What's new

The Official Aviation Threadfest

I would love to see the spruce goose in person one day.

I was fortunate to see it twice. The first time was over 20 years ago when they literally opened the doors to the new museum. Since that time several other buildings have been constructed, a space-rocket themed era, a theater, and a water park with an old Evergreen 747 intergraded as part of the water slide!

What I learned is: Initially the name Spruce Goose was coined by some politicians in a negative manner. They had issues with Howard Hughes' motives with the funding. Controversy over funding led Hughes to make an unannounced one and only flight after a third water taxi test run. He flew it to prove that it could fly, thus getting Congressional members off of his back which eventually subdued the fraud accusations against him.

The Spruce Goose is sort of like a precursor to a wooden Boeing 747 :lol3, it's huge! It is truly an amazing story of why, how and of those that built it.

Last edited:
4700' runway:dunno
1660586122415.png

Downwind take off:fpalm

Why? It looks windy enough to be a factor. I had winds swap ends of the runway on me yesterday. Did not enjoy.
Great question for the pilot. He didn't maintain proper departure either. Over flying homes on take off just get folks upset!

"Back in the day" I was walking across the Boise, ID ANG transient ramp, mesmerized by their RF-4's taking off. Suddenly I'm sprawled out on my back after walking into my parked Chinook's static front rotor blade. All I could think of was "that was stupid and did anyone see that?":lol3 I looked around, regained my composure and went back to Phantom watchin':photog

Did you see this one fly?

wonder what the batt life was, or range >?

1660741761965.png

I don't think anyone has seen that fly, except maybe a computer simulator. Pretty sure it was just a mock up.

There was a YouTube channel about Buffalo Air that was a bit drama-filled, but it Kept me entertained.
Those mechanics are some tough SOB’s!
The had a made for TV show that was on TV. Dramatized a bit. But lots of real work goes into keeping the Buffalo fleet flying and they do operate in real deal extreme weather conditions. The YK Hanger is just down the street from where I work. I get to hear them fly over regularly.

The had a made for TV show that was on TV. Dramatized a bit. But lots of real work goes into keeping the Buffalo fleet flying and they do operate in real deal extreme weather conditions. The YK Hanger is just down the street from where I work. I get to hear them fly over regularly.

Even without the dramatization, the fact that they still fly those old birds, and the conditions they fly them in, is really astounding.
If you have a chance, tell them they have an Internet fan.

Top Bottom Back Refresh