that screw my weekend up - especially Saturday.

Tried to be kind and ride with a slower group Sunday - which was cool cause I felt like crap, and now they hope to see me every Sunday. Meanwhile, peeps I used to ride with passed by at big speeds. ... How does one get over the embarrassment and such of being capable, but not being what one can be? I'm just not sure I could get back to where I was before Covid and the foot surgery earlier this year, and if I did it would take up all my time - which isn't an option at the moment. But it ain't fun being weak and slow.

Reactions: CTG
I've managed to avoid covid. Quarantine through the worst of it and vaccinations. Gloves, masks and hand sanitiser are not a fashion statement. If anything it should be a message to people to keep their distance. I've always had the cardiovascular system that allows me to perform above my weight and covid and the effects it has had on you would really, ummm... annoy me. Some people are stupid. I step back and they follow me. Keep stepping back and they chase me around... I think you know me well enough to know how that is going to end. lol

My excuse this year is #2 daughter. Babies are wrecking balls. I am mostly over it now, but there have been challenges and changes. In some areas I feel stronger.

My last FTP was slightly over 305W. CP30 is about 340. I am happy with that. At my best I was around 320-330W that was good for climbing and CP30 over 360W that I used to good effect in 25km TTs. 12min power is an outlier. 15s over 1100W. FTP upsets some people looking at power/weight and VO2max because of my low weight. I still get a bit of that. Normalise to typical weight of about 55kg for 163cm and people barely raise an eyebrow. I am feeling good about it now.

Forwared to me tonight. A legitimate question, but look how quickly it was censored.

Reminds me again of McKinnon masquerading as a woman at the master's world championships.

Last edited:
Another week... I flew out with T on Monday after the morning ride. I thought it would be an overnight stay at the most. I was gone all week. We got a couple of rides in, but had to drip some oil on chains and put new tyres on a couple of bikes hanging on my apartment wall. Last time they were ridden was January 2020.

A couple of chain issues this week. One of the girls was complaining about noisy gears. The bike shop that replaced it denied responsibility and did nothing. I had a look at it last night and the 600km chain was over 0.75% and looks like a counterfeit. This was from a bricks and mortar store. I replaced it with a Wippermann.
The other was a broken chain that looks like it was incorrectly installed. The chain parted at the rivet, wrapped up and broke the stay and the rider lost some skin <- that btw is a huge issue. Again the bike shop and mechanic denied any responsibility and treated her atrociously. I took it back and got the same treatment. That was enough. The difference this time is I own the shop (it is not a club shop yet and only the manager who wasn't there yet has met me) and heads rolled. Everyone involved in the ensuing melee was fired on the spot and she got a new bike out of it. Seriously, anything she wanted.

She rides unpaved trails with her school group during the week and road on the weekends and chose a Wilier Rave with Campy SR and two sets of DT wheels for road and gravel. Nice! We put it together last night and she rode it today.

The less mechanically inclined need to be able to trust the LBS. They need to be able to trust that they are not being ripped off and their bikes are safe.

Last edited:
Haha... Another one of the girls was banned and her posts deleted from Zwift forums tonight.

Posts were aimed at being helpful to the OP, but did not fit Zwift's narrative.

Chains...back in the 80s chains were the most failed part in our group. Followed by headsets then cranks. I got sick and tired of chain blow outs. I was about 13yrs old and scored 20ft of garage door opener chain. The endless chains I made lasted the next 10 yrs with no failures. Ha.. then the chainring, spider and chainring bolts then had to be upgraded with heavy duty solid steel sprockets. Which only worked with one piece cranks at the time. And finding a 1 piece that could survive was really tough. The 90s brought new parts that solved all these problems like the a headset, real deal 3 piece and way more chain options including the fat chain overkill. Kids today have way better parts choice. Full spin chain blowouts were a little horrific to experience or witness. Usually happened miles from home too. Good times

I don't doubt that counterfeit chains exist. i wonder if Wipperman has finally solved their SRAM 12-speed chain issues to where they are selling them yet?

--------

Visited a Goodyear blimp base on Saturday. From what I recall at its predecessor's replacement, this is no longer a blimp - it's an airship. They've come a long way since the last blimps from just a few years ago to the point that the ground crew for landings went from 12 people to three people.

sS0hRTu.jpg

Two props at the rear: one for attitude adjustment and forward/reverse thrust, the other for steering like a helicopter.

By8ZO09.jpg

And here is a small part of the envelop of the Goodyear blimp that crashed in 2005.

87KCSZ8.jpg
fevuznR.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh