What's new

Just wanna ride...

The 5 1/2 edited video of the ride down Main Street in Sturgis on Sunday...

New tires for the Blonde's Xmax this morning, then out for a ride: and a picnic lunch in Custer State Park...

2Bikes.jpg

Today's video is a bit longer than that last 5 1/2 minute one. The ride to Sturgis, down Main Street, a walk-about, and on the way back, a trip around the Harley dealer in Rapid City...

Looks like you are having fun….hell on earth for me.
It's easy for me to enjoy the limited time I mix it up during the Rally. We are in a nice RV resort south of Rapid City (about 35 miles from Sturgis). An occasional day trip through Sturgis is enough for me. In my younger years, I enjoyed nights there, concerts, etc... these days, I'm fine with a couple hours in Sturgis, then back out riding. We're here for a couple months, so the Rally is more of a diverson... the riding on the great roads around the Black Hills is better when it isn't so crowded.

We are in the middle of our move to the Phoenix area (from an island boy to a desert dweller). It has been a lot of work to this point - we get the keys to the new house tomorrow. With a "day off" today, the Blonde said, "Go enjoy some 'me time' time on your bike"... pretty sure she was looking forward to her "me time" while I was gone. The riding was good - a circumnavigation of the White Tank Mountains (west of Phoenix), filmed with an Insta360 X2 and a HoverAir X1 camera drone...

17Cacti.jpg

FromDrone.jpg

16Jim.JPG

A ride up the twisty road on South Mountain (Phoenix, AZ, area) - it's about 5 miles from our house to the start of that ride - here's a video I just finished working up (shot last Tuesday)...

Been a while since I updated here. A few weeks ago, I added a Burgman 200 scooter to the garage...

IMG_6555.jpg

Small, light, easy, and fun. And, surprisingly peppy - it'll do an honest 75 mph, maybe a bit more. Ran it yesterday with my wife on her Xmax... good thing I'm over being competitive.

13JoanBikes.jpg

I test sat one of those a couple of years ago. Man, that seat was comfortable (and big).

Happy to hear you're liking the B200. Eager to read your continuing reviews.

Do you find the B200 to be more stable than a Vespa?
Pretty similar as far as the ride. At 75 mph on the Interstate, it feels like the B200 may be a bit more planted than the Vespa. Through some tight twisty curves, the B200 feels a bit lighter - not a good or bad difference. It would be helpful to be able to ride them one after the other. I'm going from a couple years removed from the Vespa GTS.

From an aesthetic viewpoint, the Vespa oozes class. The B200 feels more practical (more storage, better wind protection). The B200 is more Vespa-like than PCX-like, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
It's great that you have such a nice ride so close to home.

It is, perhaps, my 3rd favorite thing about moving here. First, of course, is being next door to our daughter and son-in-law. Second is sitting in the hot tub with a view of the mountains.*

* I had to say that in case my daughter came in and looked over my shoulder.

Great review. I have been on the fence about a b200 for over a year. The twin head light strom look is a plus. The top speed is impressive. I just wonder if I will get a hip cramp like many other bikes. I have only rode dualsports and my strom because of this. I do not recall ever getting a cramp on our vino125 which we 2up all over. But seat was not long enough...maybe a b200. I have a vstar1300 to trade or sell for a new scoot.

Great review. I have been on the fence about a b200 for over a year. The twin head light strom look is a plus. The top speed is impressive. I just wonder if I will get a hip cramp like many other bikes. I have only rode dualsports and my strom because of this. I do not recall ever getting a cramp on our vino125 which we 2up all over. But seat was not long enough...maybe a b200. I have a vstar1300 to trade or sell for a new scoot.

I had a V-Strom years ago. Going from memory, this Burgman 200 has nothing in common with the Strom, except that Suzuki "S" emblem. For a small scoot, the B200 is impressive. Very entertaining, especially when running it through some mountain curves. I find the seat hits me at the tailbone - the only thing I don't like about this scoot. From my perspective, the seat design could use a re-design: it has a long sweep at the back of the rider's seat that doesn't let you push back... your hind end tries to move up as you push back. If the raised part of the rider's seat was moved back a couple inches, with a steeper slope, it would allow more room. The seat is wide, but doesn't give a lot of support on the back of your thighs - not sure what this would do for your hip cramp situation. I've read that some people find the seat comfortable... so, different strokes for different butts.

I test rode a Vino 125 when my wife was considering one about 12 years ago (IIRC). I remember feeling very cramped on it when we tried it two up. Add some foam to the bottom of the rider's seat on this B200 (to make it more level) and it would be much roomier than the Vino. And the B200 will run rings around the Vino, in both acceleration and top speed.

Maybe a lengthy test sit at a dealer (most won't do test rides these days) to see if this scoot would work with your hip. For full disclosure, it was a deteriorating hip that led us to a pair of scooters 11 years ago. New hip - I can ride most anything again... but I do like a fun scooter!

Another "movie trailer" that will be coming soon to no theater near you...

These "trailers" are fast and easy (just the way I like my riding) - no hours of editing, adding transitions and titles, searching for the right music, doing voice-overs, then uploading them to YouTube where their compression will turn 'em to mush. This one is a short video on yesterday's ride to Tortilla Flats.

Top Bottom Back Refresh