What's new

Just wanna ride...

Last night, I was going through my camera gear (the "little" cameras) and came across the Roadie Remote that I haven't used since last year. I put a new battery in it, charged up the batteries for the Insta360 One R, and swapped out the 360 lens module for a 4k... I don't know why. :-) Maybe I was thinking it would be less editing than the 360 videos. Well, it is, but there is a definite reason the 360 cameras are so much better on a bike than the typical 4K cameras (the GoPro types) - the stabilization on the Insta360 cameras when shooting 360 video is impressive.

At first I was moderately appalled at the raw video, but a bit of processing helps "the shakes." Then, I kinda enjoyed how the horizon leans with the bike compared to the 360 video (sometimes I have to "add" a bit of rotation to make it look realistic). If anyone has 12 minutes to piss away, let me know what you think of this video vs other recent bike videos.

Happy Independence Day, scooter friends! Glad I got out this morning on the bike - the thunderstorms rolled in this afternoon.

I worked up the video from yesterday's ride. A hot day here (mid-90s), so I enjoyed the air conditioned comfort while editing. I have been getting comments on past videos on YouTube, some as much as 2-3 years old, where people seem to think these are supposed to be instructional or informational videos. The one that has had the most comments is the one where Joan and I were "racing" the Vespa and the Xmax... um, no, these were not sanctioned races... just an old guy and his wife running them for scooter dominance within the family. Seriously, who comments on a 2 year old video? Oh, sure, I have "talked through" the occasional video in the past, but mostly I just set them to music, maybe add a comment or two, and do them for myself to view when I can't be riding.

This one is a 14 minute video of riding... for the sheer fun of it. For grins, I did some split-screen video of forward and rearward views from the same camera (camera on the back of Joan's Xmax so I could see the CTX from a forward point of view). That bit of editing took some time. If you want to see some of the fun roads in Custer State Park, this is for you. 20 seconds of talking, the rest is riding set to music.

And still images from that ride: https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2022/07/didja-get-1528-worth-of-entertainment.html

What kind of instructional video was that???

I was expecting for you to reveal the meaning of life or something like that:dirtdog

Then it hit me. You did reveal the meaning of life! Life doesn't get any better than riding a motorcycle or scooter on a curvy road with beautiful scenery:ricky:ricky:ricky

What kind of instructional video was that???

I was expecting for you to reveal the meaning of life or something like that:dirtdog

Then it hit me. You did reveal the meaning of life! Life doesn't get any better than riding a motorcycle or scooter on a curvy road with beautiful scenery:ricky:ricky:ricky
The older I get, the more sure I am that I don't know the meaning of life... but, I know I shouldn't waste days doing stuff that brings no joy. Riding brings me joy. Riding on a great road makes it even more joyful. Riding on a curvy road with my Honey is the best. And, when she doesn't feel like riding and says, "Go enjoy yourself," it's still pretty damn joyful. :-)

A hot day, a solo ride, and the road crews are messing with all the roads close to the RV resort where we are staying. Still, the riding was good...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2022/07/a-hot-time.html

A couple preview images...

09IMRJim.jpg

23PlayhouseCurve.jpg

31PlayhouseRd.jpg

I was going to post another riding video from today, but I figured y'all had seen enough twisty roads and pretty scenery. I was surprised today to see people lining the street to get a glimpse of the CTX...

Nah, they weren't there to see your CTX. They were there to see Captn Jim the internet star!:D

Star? More like a small gaseous moon. In a small galaxy. Out on the edge of the universe. :-)

I look at the numbers once in a while and think, "My kid must be looking at the blog a couple thousand times a day."

I got out before the heat of the day kicked in. With all that is going on in the Black Hills right now, and "Sunday drivers," I stayed to the back roads. Hwy 89 and Hwy 87, west of Custer State Park - lots of fun curves and great scenery. This one is a short (less than 2 minutes) video showing some of today's ride...

[UWSL]Out on the bikes to Custer State Park and the Wildlife Loop. It is never a guarantee that you'll see wildlife while on that loop, but they resurfaced the road this year (it needed it) - what a delight. Today's video has no narration - sub-titles and music to enjoy the ride...[/UWSL]

[UWSL][/UWSL]

It isn't always about blasting through the curves - sometimes you just feel like lollygagging...

A couple photos to remember the day...

2Rushmore.jpg

4Needles.jpg

Out on the bikes today, in the northern Black Hills. When we got to Vanocker Canyon, I mounted a camera on the back of my bike to get video of Joan on her Xmax. She is not keen on being in the limelight, but I had fun being the "camera platform" as we cruised down the canyon. The blog post...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2022/08/featured-performer-blonde-on-xmax.html

And a few stills taken from the video...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I'll be working on the video. Fun day.

Top Bottom Back Refresh