What's new

BMW R 18

Didn't get to ride the R18 this weekend. Too many bikes and not enough time. I'm planning on putting on the Wunderlich seats (his and hers) next weekend or so. I hope the wife likes it...

FqfFwBUWcAUgKMT?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Good to see I'm not the only one who rides an R18 in Houston. I'm thinking about taking a couple of days off this week and go ride but the weather might be tricky.

FrCc0cWWwAEsvfI?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I didn't have time to ride today but I made time to put on the Wunderlich passenger seat and Wunderlich sissy bar. I took off the saddle bags - they look good but they're too small. I am storing the bags inside away from the elements so that the leather stays in tip top shape. It will be a plus when it's time to sell. I also took off the windshield at the last minute. I can't seem to be happy with the windshield (tall or OEM) so I'm trying no windshield at all.

The passenger seat looks a bit odd from some angles because I'm keeping the solo seat. Yes I have the Wunderlich rider seat but as good as it is, I like the height of the solo seat.

FrD3PZuXoAAyevD?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FrD3PZsWYAA9PJF?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FrD3RVPX0AAU2fg?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Whats it feel like to ride, is its weight kind of low down and goes sort of unnoticed as such?
or is it kind or there from the get go.

Whats it feel like to ride, is its weight kind of low down and goes sort of unnoticed as such?
or is it kind or there from the get go.
The bike is definitely heavy. On the go, because the CG is very low, it handles really well. It's no sport bike though and does not claim to be one. It's a fun bike to ride. I've always wanted a large cruiser but I'm not much of a Harley fan. I owned an R1200C back in the late 90s. It was my first BMW. I was too much of a sport bike guy at the time to really appreciate it though. The R18 feels right. It looks great and it's rewarding to ride. The solo seat I have on is about 3 inches (may be 4?) taller than stock and makes a big difference.

The bike is definitely heavy. On the go, because the CG is very low, it handles really well. It's no sport bike though and does not claim to be one. It's a fun bike to ride. I've always wanted a large cruiser but I'm not much of a Harley fan. I owned an R1200C back in the late 90s. It was my first BMW. I was too much of a sport bike guy at the time to really appreciate it though. The R18 feels right. It looks great and it's rewarding to ride. The solo seat I have on is about 3 inches (may be 4?) taller than stock and makes a big difference.
Sounds good i figured it might be weight low down, and they do look good i like it and i have only ever seen one other BMW i like and that is the 1939 R51 500cc. i think BMW must have been eating a big plate of pretty when they made that, its much nicer than the ugly they generally eat.

Last edited:
How many other model styles is this motor planned for? Obviously not in GS kit, but why not an RT or simple R?

And cabanza good on ya for trying it out and sharing the experience. :thumb

I am looking for a narrow handlebar. Someone on the R18 forum helped locate this little gem:

image.jpg

It's only 800 mm wide which is great. I might have to add bar risers to it though. I'm not sure. I've just started looking into it. It's 400 euros so it's not cheap. Nothing BMW is ever cheap though.

I took the wife on her first ride on the R18. We went to grab a bite at a place on the lake. Yes Houston has lakes. We went to Lake Houston. Ha. It was about an hour away from home. We rode a mix of highways and back roads. Let me just say that my wife isn't a fan of the big bike. She thought the seat was hard (I bought the Wunderlich passenger seat and sissy bar just for her!) and she said the suspension was harsh. Well, whaddya know, it's a cruiser. This was her first time on a cruiser too. It ain't her thing. Oh well.

We stopped at Sharky's. It's a nice little place on the lake. I was not only able to park in front of the restaurant but they actually had designated motorcycle parking! I almost choked. Motorcycle parking! Oh my. Wow. Food was good, view was good, company was great. We had a good time.

Truth is we could have done the same trip on the PCX at about 10 mph slower but twice the gas mileage and more comfort. Kinda makes you think.

Fsq3ZbrX0AARoev?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Fsq3ZbqWYAIt2I8?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Fsq3ZbtXgAEeDJh?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Fsq3ZbqXwAAcnXo?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Nice! Was wondering how the 2 up ride was?
The bike is very heavy so my 100 pound wife didn't make much of a difference. The bike handled just as well. I took off the windshield and that made a huge difference. Because I sit really straight with wide open arms, It's hard to ride faster than 65 mph. The lack of fairing helped a lot with buffeting. I can't seem to figure out a good size for a windshield. No windshield, no problem.

I've stripped the bike off. No bags, no windshield, no passenger seat. I think it looks great like this. The bike does really well in and out the city. Amazing weather in Houston today. I'm glad I had a chance to get out there.

Ft2oXeuXoAcUdZQ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Early Sunday morning rides are the best!

French toast bagel: it will change your life

FxN0qwWWAAIlLsK?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FxN1WjjX0AIQiSg?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

It is getting hot down here in Texas. It was already 90 degrees at 12 pm. I am switching to morning rides at this point. Sunday mornings are great anyway. I ended at one of my favorite spots for lunch. It's a Salvadoran restaurant. I get the Yuca con Chicharron. It's fried cassava with Fried chunks of porks. Simply amazing.

FyW7LqyWcAEmZy5?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FyW9LdOWcAMhHrE?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh