What's new

Bicycle thread

This morning four of us got out for a motopaced tandem session. Fast tandems (not your average Cannondale) start at 40kph just dribbling along without a draft. Two motos in front and the pace is in the 60s. On gently undulating country roads we were briefly reaching 80kph spinning a 57t ring. Try not to puke a lung! Top speed for the session was 88kph. Super fun!

I got out on the new 650 MTB this afternoon. Loosely an MTB. It is a CX hybrid. GRX group, 50mm fine tread tyres and 142mm wheel set are clues. It is gravel bike fast on the smooth, inspires confidence in the rough and is very fast on the pump track. I think it is a winner. It'll be critiqued by people who actually ride MTBs during the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Were in progress to demo an old barn today.

Found an mostly intact bicycle, no chain, no tires, only a seat pan left

1688240304229.png

check out the main sprocket teeth spacing

1688240409556.png

any old timers know what make or model this is?

Were in progress to demo an old barn today.

Found an mostly intact bicycle, no chain, no tires, only a seat pan left

1688240304229.png

check out the main sprocket teeth spacing

1688240409556.png

any old timers know what make or model this is?
Skip tooth chain wheel! Maybe a pre war Colson. Not many loop tail frames from that era. Frame is worth some money.

Reactions: MVI
I thought there'd be a lot of old timers here.

I have a fairly large vintage bike collection, mostly early to mid 1980s.

My antique bike collection is from the 1970s. :D

Skip tooth chain wheel! Maybe a pre war Colson. Not many loop tail frames from that era. Frame is worth some money.

Thanks, i did some searching and found a vintage Colson Looptail, however this one is not a skip tooth sprocket

1688308518499.png

our old rusty bike frame still has this "tab" on the neck of the handlebars

1688308654360.png

I thought there'd be a lot of old timers here.

I have a fairly large vintage bike collection, mostly early to mid 1980s.

My antique bike collection is from the 1970s. :D
Not an old timer yet.. There are early 1900s to 1970s bikes hidden all over. Usually in bad condition. The frames get scooped up for resto mods.

Reactions: CTG
Thanks, i did some searching and found a vintage Colson Looptail, however this one is not a skip tooth sprocket

1688308518499.png

our old rusty bike frame still has this "tab" on the neck of the handlebars

1688308654360.png
The skip tooth phased out in the 50s. Rim width might help. I would guess you have a pre war skinny tire bike. There was a site ratrodbikes. I haven't visited for a very long time. But there might be some info or links to classic bikes.

Could throw on some nice 26 coaster wheels and soda blast/steel wool the usable parts...and ride.

Not an old timer yet.. There are early 1900s to 1970s bikes hidden all over. Usually in bad condition. The frames get scooped up for resto mods.

Most of mine were bought in their original packaging from a collector. I buy 70's and 80's Campagnolo groups, Mavic and Ambrosia rims and other era specific parts as they become available to build up the frame sets. That irritated the original owner, but he came around to the bikes being seen. Only a Colnago Super with Campagnolo 50th has been ridden a handful of times.

1980's road bikes are popular for fixie conversions... even though they have the wrong drops and spacing. Lots of good frames are being ruined.

I am a hobbiest frame builder and built what seems like dozens of fixies in steel and Ti. I usually gift them away. Club shop has their own version built and is able to sell them to members for less than €300, but even twice that upstairs in the retail shop is still a bargain. Reynolds tube set and house brand components, quality, modern gear, even wider tyres and disk brakes, not China junk. The Ti bikes are another level. Any colour you want as long as it is blue. The bikes sell very quickly. Better than ruining good frames.

Last edited:
Most of mine were bought in their original packaging from a collector. I buy 70's and 80's Campagnolo groups, Mavic and Ambrosia rims and other era specific parts as they become available to build up the frame sets. That irritated the original owner, but he came around to the bikes being seen. Only a Colnago Super with Campagnolo 50th has been ridden a handful of times.

1980's road bikes are popular for fixie conversions... even though they have the wrong drops and spacing. Lots of good frames are being ruined.

I am a hobbiest frame builder and built what seems like dozens of fixies in steel and Ti. I usually gift them away. Club shop has them built and is able to sell them to members for less than €300, but even twice that upstairs in the retail shop is still a bargain. Reynolds tube set and house brand components, quality, modern gear, even wider tyres and disk brakes, not China junk. The Ti bikes are another level. Any colour you want as long as it is blue. The bikes sell very quickly. Better than ruining good frames.

Our bike culture is all over the place for desirability on parts. The roadie fans go after bikes you might like. The custom scene is more beach cruiser style resto mod stuff which overlaps into klunker and lowrider. There was a post war balloon tire era with fake gas tanks and headlights. The same bikes stripped down were industrial factory bikes. This never went away...beach cruisers are sill very popular 70yrs later. Anything fast was usually not built here. Old 3 speed "racers" is what an old timer might remember as a fast bike.

I rode my bike yesterday on our 4th of July. I would not normally have done this as the beach is filled with an extra several helpings of stupid, but I had the day so I took the chance. As it happened, I was late in the afternoon giving me a guaranteed warm if not hot ride.

The neighborhood was already under aerial bombardment on all fronts. Parking around the park was doubled up with no one enforcing the no parking in the bike lane signs. I had to use the smallest bit of traffic lane nearest the centerline thanks to triple deck parking.

Managed to escape the hood unscathed to the coast trail where I found the wobbling hoards of holiday makers all on electrified bikes of one sort or another. None requiring any pedaling motion. One kid sped past just after an ex-pro cyclist came around, startling both of us with how close and fast he was going. Had to be closer to 30 mph than the posted 15mph limit. With wobbling groups in both directions some even sipping beers or drinks in cups, plenty of selfie wobbles. Certainly no place for speed.

The kid turned around and came speeding back forcing us to the square curb at our right as he passed a group holding his phone out with one hand and steering toward us with the other with his attention nowhere near driving a bicycle.

We were not hit or killed, but we both got over to the curb and barely missed being snagged by the short surfboard.

The rest of the ride was more me sitting on his wheel to the parking lot where pace is maxed at 5mph with the crowds everywhere even that was a bit much.

Miles of fishbellywhite skin exposed for the favorite American tradition of the 4th of July sunburn. Always adds real fun to work the next day, I'm betting.

Any way we had a good time talking bicycles, aging, racing and racing in Colorado along with remembering old races and people we used to ride with and knew there. Good fun. He stopped at the harbor for a picnic with friends and I headed inland for more work and saddle time. About two miles later I noticed the pwoermeter on my left pedal had come apart. The adhesive giving up the fight. I pulled the connector and stuffed it in my pocket.

At the park at Ortega I decided I'd skip the return to the beach and the crowds there. Here at the park there was only me and a couple of people at the pickle ball courts. I headed south on Antonio up the hills that on a day when I'm in better condition would be rollers. Today they were hot, slow hills into the wind. Me using the bottom of the cluster much of the time.

IMG_3964-X3.jpg

The phone camera really flattens this. I liked the level of traffic out here.

I turned off after the last of the three summits and a short descent to Hermosa and headed over to Pico. This would make a short shallow climb then a long shallow descent to Pico where I turned and headed to North beach.

IMG_3966-X2.jpg

Only a little congestion as the lost tourists intent on finding a parking spot at the beach on a holiday at 3:30 in the afternoon, managed to stop in the middle of a block, nearly crossing the double yellow line, then failing to notice they had the right of way, yet were stopping at an intersection. with nobody at either crossing yield.
I had to follow one car about half way back to my street before they finally turned away.

Once to my street I waved hello to a friend on his deck, who invited me up to meet all his friends who were over to celebrate.
Now, I'd just done 30 miles or so in the heat so I was sweaty and dripping. I begged off the invitation to stay and instead went home for cold water and a shower.

I'll get another ride on Thursday. I think since Friday is dental appointments.

We are into the summer now with full summer kit and sunscreen. My food pocket holds a fresh tube of the stuff now to be reapplied at every rest stop.

