What's new

Bourbon & Whiskey

Currently working through Highland Whisky...and dipping into surrounding regions...

I’m a cheapskate and my go to burbon is four roses small batch. A good three fingers and a cube of ice makes a good drink.

My Go-to.

ec-small-batch-detail.png

Old No. 7 is my go-to for a mixer, but this is a fine value:

ew-bottleinbond.png

Couple of ice cubes, and relax.
Just opened one of these.

Also enjoying ER, Dickel 8, Old Tub, Woodford Reserve, Russell 10yr, Larceny, Elijah Craig, some Blanton’s, and may have to crack one of my McKenna 10yr soon. Also just picked up a Knob Creek 9 but will hold off on that.

Love how the most popular thread in the camping section is really about whiskey. Guess I'm in good company.

If you must know, whiskey is 'murican and whisky is Scottish..... :D
I prefer single malts from Islay but some may be too peaty for most people... :deal
Laphroaig 10 used to be my go-to because there was one place that sold it at $36 a bottle, but between covid and the added EU taxes on whiskey, that deal finally went away after years.

Kilchoman makes some phenomenal sherry cask-aged stuff. They're pricey - $120ish a bottle, but hands down the best Islay scotch I've had.

But since I'm in Mexico for a while, I'm moving on to Mezcal...

Love how the most popular thread in the camping section is really about whiskey. Guess I'm in good company.

Laphroaig 10 used to be my go-to because there was one place that sold it at $36 a bottle, but between covid and the added EU taxes on whiskey, that deal finally went away after years.

Kilchoman makes some phenomenal sherry cask-aged stuff. They're pricey - $120ish a bottle, but hands down the best Islay scotch I've had.

But since I'm in Mexico for a while, I'm moving on to Mezcal...
Laphroig 10 was my goto for years and then out of nowhere it's up to $56 a bottle if you can find it for that. Fuckers.

Laphroig did get pricey…. :bluduh I am however splitting a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 with my brother and boy is that some good stuff.. :1drink specially paired with an Oliva cigar..

Last edited:
Reactions: MVI
Great thread, now I want to go buy a good bottle from all that have been posted.

My go to is Buffalo Trace.

1645578162088.png

Once in a blue moon I'll get Barrell, I know, a blend, plasphemy...
1645578337827.png

My standards are plain ol’ Makers’ and Bulleit bourbon. Slightly fancier are Col EH Taylor and Basil Hayden. I don’t care for Woodford, but know a bunch of people that swear by it.
I really like Maker's Mark, and it's easy to find. I've tried some of their special editions, but the regular Makers is their best product, in my opinion.

There are other bourbons I like too. Larceny, Rowan's Creek, Buffalo Trace to name a few. A couple of years ago, my wife and I flew into northern Kentucky and spent 3 weeks driving around the south listening to bluegrass on our rental car's XM Radio. We took turns each day being designated driver through the Bourbon Trail. It was pretty awesome. We also ate a lot of BBQ and Cajun seafood. We made a big loop to Barber Motorsports, down to Charleston, up to the Outer Banks, and back to Kentucky for more bourbon before flying home.

taking this to Big Bend, it was SPECS pick, should be good

Bottled in Bond

1645924139626.png

Talisker is my go-to as I'm pretty much a Scotch guy (and I'm biased because we have a place on Skye) but I'm finding some really interesting new California distilleries, these guys are making an excellent whiskey;

RWE_Bottles.png

All this talk about booze and no mention of how to properly enjoy it.

1. Bottle in freezer, because if it freezes it’s garbage.

2. Glass in freezer, or preferably a gel shot glass.

3. Pour, do not add ice like a sub human :)

7E0820C5-E7EF-4ED7-912E-0FCDC710B77E.jpeg

Last November I rode to Heaven Hill for a rally, and had to buy something from the gift shop. I arrived right at opening time, and there was already a huge line in the gift shop, so I asked, "Are all these people here for a tour or something?" I didn't want to be standing in line all morning, I had riding to do.
One of the employees said "No, they're in line for (some special black label or something), but don't worry, in a few minutes they will announce it's all sold out and most of them will leave"
Sure enough, the announcement came and they all left.
I guess if you want the good stuff, you gotta get there early.

PXL_20211113_152019985-X2.jpg

Reactions: MVI
Trying to decide which bottled in bond bottle goes with me to the AROUND The BEND rally in BBNP this weekend

Early times BIB
Jack BIB
Broken Saddle BIB
Evan Williams BIB

hmmmmm

How many of you lot have dug deeper to see who is actually distilling your brews? From a few things I've read a bunch of the ones already mentioned are basically contract brewed the same way some beers are. They might not be as small batch and special as you think they are.

How many of you lot have dug deeper to see who is actually distilling your brews? From a few things I've read a bunch of the ones already mentioned are basically contract brewed the same way some beers are. They might not be as small batch and special as you think they are.
You mean Diageo own them all now? :(

Top Bottom Back Refresh