What's new

Tell us about your Ebike

This is exactly what I saw for years. I came close to writing it, but it was the original impetus for ebikes, and I'm sure it remains one of their stronger selling points. Again, ebikes should be registered, have license plates, and owners need to carry insurance to use them on the road. Of course we don't have anything like a capable police force going on in American towns and cities now, so nothing would be enforced anyhow.

No Dave. Define a bicycle and how much assist is allowed, if it is not a bicycle it is something else, either a moped or a motorcycle.

To me a bicycle is dominantly human powered and allowed some help to get over the tough parts and laws should be written (and enforced) with that in mind.

Last edited:
So are you all agreeing that E bikes fall under “ motor racing”

Ebike racing was originally under FIM... so once considered motor racing.

Now UCI wants to claim it as its own and has gone as far as threatening UCI members with fines and sanctions for participating in non UCI ebike racing. It is ironic when cycling is plagued by doping and mechanical doping claims and UCI is seen dragging its feet with enforcement and national police feel they need to step in.

BTW, UCI threatens our club riders for participating in events run by our unaffiliated club. It is only about monopolising the sport and extorting money.

So are you all agreeing that E bikes fall under “ motor racing”
Actually matters not to me. Hemingway’s categorization and exclusivity always comes to mind in cases of definitions and acceptance, or not. Since he was actually meaning sport must involve continuous close eye contact with The Reaper with marginal odds he might not. Motor racing, four or two wheels , then was often fatal.

All I know is I can get a twin motor 2wd grizzly and ride every bike path in the state legally. Compared to how little is available for motorcycles off road, it is very tempting to purchase an ebike.

All I know is I can get a twin motor 2wd grizzly and ride every bike path in the state legally. Compared to how little is available for motorcycles off road, it is very tempting to purchase an ebike.

You could do the same with a bicycle.

I was recently working out of town where I noticed a great many ebikes on the road. So I asked a local why they were so popular?

Turns out that when people have their license suspended or revoked, they get an ebike.
:lol3
Up until recently, around here, it was the under 50CC scooters. But I am seeing more high power ebikes doing 40mph on my 25 mph road.

I don't own an ebike but since the conversation dipped into regulations ... I can tell you it's pretty chaotic here in NYC with ebikes, escooters and plain old scooters for that matter, being driven at a fair speed with no helmets, license plates, presumably licenses and insurance. They ride in the bike lanes and even on the sidewalks. Teens ride 'em all over. Couples. Parents with kid(s). I don't want to sound like those frustrated cagers who get annoyed with us lane splitters, but things are pretty unruly at this moment ... it's the Wild West phase maybe. But it's been this way for a few years now.

“Wild West” is a pretty accurate description of what’s going on around my town also.
Almost all regulations are complaint driven. Which means everything is allowed until it becomes a problem big enough for someone to go to city council meetings etc.
By then the offending user group is well entrenched.
A couple days ago I watched a college kid ride an E unicycle against traffic on a sidewalk with both hands deep in his pockets, not a care in the world. I felt a little guilty when I caught myself wishing someone would step out in front of him

I don't own an ebike but since the conversation dipped into regulations ... I can tell you it's pretty chaotic here in NYC with ebikes, escooters and plain old scooters for that matter, being driven at a fair speed with no helmets, license plates, presumably licenses and insurance. They ride in the bike lanes and even on the sidewalks. Teens ride 'em all over. Couples. Parents with kid(s). I don't want to sound like those frustrated cagers who get annoyed with us lane splitters, but things are pretty unruly at this moment ... it's the Wild West phase maybe. But it's been this way for a few years now.

But that is exactly what you sound like! :D

Plates, licences, insurance won't change anything, except put more cars on the road. And if you removed all of the e devices then you'll all find something else to hate...

There needs to be some fundamental changes in society before it can work. That is a people problem.

Last edited:
No where did I say I hate e-bikes. The disregard for pedestrians and traffic norms is a problem.

No where did I say I hate e-bikes. The disregard for pedestrians and traffic norms is a problem.

You have used the same argument "no helmets, license plates, presumably licenses and insurance" as every hater and bigot out there.

Bur you miss the point...

Last edited:
talked to the couple that had these ebikes

they have several modes, i guess local law says 20mph on the bike trails. Which is mode "2"

he said these will do 30mph plus if set to "3" or "4"

husbands bike had a shock

1665925852100.png

wifes bike was a hardtail

1665925911546.png

so far they liked the bikes, but said the walkers, joggers, do not like ebikes on the nice trail systems here. Their horn is terrible loud

my wifes walks 5 miles a day on the same trails, and IHE ebikes are fine and most people are polite

Last edited:

You have used the same argument "no helmets, license plates, presumably licenses and insurance" as every hater and bigot out there.

Bur you miss the point...
My account is, mostly, factual and based on observation. You appear to know all about transportation in NYC, when did you live here?
I am not against e-vehicles, per se, just about the current state of things here at my home.

You are the first unpleasant person I've interacted with in this forum. In fact this is the first unpleasant exchange I've had in either forum in many years. It's unfortunate and unnecessary.

Reactions: MVI
Relax, there is no malice in my comments. You're the one who made it personal.

MVI taking sides? Great moderating. :wave

Last edited:
Nope. Not taking sides.

:lurk

Last edited:
talked to the couple that had these ebikes

they have several modes, i guess local law says 20mph on the bike trails. Which is mode "2"

he said these will do 30mph plus if set to "3" or "4"

husbands bike had a shock

1665925852100.png

wifes bike was a hardtail

1665925911546.png

so far they liked the bikes, but said the walkers, joggers, do not like ebikes on the nice trail systems here. Their horn is terrible loud

my wifes walks 5 miles a day on the same trails, and IHE ebikes are fine and most people are polite

Covered before... Only by the loosest definitions could those ever be considered bicycles.

Top Bottom Back Refresh