What's new

Milling & Machining

Both the coolant and chip dumpster were at the low end of the trough, so coolant was constantly flowing through a dumpster full of chips, mill scale, oil, etc. Also, the chips couldn't be cleared while milling. It was a dumb set up that was easily improved by plugging the holes in the dumpster and locating it at the high end of the trough. That lasted until the next shift, when it was returned to the original configuration to "save coolant". It didn't save anything, but it did contaminate the coolant faster.

lol that reminds me of a volunteer job I helped with some years ago- turning down a streetcar axle on a 24" swing Pacemaker to fit new wheels- one of the late model Pacemakers with huge built-in chip pan. Part of the job was cleaning chips out of the pan with a coal shovel into 50 gal trash cans. Man that lathe was nice :-)

I was at an auction in an aerospace place in Los angles that had gantry mills with 100' tables. The tables were about 2' above floor level. There were moats running around the tables and little canals that ran back to a coolant recycling plant. There 2 gantrys per table. Each gantry had 3 articulating heads with 100hp spindles in them. I always wonder where those beasts ended up.

I was at an auction in an aerospace place in Los angles that had gantry mills with 100' tables. The tables were about 2' above floor level. There were moats running around the tables and little canals that ran back to a coolant recycling plant. There 2 gantrys per table. Each gantry had 3 articulating heads with 100hp spindles in them. I always wonder where those beasts ended up.
Impressive. I wonder if they milled components for wingboxes.

Impressive. I wonder if they milled components for wingboxes.
Your not wrong. I'll have to check my archives from the old Boeing days to see if I still have a photo or two of the setup

All right So I finished up the coolant Hub, got it plumbed, and got the power wired to run off the Gcode. All that is left is to wait for the pump now. In the mean time the power drawbar air cylinder came in so I got that mocked up and prepped, just waiting on a few T lines and the foot pedal and that'll be done as well. Next up, an ATC:super I like the way the coolant hub sits right now, its super flush to the spindle, am curious if I'll end up with any clearance issues in the long run for deeper cuts.

And its now cleaned out, could almost eat off it now lol
_nc_ohc=JpJ4nopu1UMAX-OP9hl&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=kgkfXrULUm4AX8M1RGL&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=6txo9kBkTloAX8hMHpZ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=TGXWk8Hk4P0AX9HTKNU&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg
_nc_ohc=MkFuTCPLwesAX_ZJIwN&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

That should be really effective to transfer vibes to the phone

:hide

Maybe, it's got those brace deals on it and didn't seem to shake much.

Maybe there's a screen stabilization app:lol2

its the image stabilization chip on the camera that goes bad with the vibes.
Screens have always been rock solid on the bikes for me. Cameras, not so much

anyway, nice job with the machining

Landed a wheelie bad once and my phone bounced out of my X Grip. I never cared for that mount much anyway. Got one like BDKW1 has and it's great.

So i got the coolant pump wired up properly and......its way better than I had expected! in fact the pressure is so good there is no way I can use it even with the crude splashguards I put up. The cheap ones I put up was just lome leftover 24" tall plastic bins I had and the majority of coolant just splashed over the top of it :lol3 So time to build an enclosure for the little guy, so far I've got the walls all up just waiting on a side job from work to get the leftover polycarbonate so I can make the doors and hopefully a top cover to. Its getting exciting!

Yeah I saw a few other guys using it for their 440 and it looks like it will comfortably survive 5 years + of use. Honestly I hope to have a nicer machine by that point so it isn't a huge concern, also....the polycarbonate will be free leftovers :super The main enclosure will be some steel plate Ipicked up and had lying around.

Thats the first good pic I have seen of that tapping done, up till now its looked like they were hand reaming. I hope they don't break that tap off in the hole :lol3

Got the flood coolant running and the enclosure mostly enclosuring. Man does it make a difference! I accidently ran a 1/8 endmill instead of a 1/4 endmill facing op and it wasnt happy but it survived completely unscathed. Before the flood coolant it would have broken before the second pass lol the engraving is looking much cleaner even at faster feeds than before to. Time to really start making parts:super
p_bswAX8zkIh9&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5749.mov
    27.3 MB
  • IMG_5748.mov
    20.2 MB
The last one I saw I think was on reddit but it was more from over the guys shoulder and across the hanger. You couldn't make out he threads at all on the part or the tap which I thought was really odd, I cant say I've seen hand reaming before lol
There are some really tight shots in that video. I don't recall seeing anything that close before, so maybe SpaceX has opened up some new viewpoints. Starship Gazer has media access, with high enough resolution and focal length to do the job.

Edit: I lied it apparently was the same clip, just the compression on the video killed all ability to see the threads:lol3

Last edited:
Coolant makes a big difference for tool life, quality of cut.. its a big deal. Chip evacuation makes a big difference too, not just with endmills

Coolant makes a big difference for tool life, quality of cut.. its a big deal. Chip evacuation makes a big difference too, not just with endmills
For sure, even with the fairly safe speeds and feeds I have been running with the fogger it was a night and day difference compared to that flood. I think thats the cleanest the mill had been since I got it to :lol3 I most of my cuts to run well with a nice rooster tail but with the fogger it means sticky chips stuck to everything.

Top Bottom Back Refresh