What's new

Shooting, Guns & Ammo, Hunting

Haha I won't say how the hogs get killed over political reasons. But it is a hunting and gun thread.. it is exhaustion and mercy killings. The bears can run up trees. The hogs fight with the dogs. All legal and it freaking feeds people through crop productivity. 30-40 hogs externminated and not a shot fired per a weekend of extermination. The meat is useless! Now we get into the deal...who sticks a bear. The same dam bear that ruins a mega peanut farm. Who is the bad ass.. The 200lb bears are mean with cubs. A 800lb bear is well fed ..legally...Use to be with donuts ....freaking news and political bs. Hungry is hungry. What a freaking joke for local hunters and exterminators.. Freaking controversial as f..... Talk about herring fishing in my home state.

Haha, amusing, hard to understand, sounds vaguely political, but I won't be the one to dob you in. :lol3

Haha, amusing, hard to understand, sounds vaguely political, but I won't be the one to dob you in. :lol3
Doesn't matter in your world. Hell how many poisonous snakes are occuping your land. I mean legless creatures with venom.

How difficult is it to get local Fish & Game agencies to address the hog & bear problems, or allow citizens to do it?

In my area, feral hogs are enough of a problem that game wardens work with property owners to help them thin the herds legally. I've never eaten the meat, but I know some folks have ways to prepare them that makes some of the meat sound tasty. Coyotes like the hog meat even if the humans don't.
Fun and games has become an industrial standard? Kinda wild. The coyotes are a priority. Above all else. The coyotes are smart. 5 trucks and 25 gps dogs can be eluded by a coyote. But the old timers keep a donkey. The donkey has to grow with the herd it is protecting. Then then donkey pulverizes the coyote. Two schools of thought like anything else.

Bear and hog dogs can cost up to $2k. The dogs have a job that is unspoken. And getting mended by the owners is normal. With great success. The vets wont touch these work animals after a hog or bear fight. That is the nicer but true side of nc farming.

Doesn't matter in your world. Hell how many poisonous snakes are occupying your land. I mean legless creatures with venom.

Drunk and poisonous... :imaposer

I am sure you expect the answer to be none, but there are a few. Asp Viper, Adder, Meadow Viper are found near my home. There are about 17 venomous species in Western Europe.

PS. I deleted the other posts. I'm done with that silliness.

Drunk and poisonous... :imaposer

I am sure you expect the answer to be none, but there are a few. Asp Viper, Adder, Meadow Viper are found near my home. There are about 17 venomous species in Western Europe.
Not at all! But do you worry about diamondbacks or wild hogs on your bicycle rides. Haha or your neighbor's pit mix going a 1/4 mile from home. Jeez CTG you got the life and enjoy it.. I dont want to argue. You are communicating with half sucidal carbon forms of another world that might have cut bolts with oxy on gas tank straps too many times. High risk and measly pay moto enthusiasts is below your intelligence.

Reactions: CTG
Fun and games has become an industrial standard? Kinda wild. The coyotes are a priority. Above all else. The coyotes are smart. 5 trucks and 25 gps dogs can be eluded by a coyote. But the old timers keep a donkey. The donkey has to grow with the herd it is protecting. Then then donkey pulverizes the coyote. Two schools of thought like anything else.

Bear and hog dogs can cost up to $2k. The dogs have a job that is unspoken. And getting mended by the owners is normal. With great success. The vets wont touch these work animals after a hog or bear fight. That is the nicer but true side of nc farming.

First hand... It can be gruesome and I prefer a bullet. But dogs are necessary in wooded areas.

Not at all! But do you worry about diamondbacks or wild hogs on your bicycle rides. Haha or your neighbor's pit mix going a 1/4 mile from home. Jeez CTG you got the life and enjoy it.. I dont want to argue. You are communicating with half sucidal carbon forms of another world that might have cut bolts with oxy on gas tank straps too many times. High risk and measly pay moto enthusiasts is below your intelligence.

Relax. I'm not arguing... I am enjoying some civil discourse.

And... Snakes stay away, pigs no, I've nearly hit deer on my bike and moto. Dogs can sometimes be a problem on a ride. We're not totally immune to problems.

It provides peanut butter to the world and I fix the equipment. ...that is it

Fix the equipment?

The pig dogs I've seen wear a lot of armour to protect them from the worst injuries. Sometimes I saw them being cleaned and stitched up on the back of a truck.

Fix the equipment?

The pig dogs I've seen wear a lot of armour to protect them from the worst injuries. Sometimes I saw them being cleaned and stitched up on the back of a truck.
Honestly the guts get shoved back in wth a garden hose washing on the tail gate. Fortunately the hunters are butchers and know anatomy well. I almost started a business of dog armor.. Sometimes the brutality of situations and cultures is unspoken. Wish ya well from the wild west. Hope no hard feelings. I wish for unity in our moto land. I hope we are on that page for us and everone else.

Honestly the guts get shoved back in wth a garden hose washing on the tail gate. Fortunately the hunters are butchers and know anatomy well. I almost started a business of dog armor.. Sometimes the brutality of situations and cultures is unspoken. Wish ya well from the wild west. Hope no hard feelings. I wish for unity in our moto land. I hope we are on that page for us and everone else.

We're good. I've said it before. There is a rule with my friends. We can argue... loudly... but next day there are no grudges. It is in the past.
We had a moment in the last couple of weeks. As far as I am concerned that is done. What was it about? Who cares. It is forgotten.
I reserve the right to mock those who hold grudges. :imaposer

Home defence... For me, I have a few handguns and a beaut little 12ga under over coach gun. Nothing that will travel through walls. No ARs for example.
I keep a Judge on the nightstand with those triple defense rounds. One trigger pull= a .410 slug followed by two .30 cal balls. In a half awake state, I figure it's my best bet. My 9mm I carry around ( not unusual to have $10k+ on me for work reasons) gets plopped on the coffee table. No kids in my house, just the wife and I. But I'm really starting to think pepper spray is where it's at.

Sure, you hear the (rare) horror stories of some dude jacked up on something and only the manliest of manly rounds could stop his warpath. But for a run-in where you just really need someone to go away...a squirt of pepper and every gets to go home seems like a damn good idea to me. Cures the bullets through the walls you mentioned, and doesn't blow out your eardrums in the process.

I think hunters who butcher game have a different appreciation for life. I got no qualms about harvesting an animal for food. General public doesn't either, but grocery stores and fast food joints insulate them from the ugly part of the food chain they live in. I feel a bit of hesitation when aiming at a squirrel I plan on eating, but I realize it's part of life. The idea of taking a life is supposed to be unsettling. Occasionally you get that random muscle twitch when skinning something, or the game is still warm, that just further drives home the reality that you just ended a life.

If more people felt that little pang of guilt that a hunter feels when harvesting an animal I think the absolute horror of killing another human being would really sink in and guide their actions. It's not hunters that I worry about as some gun toting maniac. It's those folks that get joy from racking up points and awards for killing folks in video games. Killing something is supposed to feel bad, not train your brain to trigger a reward response. Man, that's a scary thought.

I'm not shitting on gamers. Just saying. Walking around carrying lethal force isn't really a warm and fuzzy feeling. Honestly, it's kinda gross. Gotta look out for your own, though.

Reactions: CTG
Honestly the guts get shoved back in wth a garden hose washing on the tail gate. Fortunately the hunters are butchers and know anatomy well. I almost started a business of dog armor.. Sometimes the brutality of situations and cultures is unspoken.
Never knew this was even thing. First time I ever heard the term "dog armor"........damn.

That brutality is life, though. Should be understood and not sanitized away.

A family heirloom is to be passed down to me pretty soon. It's my great-uncle's 1894 Winchester 30-30. I fired it a few years ago. Prior to that, it hadn't been used for anything since the late 50s, when another one of my great-uncles had it. Uncle JB was KIA on Iwo Jima 3 months before the end of the war. He fought at Guadalcanal, Vella Lavella, Bougainville, was present for the consolidation of the Northern Solomon Islands, and was a Hollywood trick horse rider and stuntman prior to the war. If you've seen those Old Western movies that were filmed in the 30s, one of the stuntmen seen may have been my uncle. He and Tex Ritter were super tight.

Never knew this was even thing. First time I ever heard the term "dog armor"........damn.

That brutality is life, though. Should be understood and not sanitized away.
They usually dont use armor around here. The dogs are gps tracked though. Every region varies on this. Florida hunters might use smaller dogs to control the hog. Then the hogs might be relocated. Hogs and bears cause too much crop damage here. It is open season on hogs. But bears have a short season. So the bears are "run" year round. Dog hunting is a big thing here. And most hunters are responsible. But not everyone agrees with the practice. The dog does agree. No one can force the dog to hunt. And some dogs early retire and will track but stay back. Other dogs get hurt once and refuse to have any part of hunting.

I keep a Judge on the nightstand with those triple defense rounds. One trigger pull= a .410 slug followed by two .30 cal balls. In a half awake state, I figure it's my best bet. My 9mm I carry around ( not unusual to have $10k+ on me for work reasons) gets plopped on the coffee table. No kids in my house, just the wife and I. But I'm really starting to think pepper spray is where it's at.

Sure, you hear the (rare) horror stories of some dude jacked up on something and only the manliest of manly rounds could stop his warpath. But for a run-in where you just really need someone to go away...a squirt of pepper and every gets to go home seems like a damn good idea to me. Cures the bullets through the walls you mentioned, and doesn't blow out your eardrums in the process.

I think hunters who butcher game have a different appreciation for life. I got no qualms about harvesting an animal for food. General public doesn't either, but grocery stores and fast food joints insulate them from the ugly part of the food chain they live in. I feel a bit of hesitation when aiming at a squirrel I plan on eating, but I realize it's part of life. The idea of taking a life is supposed to be unsettling. Occasionally you get that random muscle twitch when skinning something, or the game is still warm, that just further drives home the reality that you just ended a life.

If more people felt that little pang of guilt that a hunter feels when harvesting an animal I think the absolute horror of killing another human being would really sink in and guide their actions. It's not hunters that I worry about as some gun toting maniac. It's those folks that get joy from racking up points and awards for killing folks in video games. Killing something is supposed to feel bad, not train your brain to trigger a reward response. Man, that's a scary thought.

I'm not shitting on gamers. Just saying. Walking around carrying lethal force isn't really a warm and fuzzy feeling. Honestly, it's kinda gross. Gotta look out for your own, though.

Have you patterned the round at 21' or 25'? I'd be interested of you get 3 hits or 2 hit

1682856425181.png

I thought most people used the 5 ball buckshot in a Judge, (OOO buck)

I'd assume you get a pattern with 5 hits.

1682856618746.png

• Loaded with five 000 buckshot pellets
  • Minimal risk of over-penetration
  • Premium, high-brass cases

They usually dont use armor around here. The dogs are gps tracked though. Every region varies on this. Florida hunters might use smaller dogs to control the hog. Then the hogs might be relocated. Hogs and bears cause too much crop damage here. It is open season on hogs. But bears have a short season. So the bears are "run" year round. Dog hunting is a big thing here. And most hunters are responsible. But not everyone agrees with the practice. The dog does agree. No one can force the dog to hunt. And some dogs early retire and will track but stay back. Other dogs get hurt once and refuse to have any part of hunting.
You might already be aware of a podcast called Bear Grease. I've learned a bunch listening to those guys talk. They often mention how some folks are wanting to shut down hunting with dogs. It's not something I do ( I'm a poor 😁) , but if you've ever seen a dog hunting then it's obvious that it's in their blood and they love it. Just try and stop one when they're on a roll.

Have you patterned the round at 21' or 25'? I'd be interested of you get 3 hits or 2 hit

1682856425181.png

I thought most people used the 5 ball buckshot in a Judge, (OOO buck)

I'd assume you get a pattern with 5 hits.

1682856618746.png

• Loaded with five 000 buckshot pellets
  • Minimal risk of over-penetration
  • Premium, high-brass cases
For the triple defense, I shot a cylinder full ( 5 rds) at a sheet of plywood when I first got it. At 20' all three rds would land in an area about the size of a dinner plate or smaller. All 5 shots were pretty dang consistent. I was impressed for such a tiny barrel.

Well, I grew up around minders, but I was really good at slipping away and paid a price for that when I was 14. Attacked by someone I trusted when I was 18 (I broke his elbow for his trouble), shot twice on the job in 2014 that was incompetence and prompted my move into private security and last I was near a medical clinic in Ukraine that came under artillery attack and I collected a few more scars. I am not a victim.
In security work and protective services the use of firearms is an absolute last resort and when it does happen and the client is in peril there has been a string of failures. In fact, even drawing a firearm will trigger a major internal investigation. Blame will be attributed if it is due to negligence or incompetence, but we are looking for the reasons and ways to prevent similar occurrences in the future. It is a high value service and clients expect to never face a threat. It is the same at home. Personal security is multi layered and dynamic, always changing and we need to adjust with the changes. If we are vigilant we should never face a threat that requires guns.
In this line of work I meet people who want to kill (same people exist in police and military). They are going to be disappointed.
I also see a mentality where people who own guns want someone to do something (eg home invasion) that would justify homicide.

I don't feel guilt taking an animal for the table. I do that fairly regularly. What I cannot abide is wastage or senselessly killing just for the sake of it.

Just my 0.0000246c worth... :dunno

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh