What's new

Ford Transit Moto Camper Van Build

Got a little time yesterday and today to work on the van cabinets.

This is a base cabinet that should be able to hold all of our pots/pans and other supplies. I am getting a little better at planning this stuff out. It needs a lot of forethought, I had to take it partially apart a few times to get pieces in.

72543300-1464-4424-a53b-3c1ccc062213-jpeg.jpg

e23629fd-f2ba-413a-bb8a-4d397f593b6f-jpeg.jpg

A friend hooked me up with some Promaster wall panels. They are heavy duty coroplast and a perfect fit for the slots.

680e6534-fe69-4f27-9783-14f8a6a9b0df-jpeg.jpg

I wanted to see if it would work as a shelf bottom. I would call this successful. 70 pounds deflected it about 1/2”. Probably 4 times as much weight as we will have in that cabinet. I am hoping to use some aluminum clad coroplast for the more visible parts of the cabinets.

467e1630-2ceb-4106-952a-031efb1df15a-jpeg.jpg

I finally got the material in that I wanted to make the doors and visible panels out of. It is 2 sheets of aluminum with a PVC core.

I put some led lights inside the cabinet and I will hook up a couple automatic switches on the doors. That will be in warmer weather, when I can wire it all into the van electric.

All ready to put it in the van tomorrow, so I can start on the upper cabinet.

4093cfde-03cf-4d40-8395-c8787fbe07b7-jpeg.jpg

Feb 6 2022

Here is the web site for the panels. I got 6mm, as it drops right in the slots.

https://www.laminatorsinc.com/sign-panels/products/omega-bond

I bent this scrap piece, it is pretty wild how it just held the shape. It bent real nice. I might have to play with some scraps and see what can be done with it.

ab81ceb8-eb0b-4bfc-93c6-aa7ba72619fe-jpeg.jpg

I got the upper cabinet mostly done this afternoon. These boxy vans have a lot of curves. I have some complicated filler panels to cut but after that, I should be able to move along to the bed area.

f12d7beb-bf42-454a-9882-9e03398fb46a-jpeg.jpg

Ok, we are now in current time here. I got a good bit done today on the pantry cabinet.

57B252DD-5F50-4B9A-BCD9-B8A1FF917669.jpeg

Bottom cabinet is 24” deep and 18“ wide. Top cabinet is 12” deep and 18” wide. The microwave fits perfectly.

I installed micro switches on the cabinet doors, so that a led light turns on when the doors are opened.

The micro switches are epoxied to a metal bracket and attached to the 80/20.

536ABCB4-1AB2-438C-9FD3-7B656C9816CF.jpeg

List of things you did that I could do:

Buy the van.

OK, it's a short list...

I think people overthink build outs. Throw a cot in the back and go camping. Bring a note pad. Lots of ideas come sitting at the campfire. All builds go thru generations. 80/20 is too expensive to use as a first gen build out.

I think people overthink build outs. Throw a cot in the back and go camping. Bring a note pad. Lots of ideas come sitting at the campfire. All builds go thru generations. 80/20 is too expensive to use as a first gen build out.

One benefit to the 80/20 is that it is bolted together, so I could reconfigure if needed.

Working on the van today is pretty rough. High 20’s. In and out of it a good bit, not worth having the heat on.

Reactions: N8
One benefit to the 80/20 is that it is bolted together, so I could reconfigure if needed.

Working on the van today is pretty rough. High 20’s. In and out of it a good bit, not worth having the heat on.

Thats the next addition, chinading diesel heater. I hear the countries best kept vulture dealer has experience with them.

Thats the next addition, chinading diesel heater. I hear the countries best kept vulture dealer has experience with them.

I just tested out the one I installed in my cargo trailer Saturday night. It was just enough to not freeze to death in the uninsulated trailer with an outside temp of 22 degrees. I bet with insulation it would run us out.

I just tested out the one I installed in my cargo trailer Saturday night. It was just enough to not freeze to death in the uninsulated trailer with an outside temp of 22 degrees. I bet with insulation it would run us out.
How big is the heater and how big is your trailer? Folks on the internet say a 2kw heater will keep you toasty in a long, insulated sprinter.

Our transit keeps a bit of warmth, just from body heat. It does not stay warm but it might stay 10 above ambient outside. The insulation does a good job. I want remote start, so I can start the van from bed, on those chilly, below freezing mornings.

Last edited:
I got a
How big is the heater and how big is your trailer? Folks on the internet say a 2kw heater will keep you toasty in a long, insulated sprinter.

I got a 5kw heater. The trailer is 7' wide by 16' long I think and the ceiling is 7.5' ish. What do you think would help more insulating the floor, the walls, or the ceiling?

If I had to choose just one I would insulate the ceiling. Most heat escapes through the ceiling (and the windows in the van). Insulating the ceiling also stops possible condensation problems and cools down the van in the summer.

But you will also lose a lot of heat through the walls and the floor. Big bonus is that insulating the floor adds a lot of comfort in the winter.

We have some excellent weather today. Going to try and make some progress. In cold weather, progress is slowed by having to open and close many doors to preserve heat.

I got this put together last night. I mentioned before, the amount of forethought that 80/20 requires. There are 26 separate fasteners, that are pre loaded on this piece, for use at a later date. The other forethought that caught me off guard is I need some small parts from 80/20 directly. They take a long time to get things in the mail. So I had to steal some parts from the other cabinet because they are easily replaced on that cabinet and will be buried on this piece.

FCD817A3-562F-450B-AE0F-C67E8D18A91A.jpeg

Ugh, I was trying to get to a good stopping point to take lunch and made a math error. The panels need to be 1/2” larger than the measurements, so they drop 1/4“ in each slot, on each side. Well, i just cut the panel to the measurement. It is a small panel, that I was stoked to pull out of the off cut pile and make use of.

I stopped for lunch and recharge. Now back to it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh