What's new

The DR650 Thread

The damper rod bolt can be removed without the holding tool if you do so with the fork assembled. Spring pressure is usually enough to keep the damper rod from spinning in the fork.
Often yes, but not always. Plus the tool is often necessary on reassembly to achieve proper torque. The tool I made is quite simple, though it's been awhile since I made it so take this info with with a grain of salt, but the info is available if one searches for it. I took a nut with, if I remember right with a 27 mm outside, then welded an old 1/2" drive socket to it. You can then use a long 1/2" drive extension and breaker bar or ratchet to hold the damper rod. Works very well and doesn't cost much, and stores easily in the tool box.

ProCycle emailed. Still backordered on the Barnett clutch. Offered me a clutch from Newfren. Never heard of them. Rather stick with Barnett so I'm out of the DR for the time being. I'll keep looking around.

Often yes, but not always. Plus the tool is often necessary on reassembly to achieve proper torque. The tool I made is quite simple, though it's been awhile since I made it so take this info with with a grain of salt, but the info is available if one searches for it. I took a nut with, if I remember right with a 27 mm outside, then welded an old 1/2" drive socket to it. You can then use a long 1/2" drive extension and breaker bar or ratchet to hold the damper rod. Works very well and doesn't cost much, and stores easily in the tool box.

No one said there would be proper torquing.

Found it!!! And I'm almost embarrassed to say, but since the puddle was on the left, I only checked that fork seal. But since most of us know how gravity works, some more sleuthing uncovered that the right fork seal has let go. Time for a full fork rebuild with bushings and everything. Might be a good time to try out some of those race tech emulators too.
Maybe enquire into DDC valves by Cogent. I had Intiminators in mine before the DDCs. Much improvement. You can also play with the oil volume to a surprising effect if you have the will to put in the time experimenting.

Suggestions on where I could find a Newfren clutch kit?

F1969

Apparently they're popular in AU.

Wonder if they're available from an Australian distributor, and if so, what shipping would cost.

I'd sure give em a try at this point. Toss in some new springs and ride it. At the very least it's better than what you have currently.

I'd sure give em a try at this point. Toss in some new springs and ride it. At the very least it's better than what you have currently.
ya, but I also have two other bikes to ride. I don't need the bike right away. so even if it takes a little longer, that's fine. don't really want to throw $250 at something "for now".

I can understand that. I've had pretty good luck with moose stuff, but I haven't used their clutches. I'm guessing they're of a Chinese manufacturer so one set may be great and last forever, the next set may be questionable. Seems like quality control on that kind of stuff is iffy. Wish I could help ya more.

Just checked Dennis Kirk, they're showing some EBC clutches in stock. I've used those with success

gsgsertertw.png

This is just the fibers
That seems to be also for,

Suzuki
DR650SE • 1994-2007

not sure how they got those years? I think I need plates, springs, and fibers?

Top Bottom Back Refresh