Our bike culture is all over the place for desirability on parts. The roadie fans go after bikes you might like. The custom scene is more beach cruiser style resto mod stuff which overlaps into klunker and lowrider. There was a post war balloon tire era with fake gas tanks and headlights. The same bikes stripped down were industrial factory bikes. This never went away...beach cruisers are sill very popular 70yrs later. Anything fast was usually not built here. Old 3 speed "racers" is what an old timer might remember as a fast bike.

Bike culture hey? :imaposerDon't go all Zoomer on me and delete all of your posts from this thread! lol

You'll find a lot of overlap. Club shops sell a lot of city in different shapes and cruiser like bikes. It is downstairs in the members area the usual road and gravel types dominate.

The one thing they sell less is MTBs. That market is very fickle and most people would be better off on a gravel bike. Even my recently completed MTB that is being handed around now owes more to gravel (and mid 2000s) than anything else.

Last edited:
Bike culture hey? :imaposerDon't go all Zoomer on me and delete all of your posts from this thread! lol

You'll find a lot of overlap. Club shops sell a lot of city in different shapes and cruiser like bikes. It is downstairs in the members area the usual road and gravel types dominate.

The one thing they sell less is MTBs. That market is very fickle and most people would be better off on a gravel bike. Even my recently completed MTB that is being handed around now owes more to gravel (and mid 2000s) than anything else.
Nah no deletes..just american standard 1 piece crank single speed stuff. So old school bmx, beach cruiser and ballon tire bikes share parts. We are kinda the bucket t land of bicycles with older parts.

Got a ride in today after watching the peloton get over the Tourmelet. I was thinking I'd get out earlier, but it was still feeling chilly, so I checked the weather and waited.
Three hours and a bit. Did a bit more climbing. And on the way back from my turnaround I enjoyed a nice cool headwind all the way home.

IMG_3981-X2.jpg

Summer kit with a base layer was very nice when I got in the shade. Inland will get into the 90's next week, while we'll have to deal with 80. The new screen door makes the house feel like somebody turned the AC up to stun.

Got a ride in on Saturday. Took aim at the gran fondo and missed by 5km. Still a good day on the bike with fair bit of climbing for me.

IMG_3999-X2.jpg

Warm enough inland the data shows 33°C for a high and 16 for the low. Base layer under summer kit was fine.

I felt good to almost strong. Still dumb enough to chase anyone who passes me, just to see if I can catch. I couldn't. But, by that point I was about 50km into the ride and it did occur to me I should probably save some for later.

Good thing too, since the breeze off the ocean was in my face and had freshened enough that I was putting down 175 watts on the flat to keep the bike rolling along at 30kph. By the time I got back to North Beach that level of effort was done. I still managed to stand on the pedals up the short hills home.

Today is a chores day. I got the base coat of rust proofing primer on the garden furniture, we'll get the finish coats on in the evenings this week.
Laundry is in the dryer, furniture upstairs is moved around the floors sweated. I'm sitting here with a big glass of cold water relaxing for a bit, then I need to stir up some pizza dough.

In other news, I feel like I'm consolidating and cleaning up my life ... meaning that I took my 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT full-quish 26" to the shop for them to rebuild the fork and shock. And to put working brakes on it. And... I guess ALL the bearings were bad, seized or rusted (OK, some of them only had very old grease in them, but they are changing those out too). The 'urge' was to buy a salvage title pickup truck and fix that up, but I got to thinking about things that either needed to be fixed up first or thrown out/sold.

Riding the 1998 hardtail MTB with Dwight (ADV Bappo ) on really, really easy-going trails a few weekends ago showed me the benefit of doing some cross-training.

VFu8Fby.jpg

Then subsequent window-shopping (website browsing) showed I was looking at $3,200 to $3,800 for a full-squish 29" equivalent that I wasn't planning on riding most weekends. But, like any rebuilding project, I underestimated the numbers of parts I'd need to replace, lol.

BxJaeGV.jpg

2pakCKA.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday managed my July gran fondo. Mostly unplanned. I left the. house with one bottle with a Nuun tablet in it because we have a building heatwave, and only a small bag of Jelly Belly go beans. Only 100 calories in the bag. I usually only eat maybe four at a time.

Yesterday. I got to the park, and decided I could do the Antonio climb. By the time I got to Crown Valley Road, I'd decided I could maybe make Santa Margarita if I stopped at the mid-way water stop. I did just that.
At Santa Margarita I figured I was going to need fuel for the ride back, but also figured I could make Florence Joyner park for water and eat a few more beans, then hit up the Rock 'n Road for some fancy cycling treats.

That worked. I got some Honey Stinger blocks and a couple of bags of GU. While I was waiting there they had the last 3km of the stage on so I watched that. Noticed they also had a Pinarello F7 in in my size in glossy red and black with Ultegra for $8,800. Nice machine.
I briefly considered this, but we're buying dental care this summer to the tune of a custom painted Dogma F with full campy. SO, NBD will have to wait.

IMG_4018-X2.jpg

I'm slowly shrinking back into fitting in my kit. A good way to go yet to make it OK.
All went well the rest of the ride. Got home with 102km for the day.

A little over 4:30 to get it done, so not real fast, but I had a good time. Next chance for a ride is Saturday, so more heat training.

I'll be prepared.

The last two weeks have been a mixed bag of super fast tandem and solo rides in small to large groups, easy Z1 rides with the mothers and novices, flat and mountains long and short and a few track sessions mixed in - that was money well spent. Monday and Friday evening club criteriums, I'm not racing, but make an appearance to show support when I can. This morning was a fast moto pace session.

Pinarello.... I've gone off them. My favourite Pinarello is still the F10. I never did find a way to like the F12. One of my Dogma F bikes has had a TT make over and is at least equal to my old Bolides... and a LOT lighter. CdA under 0.2 FWIW. Some parts were matched in a wind tunnel. Especially the more critical interactions such as between the front wheel and fork and frame. I finished the aero using an Aeropod and DFPM. My very slick textured skin suits still fit. It has been ridden twice in anger this year. Puke a lung and collapse gasping efforts at 208bpm max finishing 25km in under 32 minutes. I still have it.
Colnago and especially Wilier are preferred now. I mostly rode a Wilier Rave while there was still snow on the ground. Wilier Filante is my favourite. Colnago V4Rs when I want a change. There is something about them that is more Italian than a Pinarello so they are built with Campagnolo SR. Pinarello is "only" Dura Ace. :dunno

Summer holiday and #1 munchkin and her gang are staying at the air club in the Rhone valley. They have finished school and are getting pilot licences. Somehow I have groups of students who are completely unrelated to my daughter coming here for summers. Like a summer camp, but not! Every day I fly with young students. Even when I have to be somewhere else, just grab one or more for some off book time and go. B is doing the same.

I still manage to get some work done. Every day a thousand decisions that are draining.

Picked it up today. I guess I kinda gave them carte blanche to replace what needed to be replaced. Strange, we didn't speak much of what they were doing beyond the bearings and headset. Only when I had paid and was loading the bike up onto the bike rack did I notice the blue spoke nipples. I thought that they accidentally left somebody else's wheel on my bike. Then I saw the XT hub ... so I was SURE they let me leave with someone else's wheel ... until I looked at the rim and found that it was the same rim that was on the front - the rim the bike came with. Not until I got back to work and brought it inside for safe keeping did I notice the double-butted spokes on the rear wheel.

So, really, I have no clue what else they changed on the bike, lol. I think I heard him say 'rings,' but I thought he meant 'cassette.' Now, though, I'm suspecting that they changed rings as well. Good shop.

The hydraulic brakes were shot on it - master cylinders just bad and leaking. Since the Kona gravel bike is now broken, I pulled the TRP double-pull cable brakes off of it and asked them to use them on this. I love the look of them, love the simplicity of cable brakes. Since a facet I learned over time, back when I used to ride this bike, was to use brakes as little as possible to maintain momentum, and since this is Florida, I figured that I just really didn't need the superior power of hydraulics. It remains to be seen what the modulation will be like, but I bought Avid adjustable-pull levers, so perhaps that will help with that.

I5V0AVP.jpg

jRVxHwB.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh