What's new

Bicycle thread

I rode another gran fondo yesterday. But, included a lap of the 1984 Olympic road course. Hot? Yes. 38°C was the high on the road. 1,062m of climbing. The. steep hill on the course caused me to stop and rest. Let my HR drop down to 110 before setting off for the top. I stopped at the top as well to rest in the spotted shade. The rest of the course, by comparison is pretty easy rollers with a long semi-shallow climb.

Before I set off, I took a mid-ride rest and refresh at the Olympiad park,

IMG_4061-X2.jpg

The first time I'd ever noticed these reflectors.

Finished the ride with a shortcut back home flat and easier along the river trail for 4:45 and 107km.

I burned a few matches chasing faster riders. And catching, but not having enough in the tank to pull through or pull through for long or in any meaningful way.

One guy, a RAAM rider had been on the bike since 5:30am and this was about 1:30pm. I could just stay on his wheel on the flat or shallow hill back to Santa Margarita, but by Oso he dropped me on the shallow climb out of there. I lost sight of him just before Crown Valley Road. I assume he turned at the fire station because he ad said he was close to home.

I only managed to stay awake until 8:30pm. I was really tired. Plenty hydrated though, judging by how often I got up during the night.

Three more possible days to ride to close out July, before my motorcycle trip.
My health metrics show I'm averaging almost three hours of exercise per day over the last twenty-five days.

I just dropped a $20 frame bag off to have a $50 zipper installed in it. :oscar

Amazon product ASIN B07YN2TFSM
was the bag I chose after sending a number of bags back for the 2022 Diverge. It doesn't block the pulling of the front water bottle, and it fit the frame the best. But... during my cross-Florida gravel ride last year the zipper broke early in the ride from the pressure of having so many little baggies of Tailwind (plus beet juice powder, plus a little extra electrolyte in each baggie) in it. But... it fits the frame at the headtube / top tube / down tube angle nicely and - again - does not get in the way of the bottle.

I initially took it to my alterations lady since I had two shirts for her to address, but she stated that a shoe repair place would be better able to handle it. The shoe repair place stated that to copy the internally-sewn zipper would be about $120, where-as an externally-sewn zipper would be $50. He asked how much it would be for me to just buy a new one, lol. ($20 is what that would be)

Reactions: CTG
This more for a canvas repairer, tents, awnings or someone who does marine work.

PS. I caught your Strava follow request today. There is nothing in that profile. None on Strava, period. Nada, zip. I only use it to look in on friends.

Last edited:
This more for a canvas repairer, tents, awnings or someone who does marine work.

PS. I caught your Strava follow request today. There is nothing in that profile. None on Strava, period. Nada, zip. I only use it to look in on friends.
:smooch

I figured, but I thought I'd try to see these epic rides y'all are doing. :-)

-------

IMG_4448re.jpg

It was on this trail, below, that I'd learn what stinging nettles felt like all over the legs and arms. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/HB002 The tall grasses were hiding pain and annoyance. I was advised by one of the local riders that, despite the extreme heat and humidity, that's why he was wearing MTB pants (not shorts) and a long-sleeve MTB jersey. Gosh darn it, I really wasn't looking to invest in new gear (above a MTB specific helmet ... a new $36 Giro that is just perfect for it with the added rear protection compared to my fast helmets).

IMG_4450re.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing epic. At the moment 80km, <2:30 per day with the fast group. Only one 45min climb. Mondays and Fridays I try to get to the summer crits. I am not competing. Still getting a swim or gym session in each day. Evening track session is fun. I have a fairly good sprint, but some of the girls drag me backwards. The track has been a huge success with over one hundred users every day. This month I hosted two rounds of the crit series. Next month they'll be back for the hill climb finale. There is still a lot of non competitive riding.

I get hammered by work and Ua non profit. The war just makes me angry. Time with student pilots most days brightens things and I am on the test program for one of two new aircraft...

I'd be nervous about riding through that long grass in proximity to the water. Who knows what is hiding in there. Not little annoyances. I'm thinking big bities.

You're out there testing new aircraft, and allowing students to take the controls, and you're worried about animals you can't see? :rofl

One cool thing about that trail system was just how many 1-foot and 1.5-foot lizards were running out of the bike's way while up on their two rear legs. Just neat to see bi-pedal runners ... kinda like Jurassic park back there.

I think I saw a larger animal getting out of the way, but I was so focused that it took a second to register, and the memory of the shape I had seen (peripherally) just past my left handlebar when I was turning right was oddly like a shape / item that was and wasn't there. It was in my brain as having splotches spread out in the size of a darker larger animal, but then splotches of no animal and just the ground. I don't know what it was, if anything. Certainly was larger than the rabbits back there. But that was one of the more interesting insights into how cognition and memory work.

Semi-retirement is awesome! Mountain biking at Lord Hill Regional Park today. My wife had knee surgery a couple of months ago and finally is back to where she can pedal, but we didn't want her to overdo it, so we just rode the relatively easy trails, and just for about an hour. Lots of hills at Lord Hill though, so it was a great workout.

Attachments

• 20230727_084601.jpg
    20230727_084601.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
You're out there testing new aircraft, and allowing students to take the controls, and you're worried about animals you can't see? :rofl

One cool thing about that trail system was just how many 1-foot and 1.5-foot lizards were running out of the bike's way while up on their two rear legs. Just neat to see bi-pedal runners ... kinda like Jurassic park back there.

I think I saw a larger animal getting out of the way, but I was so focused that it took a second to register, and the memory of the shape I had seen (peripherally) just past my left handlebar when I was turning right was oddly like a shape / item that was and wasn't there. It was in my brain as having splotches spread out in the size of a darker larger animal, but then splotches of no animal and just the ground. I don't know what it was, if anything. Certainly was larger than the rabbits back there. But that was one of the more interesting insights into how cognition and memory work.

Students don't get to fly those aircraft. They watch from the ground. We spend a lot of time on risk assessment and reduction. Nothing is hiding in the bushes...

A big bitey lizard in the grass is not something you can control... except to not follow the trail into long grass. It seems you are thinking about that at some level.

Last edited:
Snakes, hogs, gators, 800lb bears and I cant see 20ft into the brush from the trail. I tend to ride the trails in the winter when I can see. But the bull sharks is what actually has me thinking. A mile or so offshore solo on a paddleboard in murky water is interesting. A few great whites have been spotted over the years. And dolphins were seen way up the river. Which means sharks are there too.

Students don't get to fly those aircraft. They watch from the ground. We spend a lot of time on risk assessment and reduction. Nothing is hiding in the bushes...

A big bitey lizard in the grass is not something you can control... except to not follow the trail into long grass. It seems you are thinking about that at some level.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that this location, despite being right next to the everglades, probably doesn't attract the big bitey lizards. Probably only ones less than a meter in length... but then with that canal right beside it, who knows? I mean, you saw the video on the last page me me riding right past a bigger bitey lizard ... it's not like I'm the sharpest tool in the shed here, Christine. :dunno:lol3 I am a version of - as tough as this is for me to admit and write it - Florida Man.

Did I ever tell you the story of me kicking the rattle of the largest wild timber rattler I've ever seen while wearing flip flops?

Did I ever tell you about freedive-spearfishing the inlet known for bull sharks, with an inlet current that one had to fight with all their might (like the event horizon of a black hole) to stay out of? I saw a guy who did get sucked in, and wow was he scraped up once the fishermen pulled him out of the rocky inlet, lol.

I'm got Florida Man stories. I can't even recall many of them... two hard hits of covid seems to have attempted to do a hard-wipe of my memories. I've never heard that from other covid people though, so I don't know.

Last edited:
I bet even the small sizes pack a powerful bite.

That page was cringeworthy. Charles Darwin was onto something. Unfortunately the stupid are given every opportunity to procreate and further dilute the species.

Ridge Supply finally - after well over a year of waiting - got their taller Aero socks in stock. And the XL size is already sold out.

These are DeFeet 8" aero socks that are then done up in a Ridge design. I've been waiting since last year, and ordered two pair. (Taller socks may be aero, but they are also a fun form of sun protection - which I'm starting to get a little too much of lately)

... anyone know of any cool looking 10" or 12" socks?! :D

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ridge Supply finally - after well over a year of waiting - got their taller Aero socks in stock. And the XL size is already sold out.

These are DeFeet 8" aero socks that are then done up in a Ridge design. I've been waiting since last year, and ordered two pair. (Taller socks may be aero, but they are also a fun form of sun protection - which I'm starting to get a little too much of lately)

... anyone know of any cool looking 10" or 12" socks?! :D

Even the schoolgirls here don't do the schoolgirl look. :D

Tights. Mine are textured bibs with very slightly raised floral, I suppose, pattern. Same my long sleeve jerseys. Buff, gloves and sunnies. No exposed skin and all over no-tan. It has become a very popular look among my friends.
Aeropod working with a DFPM is the next best thing to a wind tunnel. The only thing that setup doesn't do is apparent angle, but it is enough now that I am not racing. My CdA is approaching 0.2, less in full TT mode.

This week we are in the UK. #1 munchkin and her gang will be going to Uni there and have a few things to organise. Most things they can do themselves.

On the flight in I met lovely softly and very well spoken, but determined young lady from Yorkshire. Super fit triathlete (I don't hold that against anyone), martial arts, shooter and juggling multiple jobs to get a university degree in criminology, pilot hours and endorsements. I recognise the struggle. We caught up again yesterday and it became another recruitment session.

We brought our bikes with us. Two hours in the mornings, but there isn't much to climb.

Even the schoolgirls here don't do the schoolgirl look. :D

Tights. Mine are textured bibs with very slightly raised floral, I suppose, pattern. Same my long sleeve jerseys. Buff, gloves and sunnies. No exposed skin and all over no-tan. It has become a very popular look among my friends.
Aeropod working with a DFPM is the next best thing to a wind tunnel. The only thing that setup doesn't do is apparent angle, but it is enough now that I am not racing. My CdA is approaching 0.2, less in full TT mode.

This week we are in the UK. #1 munchkin and her gang will be going to Uni there and have a few things to organise. Most things they can do themselves.

On the flight in I met lovely softly and very well spoken, but determined young lady from Yorkshire. Super fit triathlete (I don't hold that against anyone), martial arts, shooter and juggling multiple jobs to get a university degree in criminology, pilot hours and endorsements. I recognise the struggle. We caught up again yesterday and it became another recruitment session.

We brought our bikes with us. Two hours in the mornings, but there isn't much to climb.

A degree in criminology, and a pilots' hours - is a goal to be a police pilot?

------

You've seen my legs - I pull off the schoolgirl look quite nicely I'm told. :roflBut I bet my CdA is .4 or something. The wind and I just don't work well together even back when I was strong.

What are "sunnies" ? I just bought a second buff.

No tan... well that is generally a fashion for the people who are much better off (or goths). I just don't think guys look healthy if not tanned. Of the women I've seen do it, maybe they generally aren't endurance athletes in Florida? Of course tans are bad for our health, but such is the dichotomy of life.

I did buy the white Castelli leg coverings, but I've never had the guts to wear them out after seeing just a few people wearing them. I'd rather had taller socks and use a little sunblock. That stated, back when I had had a gravel crash and skinned up my knee pretty badly, I found that I had a pair of ski (??) socks from Smartwool that I ordered that are ridiculously long. Like, they come up to almost my knees. That skinned-knee incident was just before the cool weather came in, so it hit me that perhaps I could try the tall ski socks and regular riding shorts. I found out that I preferred riding in those extremely tall, warmer socks and normal length shorts than I did with cool-weather tights over the bibs.

I know, I know - I'm a fashion trend-setter.

------

Using TrainerRoad as my cycling coach. I'm thinking of perhaps actually getting a cycling coach for a few months, but I'm not sure if just a few months' work is a job they'd even be willing to take on.

A degree in criminology, and a pilots' hours - is a goal to be a police pilot?

------

You've seen my legs - I pull off the schoolgirl look quite nicely I'm told. :roflBut I bet my CdA is .4 or something. The wind and I just don't work well together even back when I was strong.

What are "sunnies" ? I just bought a second buff.

No tan... well that is generally a fashion for the people who are much better off (or goths). I just don't think guys look healthy if not tanned. Of the women I've seen do it, maybe they generally aren't endurance athletes in Florida? Of course tans are bad for our health, but such is the dichotomy of life.

I did buy the white Castelli leg coverings, but I've never had the guts to wear them out after seeing just a few people wearing them. I'd rather had taller socks and use a little sunblock. That stated, back when I had had a gravel crash and skinned up my knee pretty badly, I found that I had a pair of ski (??) socks from Smartwool that I ordered that are ridiculously long. Like, they come up to almost my knees. That skinned-knee incident was just before the cool weather came in, so it hit me that perhaps I could try the tall ski socks and regular riding shorts. I found out that I preferred riding in those extremely tall, warmer socks and normal length shorts than I did with cool-weather tights over the bibs.

I know, I know - I'm a fashion trend-setter.

------

Using TrainerRoad as my cycling coach. I'm thinking of perhaps actually getting a cycling coach for a few months, but I'm not sure if just a few months' work is a job they'd even be willing to take on.

It is a branch of psychology. If only police had degrees in criminology...

You'd do better than 0.4.

Okay, no tan might not be the look for you, but long socks and cycling shorts leave tan lines that will look odd. Your face and arms probably get enough sun in daily life that you can afford to cover up completely while you ride.

It is hard though. Covering up is not encouraged in cycling. It starts at the top. Sleeves and tights (and your long socks) are prohibited in road racing. People most often wear what they see racers wear and those Castelli legs and arms are about as good as it gets - they are a result of racing rules. That makes the selection of things like summer tights poor. Of those available the pad is very poor. Best worn instead of, not over shorts. That is probably why they didn't work for you.
Our club kit is custom made. The long onsie is something else.

Sunnies = Sunglasses.

We're plus one and arrived home this evening.

:D
I would like to claim that I was thinking of our earlier discussion when posting that, but the truth is that I just found it funny.

Reactions: CTG
I got back from my motorcycle riding last Wednesday. One more week before Oggy heads back to school. Once he is back in school, I'll have long mornings for cycling.

My moo trip confirmed a few things, one is I do not like heat. Especially above 90°F and on a motorcycle. I don't like riding the interstate and I no longer ride enough to be as skilled or as confident as I once was on the moto on bad ground/roads with a full loaded travel bike. No drops, but not for lack of trying.

I think I'll lower the motorcycle from 265mm. The front needs the preload spacers pulled. I'll do that first and see if it makes me happy. A few more rides planned. But, later in the year when it will be cooler.

Almost chilly here at the beach. Feels amazing compared to what I rode through.

I did not breathe well at altitude. My resting HR was up around 25 bpm the entire time. It dropped once we got out of the heat and lower elevations. Living at 90 feet of elevation and even riding a good bit isn't enough. I'll need to train a lot harder for riding in Italy.

IMG_4126-X2.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh