What's new

T1N can motovan

One of the things that falls into the category of “obviously your professional F1 garage-level fleet maintenance should have caught that and corrected it, thus any failure is your fault and you will be punished but in a cleverly engineered way” is the automatic door locks.

In these vans there are two circuits for door locks. Front and back. Front is either just the driver door (my van) or the driver and passenger door. Rear is the remaining doors. Although on mine, the sliding side door isn’t automatic for some reason. But that’s a problem for another time.

If all your door sensors are working properly and your doors are closed, you can hit the lock button and the doors lock. If, however you are a stupid chucklefuck deserving of German engineering wrath and you have somehow let one of your door circuits stay open, well…. That’s a problem. Then, when you try to lock the doors they all try to lock, then unlock themselves then try to lock again just in case your dumb ass somehow managed to close them in that nanosecond and then they unlock again. On an American car, this might be solved by just, you know locking. You can certainly close the sprinter doors when they’re locked so they’re not trying to protect you from locking yourself out. On the sprinter, however, the solution is to either lock the door and then close it (something that does not work on the passenger door for reasons and only works sometimes on the drivers door for other reasons, both of which I’m dead sure are user error but works fine on the back door), or you can lock the door and hold the key in the lock position. The doors on that circuit will then lock. Then unlock because remember your door circuits are messed up somehow? Then try to lock again. Then unlock. But if you just hold the key in the lock position throughout, it will stay locked. You have to do it drivers side, passengers side, then lock the rear door as usual. No, I don’t know why the same rule doesn’t apply to the rear door.

Pain in the ass to read, right? It’s worse to do every time. Which is why today’s project was replacing some hardware to get this little blinking light to go away. I assure you, it is blinking. That lets you know which door is open. The left arrow pointing forward is for the “front” or drivers circuit. And when you try to lock it from inside, the passenger’s side actually locks so you know it’s the rear door.

LNjKtam.jpg

Step one, replace the bottom sensor because it was missing. Mmm shiny.

OxJtvSi.jpg

Then, in an abundance of caution, these guys are getting replaced. Mostly because they used to have two prong versions but at some point were superseded by three contact versions.

NoZ22Ts.jpg

Of course, the wiring loom wasn’t superseded…

7X2Mb02.jpg

Everything all buttoned up!

JTG5scj.jpg

Does it work now? No. And I am feeling personally attacked by that question. I’ll have to dig into the electrics to see if something else is wrong. Like a blown fuse.

Also on the menu? Replacing this very effective wrench system for opening the left rear door. Does it work? Yes. Technically. But I can feel the weight of MB engineering judgment looming from across the pond.

4aabpx2.jpg

Cute as a button.

c6GOFKE.jpg

And interesting. Because, hi mb engineers who I love and respect, of fucking course you made it so there is a proper way to close this door. You see, you don’t just shut it. You shut it and flip that forward.

Just shutting it does this.

cho8zpT.jpg

Then flip it forward?
c853zVX.jpg

And this pops up, locking the door in place. After which you are permitted to shut the other side.
ifO8lxn.jpg

The other rear door problem is that it’s not shutting entirely. It closes and latches but not as much as it’s supposed to. Which I thought was going to be solved by adjusting the strike pin, but apparently not. So that and the electrical issues on the rear door will be a problem for another day. There’s only so much working on the van after work in freezing weather I have in me. Plus, you know, don’t want to miss taco Tuesday.

The transit has similar electric contacts on the sliding door. I dread the day when they start to act up. After 2.5 years of use, I can feel the sliding door is not as smooth as it was when new. It is not bad but not butter smooth, like it was.

There is a LOT on this in sprinter-source.com.

Personal. Side door. One contact intermittent stic not stick. 2. Small bit of insulation caught in push pull rod. Intermittent.

Left rear door close can be tweaked a bit with hinges. Actually both can. If it is all correct closing right door will press that lever to lock the left. Mine requires spotless clean and lube or it will push back and squeak.
Yeah, there's also a great video by KC sprinters that I've watched where he talks about it all and it's where I learned about how the rear left is supposed to work.

Next step is definitely cleaning and lubing the latch but I didn't have a long enough T30 to remove the handle and also next step is actually definitely organizing my tools because they're a disaster and I need to organize them to figure out how they fit. But while that happens, get a set of long torx bits and then remove the handle and fully clean the whole latching mechanism. The strike plate/cylinder was very loose so I thought that was it but from eyeballing it it sure looks like it's going in at exactly the right spot. I do know I need to adjust the top striker thing on the door but that shouldn't be affecting the latching, I think.

The transit has similar electric contacts on the sliding door. I dread the day when they start to act up. After 2.5 years of use, I can feel the sliding door is not as smooth as it was when new. It is not bad but not butter smooth, like it was.
Yeah, I think there's the passenger version where the sliding door is also electric on these but I have the ultra-rare (seriously, try finding another...) T1N 158" 3500 crew so it's got some interesting combinations going on. Like all electrics on everything except the sliding door for some reason. When I take off the sliding door panel trim to sound deaden and insulate it I'm going to give it all a good cleaning and see if maybe I can't easily add the keyless entry to it too. I don't mind not having it but it'd be nice if it's easy and, if you've been reading this thread, you know I'm a fucking sucker for project creep. :baldy

Anyway, I don't know if you've used it before but I realy like deoxit for cleaning contacts. The smoothness you're on your own but after 2.5 years of use I think we both know it's some kind of bushingpain in the ass to fix.

The smoothness you're on your own but after 2.5 years of use I think we both know it's some kind of bushingpain in the ass to fix.

Yeah, I looked the door over and there are a lot of rollers/bushings, there is some grease spread around in places, I scooped up some of the excess and put it in places that looked like rubbing was happening.

Transit sliding doors are also finely tuned at the factory to start producing the weirdest unidentified rattles and squeaks after a certain amount of use.

Next up we moved inside. I managed to jam all my tools into those (plus one or two more blown plastic cases, not pictured).
Vdiuxs3.jpg

And now the question is… shit.
O0j87Hi.jpg

What is the smallest, most efficient way that I can put all these back in the van?

I had used the big dewalt bin for power tools, medium for random junk, small for random junk and toolbox for random junk.

My initial plan is as follows but please give me your better suggestions because I’m not sure it’s a great plan as it relies heavily on ziploc bags to consolidate.

1. Get rid of as many blow molded plastic boxes as I can. Anything that’s a socket goes on a rail (except the ktm toolkit as that was a gift).
2. Ditch the random flathead screwdrivers as I got the nice wera ones for Christmas.
3. All assorted bolts go in a little bucket.
4. Screwdrivers together in a plastic bag.
5. Anything that looks like pliers in another bag.
6. Hammers at the bottom.
7. Tire changing tools + lube in their own plastic bag.
8. Wiring stuff in its own bag.
9. Punches in a bag.
10. Wrenches in a bag.
11. Grinding wheels in a bag.
12. Broken bolt removal stuff in a bag.
13. Get rid of anything I haven’t used in the past two years.
14. Toss it all back in and see how it fits.

Wow. I’ve been using mil surplus tool bags and rolls forever. Because I’ve always owned a sewing machine I’ve made scores of tool rolls, all sizes, even tiny tank bag size for the wiha and snap-on jewelry.
Interesting. Tool rolls are an excellent idea. I ordered this tool box https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GSL6I8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A2TI6AF8RDIH6T&psc=1 that came highly recommended and I've been putting things in plastic bags for now but using tool rolls for a bunch of them would work really well. When it comes I'm going to try to put everything I use regularly into that and then anything I use only occasionally somewhere... else? I love the dewalt toughsystem boxes but they're big and I'm thinking just a couple of bags for the power tools, a tool box and then maybe one more box for anything miscellaneous ought to do it instead.

Anyway, in FAR MORE IMPORTANT NEWS

Thinking about the boot heater, step one is to get the garage area all put together but after that, I had been thinking about using a defroster as it includes both heat and a fan and I can hook it up to vehicle 12v with a single line. But, what if instead I bought a diesel heater and had some kind of venting system that ran through the wall into the garage. That would do a couple of things. First I could oh...
oooh no
as I'm typing this I can feel the project creeeeeeep.

OK, fine, boot dryer is back on the back burner but don't think that when we get there you're not getting some rube goldberg bullshit with a chinese heater.

When you're planning on packing tools, never, ever, EVER use 100% of the capacity. When you get old and forgetful like me, you won't be able to solve the Tetris puzzle that lead you to getting all that shit in there.

Tool rolls are great. But I strongly suggest also investing in the real estate to using a 5 gallon bucket with tool skirt. Make sure that where it lives, it's got a strap.

It doubles as a seat you can use when you take your boots off, and when you've finally done putting shit back together and it starts to rain, you can just toss all your shit in the bucket so you can be delighted to realize that you not only forgot to put them back where the belong the next time you need them, but that they are also rusty because you didn't clean them either.

Tool rolls and pouches in tool bags, ditch the tool boxes. Wrenches in tool rolls, screwdrivers in pouches, those go in the tool bags organized however works for you. Power tools in tool bags etc. The tool bags are quieter when bouncing down rough roads and if you make mounts for straps you can cinch them down to keep tools from beating each other to death.

The big question is why do you want to keep all that stuff in the van?

Seems like everything in that van would be just the kind of stuff bad people would want to steal.

Tool rolls and pouches in tool bags, ditch the tool boxes. Wrenches in tool rolls, screwdrivers in pouches, those go in the tool bags organized however works for you. Power tools in tool bags etc. The tool bags are quieter when bouncing down rough roads and if you make mounts for straps you can cinch them down to keep tools from beating each other to death.

The big question is why do you want to keep all that stuff in the van?

Seems like everything in that van would be just the kind of stuff bad people would want to steal.
I live in an apartment in New York City.

Current plan is power tools in two bags, tire changing tools and hammers in the red tool box. Maybe sockets too, tbd.

Remainder of tools in a new medium toolbox.

Dewalt pack out stuff might survive to keep bike and van parts in but that’s TBD once the other toolbox comes and I put stuff in it and see how it fits in the van.

Today was supposed to be installing the vanrug but it’s snowing like crazy right now so…. Shit.

It was snowing unexpectedly today, but I got some help and started laying down the vanrug.
YKwPml7.jpg

It came 72” wide but the van is only 68” wide inside so we had to trim a 4” strip along the whole roll. No fingers were lost so I consider it a success.
EjEjHc3.jpg

And some trimming along the corners.
PDHt42T.jpg

We just did behind the wall today. No picture, but the bikes fit easily with that bit of roll still there which makes me think I can move the wall further back. Something to think about long term as that would let me put a bunk up front.
w6pslG4.jpg

Next up we moved inside. I managed to jam all my tools into those (plus one or two more blown plastic cases, not pictured).
Vdiuxs3.jpg

And now the question is… shit.
O0j87Hi.jpg

What is the smallest, most efficient way that I can put all these back in the van?

I had used the big dewalt bin for power tools, medium for random junk, small for random junk and toolbox for random junk.

My initial plan is as follows but please give me your better suggestions because I’m not sure it’s a great plan as it relies heavily on ziploc bags to consolidate.

1. Get rid of as many blow molded plastic boxes as I can. Anything that’s a socket goes on a rail (except the ktm toolkit as that was a gift).
2. Ditch the random flathead screwdrivers as I got the nice wera ones for Christmas.
3. All assorted bolts go in a little bucket.
4. Screwdrivers together in a plastic bag.
5. Anything that looks like pliers in another bag.
6. Hammers at the bottom.
7. Tire changing tools + lube in their own plastic bag.
8. Wiring stuff in its own bag.
9. Punches in a bag.
10. Wrenches in a bag.
11. Grinding wheels in a bag.
12. Broken bolt removal stuff in a bag.
13. Get rid of anything I haven’t used in the past two years.
14. Toss it all back in and see how it fits.
Nice! At a quick glance that Locktite looks like Old Spice deoderant!

Nice, all the updates right there!

Was wondering what you plan for wheels? Wheels really make a vehicle.
Good question! And one I’ve been thinking about for a while.

Initial plan was just wire wheel and spray black. But then I saw some chrome Winnebago wheels that would fit on fb marketplace and got thinking. I also discovered that 16” dually wheels from the 07+ sprinters will also fit.

So of course I’m leaning toward getting them powder coated some fun color. I will inevitably not do this because of effort but there are shops here that advertise as just drive up and get it done.

It also depends on what color I eventually go with for the van. I’m leaning toward keeping it white just because I can’t settle on anything else but who knows.

How tool storage space-reduction started:
Vdiuxs3.jpg

How it's going:
cDbUuK8.jpg

This... this is not better.

Actually, it's not as bad as it looks. All the tools are in the red box and the smaller grey toolbox and then powertools are all in the two bags. So this is actually a significant reduction. There are still a few things floating around in those dewalt boxes like the angle grinder discs and wire wheels. I think those will probably end up either in the grey toolbox or, more likely in another small box or bag. But overall, it's an absolutely huge reduction in space taken up - basically replacing the three dewalt boxes with one smaller box and two small bags.

Red tool box: big wrenches and tire changing tools in the bottom. Big impact sockets in the top.

Grey tool box: motorcycle bolts in one white case on the top, fuses in the other. Little sockets, couple small pliers and a knife on the top layer. Zip ties, more pliers and other commonly used items on the second layer. Electric and other random stuff on the bottom. Basically the idea is I can open it up and just use the top of the grey tool box for the majority of stuff when I'm working on the bikes or bust out the power tools and the top of the red toolbox for the van.

I thought the big black and yellow tub was going to be a lot smaller and was going to test it out as a parts bucket but it's giant and I think unfortunately it's not going to make the cut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh