What's new

Dogs, dogs and.......more dogs.

I, too, was going to start a dog thread on our new website. Glad to see there is already one going strong!

I hope some of you remember my dog Max who was having serious health issues starting a few years back.

FullSizeRender.JPG Max's first birthday

He started having issues with his digestive system at about 2 years old and it gradually got worse. At about 4 years old he wasn't eating much and was losing a lot of weight. The vet diagnosed him with infected anal glands and after 2 extensive rounds of antibiotics he ended up in surgery to have the glands removed. It took weeks for him to recover from that and he seemed to be getting better.

IMG_3622.JPG 3 weeks after his surgery

He was doing well for awhile and was even able to go to the hardware store with me from time to time.

IMG_2367.JPG So many people to watch! He always attracted a crowd.

Then he started declining again. First it was the vomiting, then the diarrhea and finally going off his feed. We tried several drug therapies over several months to no avail. Then, when it seemed he was almost at the end, we decided to take him to another vet for a second opinion. This vet was awesome! He just looked at Max sitting there and listened as I explained what he has been through and diagnosed the root cause of his problems without having to lay a finger on him. Turns out he had a genetic autoimmune disease that caused his immune system to attack the lining of his intestines. It is commonly known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease. There is no cure for it, but at least we now knew what to give him to ease his suffering. After starting him on a hefty dose of steroids to suppress his immune system he began to look and act more like he felt good. He even gained back most of the weight he had lost. All was good for 6 or 8 months before we noticed he was starting to slip again.

62222968550__AD12A1EE-DE5A-4E46-B789-B58F4DF089D9.JPG Max at his best after being properly diagnosed

62709138392__965B0DA0-D094-4555-91C5-71E1A637C984.JPG I knew he was getting worse when he blew his undercoat in November, this shouldn't happen until April

IMG_3052.JPG He loved going down to the basement with me to work in my shop, but he became too weak to manage the stairs so he would lay at the top and wait for me to come back up

64262893408__6ABB1611-3AEF-47F1-8262-531009138321.JPG This is the last picture I have of him. He looks so old and tired and there is hardly any muscle left. Even like this he was always ready to go with me to see what the world had to offer.

As he began his final descent we knew it was the last time, there were no more treatments to try. We pampered him and as his willingness to eat waned we ended up feeding him raw beef just to get him to eat anything. He still wanted desperately to go places with me but just didn't have the stamina to handle being out long. Toward the end I would take him for rides in the truck through the countryside with the windows down until he couldn't stand up in the seat and when he would lay down we would head home. Then came the point when I realized it was time to let go. I made the call to the vet and scheduled the last visit. The remaining 3 days were really strange knowing his end date and time. He was cuddled and pampered to no end those last days. I held him in my arms as he drew his last breath on May 19th, 2021. He was only 6 years 8 months old.

IMG_9491.JPEG I took time off work to spend his last day with him and then give him a proper burial

It has been a long hard mourning period, but I am finally getting to the point I can start thinking about getting another dog, probably this spring. Although we have 2 other dogs they aren't "My dog" like Max was.

IMG_3048.JPG Max with Widget and Dingo.

Last edited:
I, too, was going to start a dog thread on our new website. Glad to see there is already one going strong!

I hope some of you remember my dog Max who what having serious health issues starting a few years back.

FullSizeRender.JPG Max's first birthday

He started having issues with his digestive system at about 2 years old and it gradually got worse. At about 4 years old he wasn't eating much and was losing a lot of weight. The vet diagnosed him with infected anal glands and after 2 extensive rounds of antibiotics he ended up in surgery to have the glands removed. It took weeks for him to recover from that and he seemed to be getting better.

IMG_3622.JPG 3 weeks after his surgery

He was doing well for awhile and was even able to go to the hardware store with me from time to time.

IMG_2367.JPG So many people to watch! He always attracted a crowd.

Then he started declining again. First it was the vomiting, then the diarrhea and finally going off his feed. We tried several drug therapies over several months to no avail. Then, when it seemed he was almost at the end, we decided to take him to another vet for a second opinion. This vet was awesome! He just looked at Max sitting there and listened as I explained what he has been through and diagnosed the root cause of his problems without having to lay a finger on him. Turns out he had a genetic autoimmune disease that caused his immune system to attack the lining of his intestines. It is commonly known as Inflammatory Bowel Disease. There is no cure for it, but at least we now knew what to give him to ease his suffering. After starting him on a hefty dose of steroids to suppress his immune system he began to look and act more like he felt good. He even gained back most of the weight he had lost. All was good for 6 or 8 months before we noticed he was starting to slip again.

62222968550__AD12A1EE-DE5A-4E46-B789-B58F4DF089D9.JPG Max at his best after being properly diagnosed

62709138392__965B0DA0-D094-4555-91C5-71E1A637C984.JPG I knew he was getting worse when he blew his undercoat in November, this shouldn't happen until April

IMG_3052.JPG He loved going down to the basement with me to work in my shop, but he became too weak to manage the stairs so he would lay at the top and wait for me to come back up

64262893408__6ABB1611-3AEF-47F1-8262-531009138321.JPG This is the last picture I have of him. He looks so old and tired and there is hardly any muscle left. Even like this he was always ready to go with me to see what the world had to offer.

As he began his final descent we knew it was the last time, there were no more treatments to try. We pampered him and as his willingness to eat waned we ended up feeding him raw beef just to get him to eat anything. He still wanted desperately to go places with me but just didn't have the stamina to handle being out long. Toward the end I would take him for rides in the truck through the countryside with the windows down until he couldn't stand up in the seat and when he would lay down we would head home. Then came the point when I realized it was time to let go. I made the call to the vet and scheduled the last visit. The remaining 3 days were really strange knowing his end date and time. He was cuddled and pampered to no end those last days. I held him in my arms as he drew his last breath on May 19th, 2021. He was only 6 years 8 months old.

View attachment 1830 I took time off work to spend his last day with him and then give him a proper burial

It has been a long hard mourning period, but I am finally getting to the point I can start thinking about getting another dog, probably this spring. Although we have 2 other dogs they aren't "My dog" like Max was.

IMG_3048.JPG Max with Widget and Dingo.
Reading this brought tears to my eyes. You have a lot to give, so don't let this stop you from getting another.

I guess, now that I was finally able to write out Max's story without completely breaking down emotionally, I was able to move on. I know someone who breeds Border Collies and I had asked for a puppy from their next litter this spring. Last night after I posted the story of Max I had a dream where I was present for the birth of the Border Collie puppies. Seems fate deems me to have a Border Collie for my next companion.

IMG_2313.JPG Last year's litter from the parents I will get my next puppy from.

I have never cried so hard as when my little Ollie died. I cried harder than when I lost my Mom to cancer a few years before that. It has been 4 years now and someone is cutting onions nearby.
IMG_2005.jpg

I swore I would never get another dog so as to spare myself the heartbreak again.

Well my daughter decided she wanted a dog, and since she is living at home post-college well I've become quite attached. This is Monty, she's a full-bred Portuguese Water Dog which means she is smart as hell, hard working and what they call a velcro-dog, she is always hanging around people and so affectionate. I don't think I can handle it if something happens to her, though we'll be lucky to have her in our lives for 12 - 15 years.
IMG_4623.jpg

DAA1D87E-574C-4739-8057-BFFA20EF59F0.jpeg

Molly, 10yo lab/boxer mix, born in the shelter, adopted her at 10 months old. Rusty 6 or 7 YO red nose who was living in the desert for several months before my gf was able to wrangle him home.
Rusty looks just like my friend Kerri's dog Taco. Taco and Isabel were great friends, used to chase each other around the yard and race for the tossed ball. Don't see him as much now, they moved across the river and we moved south of town.

Sadie hasn't had any dog interactions since our other dog died a year ago. I'd like her to get some socialization but not in an unstructured, dangerous situation like a dog park so yesterday she had an "interview" at a local doggy daycare. She passed so I'll drop her off one day a week. After the interview we went for a short walk where she saw a ground squirrel run into a hole.

Top Bottom Back Refresh