What's new

Do You Have “Riding Rules”?

Run Slab from DC to Boston via NYC...Afterward, You will want to sell your bike and Uber home. LOL
Speaking of NYC......riding there is on my bucket list. I've trucked to and through there many times. Driving an 18 wheeler on the streets is something else. I'd like to snap some pics in the vicinity of where the WTC used to be.

I made a few more rules for myself.

If it’s wet make sure to dry out my helmet the best I can before I need it again so it fogs less. My helmet got damp yesterday on the way to work and I had all day to dry it out but I didn’t. On the ride home I had some serious fogging issues.

If it’s wet make sure to bring a cloth to clean the visor. I try to keep one in my left jacket pocket so I can get to it easily. I needed one last night and didn’t have it.

What's a newspaper......

:hide
It's called a fish wrapper or birdcage liner in some areas. If you want to order, here's a good source.

A friend of mine has thrown papers for 40 years; this is his last week. There's not enough weight in the local paper to even throw it, so they're going to mail delivery for the few remaining customers.

It's called a fish wrapper or birdcage liner in some areas. If you want to order, here's a good source.

A friend of mine has thrown papers for 40 years; this is his last week. There's not enough weight in the local paper to even throw it, so they're going to mail delivery for the few remaining customers.
Yall had me thinking charcoal or dry cedar for sum reason. A mesh bag full of dry cedar chips? Don't know. I like a good wipe with ammonia for my helmet. Windshield cleaner has ammonia and methanol. Which should kill bacteria and speed drying time.

Yall had me thinking charcoal or dry cedar for sum reason. A mesh bag full of dry cedar chips? Don't know. I like a good wipe with ammonia for my helmet. Windshield cleaner has ammonia and methanol. Which should kill bacteria and speed drying time.
That's a good suggestion on the charcoal.
"For instance, activated charcoal doesn’t just serve as a desiccant but can also eliminates odors."

I can't find any info about cedar.

For my purpose the other day I should have at least not left my helmet sitting on a table at work all day with the visor closed. Even just leaving the visor open or setting it upside down would have helped.

Newspaper is also good for cleaning the inside of windshields. The film sticks to the newsprint instead of just smearing around with paper towel.

Sit back and pin it to win it..worked today

Other one is...use a gear higher when you can. I got schooled once again today on a small log bump to my front tire 4ft off the ground. And one off a stump bump to 180° wheely out. Ended with airborne 180 and a foot plant. I know this! I always ride a gear higher on the face of a jump.

Newspaper ink smears on glass. I am NOT a believer in using newspaper for wiping glass clean. I use a blue sponge and squeegee to clean windows.
I've used it successfully with old newspaper and a vinegar/water solution. Fresh newsprint or newer, soy based ink may not work so well.

My preference today is a good microfiber cloth and some fancy automotive cleaner. I haven't found anything better at cutting through crud and not leaving streaks.

Last edited:
A few more that I thought of.

- Take more water than I think I’ll need including in multiple containers.
I rode the Sandtown trail in the UP in 2021. Just under 33 miles and it took me about 5 hours (yeah, I'm slow). I only took 1 bottle of water and at my first stop I realized the bottle was gone. I've had water bottles get puntured before and leak out. I've set my hydration pack down before and lost water through the straw. I had a water pump hose pop off in the middle of nowhere and had to use my hydration pack water to refill the system to keep going.

- Take more bungees and tie downs than I think I'll need.
I snagged the kickstand spring on some wire fence out on a trail and my kickstand was flopping. I found the spring but no way to get it back on. I used the extra bungees I keep on the tail to hold it up and limp back to the truck. Worst case I could have cut a strip of cloth from my shirt but it's always nice to have extra tie downs. I used "endless" cam buckle straps to secure my luggage rolls on a trip and soon realized that at least one or two more would have been nice. By the end of the week I shed my jacket and hydration pack and had to get creative to fasten then on the tail with the rest of the load.

I rode the Sandtown trail in the UP in 2021. Just under 33 miles and it took me about 5 hours (yeah, I'm slow). I only took 1 bottle of water and at my first stop I realized the bottle was gone. I've had water bottles get puntured before and leak out. I've set my hydration pack down before and lost water through the straw. I had a water pump hose pop off in the middle of nowhere and had to use my hydration pack water to refill the system to keep going.

I snagged the kickstand spring on some wire fence out on a trail and my kickstand was flopping. I found the spring but no way to get it back on. I used the extra bungees I keep on the tail to hold it up and limp back to the truck. Worst case I could have cut a strip of cloth from my shirt but it's always nice to have extra tie downs. I used "endless" cam buckle straps to secure my luggage rolls on a trip and soon realized that at least one or two more would have been nice. By the end of the week I shed my jacket and hydration pack and had to get creative to fasten then on the tail with the rest of the load.
Ya I had some paranoid ...spellcheck but kinda funny...paracord in my pocket today from last night's adventure. Never use pliers or vise grips on kickstand springs. Better to use a piece of wire to pull the spring. I wrap the other end around something like a hammer handle and lever off something. Then slip the wire out of the spring. Spring tools work great too. I kept telling my coworker not use vise grip on any springs. One day the visegrips slipped and he almost knocked his false teeth out.

Don't use "bungees"....get Rok Straps.

Hold way better than anything else and I've never had one fail.

Top Bottom Back Refresh