What's new

Scottish Six Day Trial Thread

One thing that the GG situation has changed, is that John Shirt Jr. (Shirty) the longtime now ex UK GG importer gets to ride it this year. He no longer has to coordinate the support of GG riders. There was a time when Shirty was a contender for the win, but it always eluded him. If Johnathan is on a GG, a chat with Shirty is in order, as few people can offer more advice on riding the SSDT. One of that few others, would be UK Scorpa importer Nigel Birkett. He has ridden and finished every SSDT, since 1971.... quite an accomplishment!

Is it just me or does everyone keep getting this flashing up on here ???.

1649372303608.png

I think it’s becoming more of a bucket list event for riders of all levels, in fact one of the guys I mountain ride with who has never entered a trial was saying just that. It makes sense to make the riders attempt each section although the clock plays such a big role in the event that I’m sure that’s a reason fives get asked for.

Jonathan was saying today that he is doubling up his kit so he can start the day dry... Also noted - "you don't go to Scotland in May for the weather"
1651183561939.png

Stan is on his way there, sounds like a two day journey to get there from Vancouver. Will get to catch up with him at our May long weekend trial, I told him I expect to see him on the daily video!

I think it’s becoming more of a bucket list event for riders of all levels, in fact one of the guys I mountain ride with who has never entered a trial was saying just that. It makes sense to make the riders attempt each section although the clock plays such a big role in the event that I’m sure that’s a reason fives get asked for.
Not everyone who puts it on their Bucket List, and who also have the means and time are going to get to ride it. You apply to be considered for an entry in a ballot. There are 288 spots, and 50 of those reserved for trials industry related entrants, also add in long time riders who always seem to always find a spot on the ballot. There are 32 Newcomers on the rider list this year. That's just a tick over 11%. A rider who doesn't have an adequate level of experience, won't be considered. A newcomer has to submit their riding credentials/resume. That new rule about not requesting 5's is to discourage riders without the proper skill level, from entering at all.

Good ride yesterday. Stan with 10 marks and Jonathan with 13 marks are sitting 128th and 157th in the middle of the pack - off to a great first day !!! Jonathan said he rode some sections better than in the past and some worse than in the past. I am sure that the fact that it wasn't held for 2 years makes it tougher for the repeat riders. hoping for a good day today !

Watching some of those sections and doing my best to understand that video flattens terrain, what level of rider is the minimum to survive this event? Let’s put it on a US national skill level. I feel like the White support line is pretty easy but I am not quite ready for Blue line. I think I will be able to do Blue line next year without punching too many 5s.

Good ride yesterday. Stan with 10 marks and Jonathan with 13 marks are sitting 128th and 157th in the middle of the pack - off to a great first day !!! Jonathan said he rode some sections better than in the past and some worse than in the past. I am sure that the fact that it wasn't held for 2 years makes it tougher for the repeat riders. hoping for a good day today !
Johnathan is on 55 pts and Stan 59.

Watching some of those sections and doing my best to understand that video flattens terrain, what level of rider is the minimum to survive this event? Let’s put it on a US national skill level. I feel like the White support line is pretty easy but I am not quite ready for Blue line. I think I will be able to do Blue line next year without punching too many 5s.
A good yardstick might be to check how many points Mark Talbot has, I'm sure you have seen quite a few of his BVM videos and know what his skill level is. I don't know what the White line is in NATC but Stan rides a class lower than NATC Expert.

A good yardstick might be to check how many points Mark Talbot has, I'm sure you have seen quite a few of his BVM videos and know what his skill level is. I don't know what the White line is in NATC but Stan rides a class lower than NATC Expert.

NATC expert is Red, the line below is Blue. I can ride blue now but would be punching 5s on some of the bigger splats just because of self preservation and age.

It might be hard to compare, as the sections ridden are so different than a typical US National. Dennis Sweeten has ridden it a bunch, what line does he ride. Travis Fox has ridden it, so talk to him for some good input. There are some big steps (waterfalls) in some sections, but a lot of in line rocks. You would need to start riding every type creek you can find in prep for it.
Johnathan is on 55 pts and Stan 59.
132nd and 146th respectively. You have to wait until it says 0 sections missing before the provisional scoring is complete....

Top Bottom Back Refresh