What's new

Bicycle thread

Cycling highlight of the past week was a 90km 3-3.5 group ride from La Chambre to Briancon with Col du Télégraphe, Col du Galibier and Col du Lautaret. eBikes included. About 2700m of climbing and 10-15kph wind on our backs.

I'd planned a long ride today with more climbing, but an old motorcycle buddy is in town so we're meeting up with some of his sponsorship then a late lunch. Put off pedaling until tomorrow. That should give my legs some recovery. I'm now back to shopping more kit pieces, but figure I have another couple of weeks before I can manage back to back riding days. With only three sets these days it means I have to do laundry every other day to have one dry set ready to ride.
I of course figured out I need more socks, gloves and a sunscreen/helmet liner as well. It begins to look like real money real quick.

speed.jpg

So I was having a good speed ride (for me, considering that I'm out of shape and have been focusing on job searching the last few weeks) when my Wahoo speed started reading "--". This had me concerned as it had been such a good gravel ride up til then, and I was looking forward to seeing a good average speed. You all can see where it dropped the speed sensing in the middle there. Only after getting it home and looking at the Strava data did I see that the speed line that picked up (GPS) was a much smoother looking line ... which I prefer. While I've read posts about most cyclists not sensing speed changes, I find it difficult to believe that I keep doing micro-intervals like in all those higher-frequency bumps between 16.6 and 16.8 miles in.

Feel free to denigrate me :photog

Reactions: CTG
Yes, those speed fluctuations produced some wild power estimates.

I won't denigrate you for what looks like a faulty sensor.

Yesterday's insanity T and I rode the lake hammerfest on a tandem. We got a few looks, those in the know grinned. A couple of people complained and were properly ridiculed by the group. 96kg is near some of the larger riders, about 110kg with the bike, Combined FTP near 600W, 2000-ish Watts sprint power, comparable aero, maybe better than some riders in the group. A good recipe for speed! We competed for the final sprint.

Other distractions in the last week. The usual business concerns that demand attention. Canada for a day. #1 daughter and her friends finished their pilot licences. Now they build a few hours so they can move up. They start Uni next month. A class of mums are doing the same learning to fly. And we have a freshly hatched group of young glider pilots. Summer camp? They are back on weekends. I still don't know how that happened. They are not part of my daughter's circle or the lockdown group. I clearly said yes to something. If I only knew what... Frankenstang is flying again after a couple of weeks maintenance. A little time east in the S7. Woohoo! Poultry farm and greenhouses are in full production. Trout farm is growing. The village has grown to over 350 homes now. Population 1600. They have a church, clinic, post office, shops, somewhere for a meal and a drink and all the facilities expected in a small town. Everyone has worked hard to build a home. Bicycle and foot traffic rule... no cars. Another visit to Ukraine... trying to make a difference.

Last edited:
I got out for a ride today. I'd ridden Tuesday as well. Monday and Wednesday were taken up with friends, coffee and one huge hike through fancy gardens at the Huntington.
Today and Tuesday were the usual short route I've been doing. I'm back to riding past the catholic high school to get under the 5. A bit more elevation for me.

I can use the work.

I felt pretty blah today. Just no snap, but I did manage a couple of hard efforts to catch a group, then catch them again when I took the longer route to SJC.

I'm going to try for the same ride tomorrow, though if I get out a touch earlier I can ride a touch farther. #incentive

I'm trying to get this back-to-back thing going.

The weather was a bit chilly with a wind off the ocean from the south. So a bit of tailwind out and of course as luck would have it the breeze freshened on the way home to a good headwind.
Like I said earlier, I can use the work.

And I did.

IMG_4629-X2.jpg

Overcast on the way out and blue skies home.

Got out today for another round of the usual route. Sort of sluggish at times.

2:19 but I did ride up to Starbucks because I was hungry.
Overcast and spitting a mist on and off.

IMG_4635-X2.jpg

b
An interesting story:

An interesting story:

I've met lazy police. Granted, Britain's political climate most likely holds police back from acting, but most police forces don't have enough investigators/detectives. They have more of the 'see it now solve it now' beat cops.

My brother is a chief of police. He isn't lazy, but is certainly over-worked, and was over-burdened when he was a detective.

I've ridden each of the last five days. Last week was five of the seven days. I'm trying to ride each. day. Likely will ride one or two softer days between harder days. Right now, I've been waiting on IOS updates to finish, first on the phone now the watch. I try to remember to check all the devices when I first wake while the kettle gets warmed, but this morning got distracted filling the cats bowl, then laundry. Ah, well later out on t he bike today, but on the bike.

The only bicycle I've had stolen from me was when I was just out of high school a year or so and my Itoh was stolen from the side of my parents house. Behind a six foot wooden fence, inside a shed with doors. Whoever took it and my brothers knew they were there. When I moved to an apartment my bicycle was always inside the apartment if it wasn't under me. Then homes with garages and my bicycles began being hung from rafters inside locked garages. Even when I was at school my bicycle lived inside an office occupied by a few of us crazies and a couple of professors. At work my bicycle either was in my office or when I was a mechanic, in the basement.

These days are the same, hung inside a locked garage or I'm riding it or leaning on it or within arms reach. Of course now, I'm riding obsolete, totally non-hipster kit to keep me safe.

I thought it was interesting in as much as how far he went to get the bikes back.

I've had one bike stolen. That was so long ago and I had other things on my mind then it is just a faded memory.

The usual shenanigans. T and I were challenged on the western side of Ventoux. We answered with a 280W average.

Today I was called a TERF in relation to our club policies... a whole lot of toxic...

And we had a big day on the weekend with victims of the war in Ukraine who were brought to Switzerland for medical treatment.

Last edited:
Last week I managed 298km. So far this week I'm on pace to better that. Today was day seven in a row. My speed is lower, but I can ride farther.
Now, I need to figure out my feeding. Today I rode figuring a shorter route, but ended up riding to RSM and back, Rancho Santa Margarita. I'd left with a partial tube of Nuun. It turned out there were only two tablets in the tube. No other food. 3:46, but I made it work.
I'm not fast, but I am managing to hold my pace and effort level in the fat burn zone for about 80% of my riding time. Since that is what I'm aimed at, I'm happy with that. Weight is headed in the right direction. I've not gone nuts with diet, just some slight self-nudging away and toward. Sustainable is the thought.

IMG_4664-X2.jpg

I am not strong enough to stand on the long climbs. Shorter shallower climbs I can manage standing. Slow and steady is the focus.

Name of Product:
11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech II Road Cranksets
Hazard:
The recalled bonded crank parts can separate and break, posing a crash hazard to consumers.
Remedy:
Inspect
Replace
Recall Date:
September 21, 2023
Units:
About 680,000 (In addition, 80,000 were sold in Canada)

Description:
This recall involves Shimano Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000, Dura-Ace FC-R9100 and FC-R9100P 11-Speed Bonded Hollowtech Road Cranksets manufactured prior to July 2019 sold individually and on bicycles sold by other manufacturers such as Trek and Specialized. A crankset is the component of the bicycle that the chain and pedals attach to for pedaling. The recalled models have printed ‘Ultegra’ or Dura Ace’ logos on the arm. The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have the following two letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.
Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.

Thankfully, mine is far, far older than that.

Put another 4:21 on it today and got another gran fondo in for the week.

The recall is nothing I'd be concerned about. The problem affected less 1/10th of 1% of 760,000 cranks sold and although unfortunate resulted in six injuries. The risk of failure or injury is extremely low and well below any reasonable risk threshold for either.

Regarding zone 2 and fat burning. Diet is a given. I encourage intervals or strength training and cardio (I hate that word) to build strength and aerobic capacity. This moves Z2 further up the curve and makes it much easier to burn off fat. The other part of the equation is increasing metabolic rate.

And... will someone please tell that person on the other site that a HRM is not made to be worn on his taint! :baldy

Last edited:
Speaking of HRM, my Wahoo has been acting up lately. Well the last few weeks riding. I put it on and the lights are flickering, then get to the bike and the head unit fired up and the pedals calibrated only to set off and notice my HRM is not working.
I had one battery go bad quickly and since replacing that I've had to unstrap and re-snap the sensor in place to get it to pair and send signal. Once that is done it works the whole ride. Even these 5 hour things I've been doing.
I put the Polar unit on my list in case I need to go for a new one.

