What's new

Rant About Your Day Here!

It's only 0242 and my living room carpet is completely soaked from the storm. Water breached the sliding glass doors. Neighbor above had a breach as well and the water from that unit dripped into mine.

Had a call from a friend I help out around the house for- last time it was 2" of sewage water in the basement, happily this time it was just water coming in fast via a basement window well but at least she still had power for the sump pump. We shared a moment of PTSD... I think she's going to clean out the well and put a better cover over it. What a wet messy hairball monster of a storm whew!

Hopefully you didn’t get too soggy, Soggy!
Oh, half of my living room was VERY soggy! It's mostly dry now since I made use of my shop-vac, shampoo vac to remove the stink of the rainwater, and apartment management called in a crew to take care of the rest. I prepared for the storm by powering down all my electronics, shutting everything off, pulling them from the sockets, and placing them in high spots. Yesterday morning would have made for a shocking discovery.

Oh, half of my living room was VERY soggy! It's mostly dry now since I made use of my shop-vac, shampoo vac to remove the stink of the rainwater, and apartment management called in a crew to take care of the rest. I prepared for the storm by powering down all my electronics, shutting everything off, pulling them from the sockets, and placing them in high spots. Yesterday morning would have made for a shocking discovery.
Yall go the tail end of what we had. Our town was a little weird. Same seansonal scenario shredded this town a decade ago. About 2 years ago the near by town got hit. We were all wandering but heck I slept through it all. And my yard is a swamp. The rattling roof tins all day at work wore me out.

I hope your place dries up. And good job on getting the water out quick as possible!

Oh yes the 1st time on 110 only hertz 60 times. After about 500 times it is a laughing roulette of hertz. Worse is arm to arm through the heart. Gotta love ac power equipment in wet mineral rich environments. Sheez the old timers with metal body two wire tools were bad ass!

Drill the hole..but it hertz

After the 3rd time unplugging a wet saw dust cord and getting lit up...I finally got smart and held the plug end on concrete to unplug. Haha the female plug end had some bite...so freaking ironic....it hertz...still laughing a week later

My day started at 6AM Daughter is Home she and the eldest Lad Fed the animals and i was kind of redundant, so walked round the back of the buildings and OH NO! a great pile of logs and some trunks not yet cut up to 9 inch lengths yet.
I had done most of it but neighbour dropped my share of some of his trees which came down in the new year storms and some pine he had chopped down because they were leaning with root rot trouble in the wet ground down to near constant flooding,.
So got the Ford 4600 and put the pallet tynes on the 3 point and lifted a pine, set too Cutting it up , Eldest lad came round back gave me a hand, got another saw and we had then in b its by 10AM . Thats the good bit, The Ash trees split ok but the Pine its horrible, i dont come accross much of it. But it all came flooding back, Soft sticky stuff is pine it buries an AXE and yet will not crack through the round.
I kept having to wrestle the axe blade out nearly everytine nightmare. I was tempted to grind the blade off my felling axe and then the lad came up with the idea to cut a slit in the logs and then split the logs with a wedge and 5lb hammer.
So i up ended a few logs tried his idea. Well it kind of worked. But was super slow and believe it or not hard graft compred to swinging an axe.
Sent wife to screwfix to buy a Bigger axe , came back with an 8lb felling axe which was suprisingly wide in the girth for a felling axe and acctualy split the pine ok, but my advancing years and an 8lb AXE dont bond well and after a hour i was quite frankly sweatin g like a pig. By now the whole family were involved the lads were taking it in turns on the AXe and i was splitting a few with the 41/2LB axe by pinning the round picking the thing up and smashing it down. I did buzz a few rounds with the saw but it was tedious.
If you are likeley to find yoourself Splitting rounds in any number, especialy pine, Get an axe with a wide broach on it not too much blade, Harder wods you might get away with the basic AXEs you already have, but pine its something else, I am of the opinion you can never have enough axes for splitting. If anyone has a recomendation for a fresh cut pine spliting axe pray tell i am all ears. An hour on that 8lb AXe was enough for this old Greaser , a Log splitter might be rarely used but i would have bought on in a heartbeat today let me tell you.

Last edited:
My day started at 6AM Daughter is Home she and the eldest Lad Fed the animals and i was kind of redundant, so walked round the back of the buildings and OH NO! a great pile of logs and some trunks not yet cut up to 9 inch lengths yet.
I had done most of it but neighbour dropped my share of some of his trees which came down in the new year storms and some pine he had chopped down because they were leaning with root rot trouble in the wet ground down to near constant flooding,.
So got the Ford 4600 and put the pallet tynes on the 3 point and lifted a pine, set too Cutting it up , Eldest lad came round back gave me a hand, got another saw and we had then in b its by 10AM . Thats the good bit, The Ash trees split ok but the Pine its horrible, i dont come accross much of it. But it all came flooding back, Soft sticky stuff is pine it buries an AXE and yet will not crack through the round.
I kept having to wrestle the axe blade out nearly everytine nightmare. I was tempted to grind the blade off my felling axe and then the lad came up with the idea to cut a slit in the logs and then split the logs with a wedge and 5lb hammer.
So i up ended a few logs tried his idea. Well it kind of worked. But was super slow and believe it or not hard graft compred to swinging an axe.
Sent wife to screwfix to buy a Bigger axe , came back with an 8lb felling axe which was suprisingly wide in the girth for a felling axe and acctualy split the pine ok, but my advancing years and an 8lb AXE dont bond well and after a hour i was quite frankly sweatin g like a pig. By now the whole family were involved the lads were taking it in turns on the AXe and i was splitting a few with the 41/2LB axe by pinning the round picking the thing up and smashing it down. I did buzz a few rounds with the saw but it was tedious.
If you are likeley to find yoourself Splitting rounds in any number, especialy pine, Get an axe with a wide broach on it not too much blade, Harder wods you might get away with the basic AXEs you already have, but pine its something else, I am of the opinion you can never have enough axes for splitting. If anyone has a recomendation for a fresh cut pine spliting axe pray tell i am all ears. An hour on that 8lb AXe was enough for this old Greaser , a Log splitter might be rarely used but i would have bought on in a heartbeat today let me tell you.
Ya I like felling axes. But splitting with a felling ax is rough.

There is that crazy screw splitter. It is conical.

Ha we don't even like to mill pine. But the smell and grain is awesome on big logs.

Ya I like felling axes. But splitting with a felling ax is rough.

There is that crazy screw splitter. It is conical.

Ha we don't even like to mill pine. But the smell and grain is awesome on big logs.

Ah yeah I put in a lot of hours behind a barkbuster- thats the name of the tractor PTO driven conic screw log splitter we used. As a kid, we heated entirely with wood so were constantly cutting and splitting. We used it enough to wear the point off the screw, my father remanufactured the tip by building it up with a welder and recutting the threads on the milling machine, manually interpolating the helix. Despite being a rough repair it worked fine.

You have to be careful with those- the tractor isn't doing more than idling but it still spins that cone pretty fast. You have to present the log with the other end securely against the brace or the cone is liable to grab the log out of your hands and spin it at light speed. Then you have to shut off the PTO and saw/pry/beat on the log to get it off the screw. Its super-fun when you get cocky and go fast and get your fingers pinched between the wood and the brace when the screw bites.

They are amazingly capable though, we regularly put > 2' diam sections of pin-oak trunk on it, breaking them down until we had fireplace sized pieces. The splits tend to be pretty hairy compared to splitting by maul or wedge but oh so much faster and easier. It would split the nightmare pieces with lots of big limbs no problem- those big sections you could sink 3 or 4 wedges into and still not split.

During the summer and fall we would fill farm wagon sized loads of firewood most every weekend, sometimes two or three if we weren't cutting enough in previous weeks, and stack them in various places to season for winter. Sure glad I'm not doing that now... we have our amateur hour firepit with whatever limbs come down in the backyard, sawn up... no more 5+ hours in the late fall cold hauling muddy logs to the splitter followed by endless stacking.

Last edited:
If anyone has a recomendation for a fresh cut pine spliting axe pray tell i am all ears. An hour on that 8lb AXe was enough for this old Greaser , a Log splitter might be rarely used but i would have bought on in a heartbeat today let me tell you.

I had good luck with a Monster Maul iirc thats what it was called. It was <heavy> like a sledge hammer, well over 10-15 lbs IIRC, and a sharply triangular head- no finesse or engineering at all, just a primitive f'ing heavy isocelese triangle with a steel bar handle. The idea was you hoist that beast up and direct the swing but let gravity do the work. I did split a good bit of pine with it and there was no trouble with it getting stuck. Most often it would blast apart the pieces no problem, but was not surgical in the way a practiced maul swing can be. So pretty good at blowing apart soft or stringy stuff but not something you'd use to cut down better pieces and definitely not the tool for making kindling.

I had good luck with a Monster Maul iirc thats what it was called. It was <heavy> like a sledge hammer, well over 10-15 lbs IIRC, and a sharply triangular head- no finesse or engineering at all, just a primitive f'ing heavy isocelese triangle with a steel bar handle. The idea was you hoist that beast up and direct the swing but let gravity do the work. I did split a good bit of pine with it and there was no trouble with it getting stuck. Most often it would blast apart the pieces no problem, but was not surgical in the way a practiced maul swing can be. So pretty good at blowing apart soft or stringy stuff but not something you'd use to cut down better pieces and definitely not the tool for making kindling.
Sounds good, a normal axe even a heavyish one just burys itself no smash through, i think more broach and weight as you discribe would do pine, like i say normal hardish woods you can smash it but pine its another level of anoying.

Sounds good, a normal axe even a heavyish one just burys itself no smash through, i think more broach and weight as you discribe would do pine, like i say normal hardish woods you can smash it but pine its another level of anoying.

Dig it. We had a lot of mature pin-oaks on the farm, and a number in the woods, some well over 3' diameter lower in the trunk. We cut them down when they died, some fell on their own- we didn't harvest living trees. The wood burned nicely once dry, when wet it was quite heavy and I always liked the smell of the fresh sawdust.

When straight grained it tended to split really well, particularly on sections of trunk below where the limbs branched out. Quite often it was possible to split a trunk segment into quarters with a couple strikes of the maul, then walk around it reducing each quadrant slice by slice, tossing the small enough pieces into the waqon to make room. But once into the limbs boy was it ever a bear to split by hand.

We surely had the occasional soft-wood tree, but anything that was tough would go right onto the screw splitter. Generally we were only hand splitting the biggest stuff into pieces we could horse onto the splitter. One of the biggest trees we processed was so large we borrowed the neighbor's hydraulic splitter and man was that luxury lol

To this day when I cut up a something I go for kitchen stove length pieces despite not having a fireplace. Shorter is easier to split in any case.

Too many damn 4 wheelers went and got their CDL and are now driving in the left lane as if they're driving their shitty little car. They don't move over, speed up as you're passing, some even try to move over to startle others, they abuse the use of their high beams, and the ones who are the common offenders tend to be the immigrants. LTL and OTR companies are scraping the bottom of the barrel of the hiring pool. There is no trucker shortage. There is a massive shortage of respect within the industry, livable wages, common fucking sense, and common courtesy. I suppose those last two things are constructs of hwite supremacy or something.

This little beast is the best thing I’ve ever found for the manual splitting of wood. I've had it for about 40 years, don’t remember where I got it or what I paid, but driving it with the back end of the splitting maul still makes short work of logs for firewood. As it's driven in, it also twists so it splits, not cuts and there's plenty of fringe on the wood to make it easy to light. Those little notches keep it from backing back out, so every strike counts.

3" diameter, 7" length.

Curiosity got the best of me.

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
This little beast is the best thing I’ve ever found for the manual splitting of wood. I've had it for about 40 years, don’t remember where I got it or what I paid, but driving it with the back end of the splitting maul still makes short work of logs for firewood. As it's driven in, it also twists so it splits, not cuts and there's plenty of fringe on the wood to make it easy to light. Those little notches keep it from backing back out, so every strike counts.

3" diameter, 7" length.

Curiosity got the best of me.

Certainly looks pretty handy. I like the sharp point as compared to a wedge. On a really strong piece- those ones that the splitting maul just bounces off, it can be a bit tedious to get a wedge started. That point likely makes it a lot easier to start, and I bet it is much less prone to tilting as wedges so often do.

No backing out with a wedge either once its deep in. Sometimes you can get away with knocking them back and forth to work them out, to permit going in with a saw or to try somewhere else on the piece. Sometimes they're in for the duration and only come free when the piece finally splits. THeres been a few times I've sunk one wedge, then put another in on top of it and sunk that one too. pita. then when you finally get the piece apart and recover everything its time to fix up the damage to the wedges. Guess thats why they call it work...

One whack gets it started. I can use a little 3 pound hand sledge for that. Now that I have a decent cordless drill, I may try drilling a small hole and see how that works instead. Like you said earlier, shorter lengths are much easier to split.

I had issues with a wedge going sideways if my hit wasn't true (something that happened more often as the day grew long). Correcting that was a PITA. This thing doesn't, so the wedge now makes a great doorstop in the garage. :lol3

Last edited:
This about what we use

I can't find any video that shows how fast this machine can really run. And how much of a mess it makes. The mess is unreal. The machine needs to be fed at full speed with a big tractor. And clean up requires many skid steer loads of debris. Plus 2 workers with shovels and rakes. We loaded a hole semi a few days ago. Machine runs a few hrs a week at full speed. Multitek used a steel fuel tank and that has been very problematic. Fortunately no regen on the engine!

As far as cdl drivers...I have too many stories of I40 and I77. We deal with trucks almost every day at work. Our short haul logging truck drivers are just ok. We all park our vehicles way the heck out of the way because a few drivers are goofy. But most of our long haul for pick up of finer finished products are on a different level.

Top Bottom Back Refresh