What's new

Do You Have “Riding Rules”?

For years I have used those straps BMW's come strapped in with from the factory. I get them from the dealer all the time. If they can hold a 500# bike they certainly can hold a dry bag. Never a failure. YMMV

Maybe the pick-up driver was wanting to go behind the rider and clear up the right lane that way. Saw the rider wasn't moving and thought otherwise.

Maybe the pick-up driver was wanting to go behind the rider and clear up the right lane that way. Saw the rider wasn't moving and thought otherwise.
That’s my video. It doesn’t really show how startling it was because the GoPro is on “Super View” so it’s very wide angle and shows a lot more than I can actually see. The pickup driver was signaling and starting to turn into the lot that I was pulling out of. I looked back to the right and it was clear and when I looked back to the left I was surprised to see that the driver had changed his mind and wanted to go straight. I think he changed his mind at the last second and wanted to park in up front.

If you watch it in 3/4 speed it gives a little better perspective and you can hear that I started giving it some revs preparing to go.

Maybe I just misinterpreted his intention but I felt fortunate that I didn’t trust his blinker and cues that he was actually going to turn. Never trust them.

Don't use "bungees"....get Rok Straps.

Hold way better than anything else and I've never had one fail.
I'll vouch for Rok Straps,too. I think I ordered my first set on a whim trying to hit free shipping on an order and was super impressed. Starting giving them to riding buddies for Christmas presents and they all love em, too.

In a world of eBay junk, it's a joy when you find a quality product.

Last edited:
I am anti bungee. A quick Google search on bungee eye injuries is nuts. I like quality rope and good knots.
Yep. I hate those things. Rok Straps are different though. The bungee section is short. Just enough to maintain pressure on the load.

Since I'm evangelizing for Rok Straps, pm me your address and I'll send you a pair to put your eye out with 😁

I like bungees because they keep me on my toes and let me know I’m still alive.

200.gif

:imaposer :imaposer
What, did you cut that off with a rope tied to a broom? :D
Any way you can..I started this week as two clones and ended as two. Plus I somehow was in smokehouse city on Wednesday. That freaking snag of a design...I would have turned every board room on its azz today in the moto industry. Luckily..a $600 bike from a shedding light company got my wrath.

But what to ride....up a wall! Or tree

I installed a "few springs" I had a tool for trailer brakes...never use vise grips...when it slips it will bust your teeth out. The spring gave me crap and ..well I need no 15mph snags at my age. I busted a knee cap last time 2 yrs ago.

This is the most underated discussion of any bike. An ideal bike should be able to rail grind 50/50 and not snag or break expensive parts. It will happen...electric or gas...Hopefully air cooled bliss 2 valve screw adjusters.

Seriously...a klr needs the low profile button screw not to destroy the cases.. that is weak!. Riding 101 is bunk by default of crazy cagers mixed with what 1% of moto riders that cannot agree on 10% of the moto future.

I got to sit on a KLR today and dream where it could take me.
I bought a new 2005 KLR and kept it for 14 years. It was a good bike but the KLX250 was a huge improvement in most ways. I did a demo ride of the latest Gen KLR and was not the least bit impressed. I guess the new KLR would take you to most places you might want to go but it just seemed boring and a step backwards to me.

Madmx loves his KLR.

I thought it was nice. For what I want from a midsize bike it'd be a good option. The only bike above on my list in that price range is the CB500X.

I want an economical bike that I can ride a few states over to visit friends or ride the perimeter of Michigan on. I've never had those kind of adventures. Though the CBx edges out the KLR on my list, I was definitely envisioning the dream when I was sitting on the KLR earlier and imagining the places we could go.

I also sat on a Tenere 700 today. It's the first one I've seen up close. It is a lot bigger and heavier than I was imagining. I'll admit that the thought of doing any kind of off-roading with it is pretty intimidating to think about; more than I thought. There's a guy from the other forum who rode his T7 around Bass Lake MC Trail in the UP. I rode Bass Lake on the KLX a few years ago and it's a tough loop for sure. After sitting on the T7 today any notion that I could ride it around that loop went right out the window. That guy's f'n crazy. It also reaffirms to me that I'm on the right track with a less off road capable midsize bike.

I'll vouch for Rok Straps,too. I think I ordered my first set on a whim trying to hit free shipping on an order and was super impressed. Starting giving them to riding buddies for Christmas presents and they all love em, too.

In a world of eBay junk, it's a joy when you find a quality product.
Yup I ruled out bungees years ago. Tried H2W D ring straps. Ended up burning a hole thru a water proof duffle on my Ducati. Lucky I didn’t crash. Now it’s Rok straps or nothing.

Top Bottom Back Refresh