Then I had a thought. The other day I had to replace the battery in the AirTag for one of the cats. The notes for replacement mention that bitter tasting CR2032 batteries may not be compatible with the AirTag.

Right now, I'm at a lack of fitness level that precludes strength training. I figure riding, but working at it a bit is enough. Sort of toning but on the bike. I am getting so the bike doesn't hurt so much to sit on after three hours. I figured out how to turn off the "Climb!" thing that was popping up and changing the page to a climb at odd points.
The power analysis zones say I've always been in active recovery riding most of the time, but HR zones say burning fat mostly.

Today will be a mellow short ride because I'm feeling all that riding I've been doing and I need to pull the motorcycle out of the shed and pull parts to be ready to change fluids tomorrow.

I may do another short ride Saturday to facilitate that activity then Sunday is another group ride that for me will be around 80km or so. PB&J work for my longer rides now, so good enough and cheap enough.

Rented an AirBnB for the weekend. Found riding areas so nice that I immediately made the rides private on Strava.

NEOYnop.jpg

I wasn't supposed to be here with it being a railroad property. In fact I had looked at Gravelmaps incorrectly and thought that a gravel road would be crossing the tracks West of me, so I took them to get off of the paved road. Just after taking this picture an area of water near the wall came to life with a school of baitfish spreading out to avoid some predator. I went over to see if I could see any more action, and was rewarded with what I believe were juvenile / teenage-sized dolphins that broke the surface with their backs and dorsal fins. I would say that seeing dolphins on a gravel ride wasn't ever on my list, but I'd like to experience it again in the future.
We also see in this picture the use of concrete railroad ties along with wooden ones. I used to make sales calls to the manufacturer of these ties for equipment support. They were making a lot of them, with overtime hours for everyone, here just a few years ago - like in 2016. I don't know what became of them. I have already seen concrete ties torn up and piled to the side near my house, but I haven't taken a look to see if they went back to wood or what.
DvT8ZUx.jpg

My pup on vacation. He is hard-wired to want to chase chickens, so it took some training after he did it each time for him to stop chasing two of the three chickens on the AirBnB property that I was responsible for. While it is funny as all get out to watch, it isn't good for the chickens, and I don't know what he'd do to one if he caught it.
LSQtzrx.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of HRM, my Wahoo has been acting up lately. Well the last few weeks riding. I put it on and the lights are flickering, then get to the bike and the head unit fired up and the pedals calibrated only to set off and notice my HRM is not working.
I had one battery go bad quickly and since replacing that I've had to unstrap and re-snap the sensor in place to get it to pair and send signal. Once that is done it works the whole ride. Even these 5 hour things I've been doing.
I put the Polar unit on my list in case I need to go for a new one.

Then I had a thought. The other day I had to replace the battery in the AirTag for one of the cats. The notes for replacement mention that bitter tasting CR2032 batteries may not be compatible with the AirTag.

Right now, I'm at a lack of fitness level that precludes strength training. I figure riding, but working at it a bit is enough. Sort of toning but on the bike. I am getting so the bike doesn't hurt so much to sit on after three hours. I figured out how to turn off the "Climb!" thing that was popping up and changing the page to a climb at odd points.
The power analysis zones say I've always been in active recovery riding most of the time, but HR zones say burning fat mostly.

Today will be a mellow short ride because I'm feeling all that riding I've been doing and I need to pull the motorcycle out of the shed and pull parts to be ready to change fluids tomorrow.

I may do another short ride Saturday to facilitate that activity then Sunday is another group ride that for me will be around 80km or so. PB&J work for my longer rides now, so good enough and cheap enough.

" bitter tasting CR2032 batteries"

I'm no battery expert, but I'm at a loss for this, lol.

----------------

Have you tried maple syrup in a flask? It's also cheap (from costco), and it's doing me well as a gel substitute. Might add in a little bit of fine-grain himalayan salt, a few instant coffee grinds, into the flask for that little bit of electrolytes and caffeine when I remember to add them. PB&J, though, for sure, digests readily (probably faster than most energy bars / trail bars, though the fats from the PB can slow down absorption so I don't know that for sure).

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh