What's new

- Week DJ_MI's Nightly Rides. I'm going to Detroit; wish me luck!

DJ_MI

Class Clown
Member Number
It's about 42 miles each way. I should be back in two hours. 🤞

If I get lost and lose comms I'll fire twice in the air so if anyone hears reports of gunfire in Detroit it could me signaling for help. :thumbup

kentucky-fried-movie-take-him-to-detroit.gif

When I lived in that area around 30 years ago there were some riders who would go riding around the area highways at triple digit speeds in the middle of the night.

When I lived in that area around 30 years ago there were some riders who would go riding around the area highways at triple digit speeds in the middle of the night.
You don’t say. :lol2

I’d heard reports of the same thing from around that same time. :hide

Only way I’m hitting triple digits tonight is if I change the units to kph.

I kinda miss night riding in Akron. There was a few sketchy times. Usually deer were the biggest issue.

I kinda miss night riding in Akron. There was a few sketchy times. Usually deer were the biggest issue.
I’m not familiar with Akron. Is it a urban inner city kinda place?

I’m not familiar with Akron. Is it a urban inner city kinda place?
Yup but extends to various townships with backroads and some farm land close by. Riding through the city at night was kinda cool. And at sunset the wife and would ride around the lakes. I I timed the route and direction we could see 7 different sunsets. Kinda had to haul it but 3 or 4 was easy.

Here's a few more pictures from last night.

This is the "Spirit Of Detroit". It's commonly seen in stock footage for news stories about Detroit.
2023-10-03 00.07.18.jpg
2023-10-03 00.07.26.jpg

This is the Detroit River and Windsor Ontario Canada on the other side. The interesting thing about this picture is that is taken pointing close to due south. Also, the Detroit/Windsor tunnel is almost directly beneath me. The tunnel opened in 1930.
2023-10-03 00.10.44.jpg

This is the Detroit River and Windsor Ontario Canada on the other side. The interesting thing about this picture is that is taken pointing close to due south. Also, the Detroit/Windsor tunnel is almost directly beneath me. The tunnel opened in 1930.
Ah yes, the infamous "South Detroit" of "Don't Stop Believin" fame!

aka "Canada"

Ah yes, the infamous "South Detroit" of "Don't Stop Believin" fame!

aka "Canada"
That’s hilarious! It never occurred to me. :lol2

I ran the phonetics of east, west, and north, but nothing sounded as good or emotionally true to me as South Detroit. I fell in love with the line. It’s only been in the last few years that I’ve learned that there is no South Detroit. But it doesn’t matter.”

Steve Perry, 2012

We were riding the wife's sporty through the city of Akron to get to my grammas place in the valley. We were just past Tangerines where debo and the rubber city music under ground thrived long ago. I looked over at speedway and seen a man down in a pool of... we missed the confrontation by minutes. Florida and Akron can numb one's senses. I never looked back and live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. Do I miss it? Yes the lights , the buildings was nice at night. Just like a perfect 2am snow where quarter size snowflakes instantly melt on a warm spring ground. Like being in a snowglobe of wind tunnel testing on your ride. Ultimate beauty..but a little crazy

First stop, Starbucks to scavenge some gas money. A penny isn’t going to get me far.

IMG_1454.jpeg

My daughter and I do this sometimes. We call it “treasure hunting”. Then Starbucks folks are rich, I swear some must intentionally throw their change on the ground. We found a $5 gift card at this one once!

I dig it. One of the most epic Akron rides...we were up in the falls....with nonstop road work. I saw the ultimate hit ...6in of raised manhold.. I launched my pirahna ct70 clone 2ft in the air as I passed my buddy on his 20yr no start cb750. Totally epic. I had 40hrs n that dam cb750..most in the carbs. An Ohio vintage shop eventully convinced for the wrong tune! Heck man, I knew the canton.owner . But I passed my bud 2ft off the ground with my left shoulder being lit by a full moon. Oh man this had bmx and ET at a standstill. Both my neighbors hated the skyteam mod..Matty. this a skyteam worked over...and yes I had 3rd gear shift cam issues .but I knew Jack from wholesalecycles..about a mile away.

Top Bottom Back Refresh