What's new

The Official Aviation Threadfest

It's hard to believe it's been nearly 40 years since I learned to fly in one of these:

P2140003.JPG

I'm coming up to 20 years since I got my student glider licence.

Before that I had hundreds of hours with my father. Now I do the same with #3.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe it's been nearly 40 years since I learned to fly in one of these:

P2140003.JPG

#1 daughter is moving quickly now. Faster than I expected and a lot changed while I wasn't paying attention during a recent trip.

Flying since she was about ten with my father, then with me,she logged hundreds of (unofficial) hours in different types of aircraft. Her upbringing and experience mirrors my own at that age.

She is 19 now and has her multi instrument rating currently flying a Baron G58 to build hours towards her PC-24. Yes, it is hers, she just can't fly it yet. Already 800 hours total with 300+ hours and about 100 (real) ILS approaches in her log book carting her friends around in a PC-12. Aerobatic was a rubber stamp and she was checked out in the Frankenstang's sister while I was away. She has been doing some showing off.

One other thing happened while I was away, but because only about 250 have been built I wanted to check to make sure no public information pointed to her (or me) I held back. She was followed home by a Piaggio Avanti. Less than 400 hours from a deceased estate.

I asked her why and she told me she loves the funky appearance. I can't argue with that.

Random pic from the internet for illustration purposes. This is not the actual aircraft.
shutterstock_1326516644-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the Horton 229's late arrival wouldn't have changed the outcome of the war regardless of numbers, but it was genius.

This weekend we have a fly-in at our club field. The first for the year. I'm supposed to be doing an aerobatic routine in Frankie and got myself organised for Wednesday rehearsals. B in another aircraft was there for the same. Too bad, just getting out at home was an adventure with low cloud in the valleys. At the club field it was borderline VFR minimums or slightly less all day and expected to be the same Thursday with students at the school grounded and sitting around all day. The smart ones used the time to bury their heads in training material.

Time to find some sunshine. I arrived with an empty seat and filled it with one of the students who hadn't flown with me before.

Two aircraft in a random cross country romp we found ourselves over water near Brest then north to the UK and bombing in on #1 daughter. Keep going! We were on the ground for less than an hour refuelling and making something resembling a plan before three aircraft were airborne and headed towards the Irish Sea and a low level around the west coast of Scotland and the Orkney Islands. Destination Shetland Islands. I have some dirt and a house there and the caretaker staff got two and a half hours notice of our arrival.

Low pass to clear a few sheep and I was first down to test the sod strip. More like sog strip. The normal condition is closely cut and rolled like a bowls green. This instead of paved strip that the locals and I don't want scarring the land. Tthe grass was too long and wet. We got down okay, but the groundsman had some work to do. Dinner at the local-ish pub. The locals know who I am, but don't really know me. Some are friendly, but on average they haven't accepted the strange little foreigner who talks funny and they are slightly territorial... They have nothing to worry about from me. I don't go there to up end their world.

Thursday morning #1 was in the air again before the sun was up for a 9am lecture. The rest of us lazed around until after lunch before the more direct 3.5 hour flight home.

Friday now, #1 is home for the weekend, I never did that rehearsal and there is a good chance tomorrow the weather won't be cooperating anyway.

Last edited:
Well, the Horton 229's late arrival wouldn't have changed the outcome of the war regardless of numbers, but it was genius.

This weekend we have a fly-in at our club field. The first for the year. I'm supposed to be doing an aerobatic routine in Frankie and got myself organised for Wednesday rehearsals. B in another aircraft was there for the same. Too bad, just getting out at home was an adventure with low cloud in the valleys. At the club field it was borderline VFR minimums or slightly less all day and expected to be the same Thursday with students at the school grounded and sitting around all day. The smart ones used the time to bury their heads in training material.

Time to find some sunshine. I arrived with an empty seat and filled it with one of the students who hadn't flown with me before.

Two aircraft in a random cross country romp we found ourselves over water near Brest then north to the UK and bombing in on #1 daughter. Keep going! We were on the ground for less than an hour refuelling and making something resembling a plan before three aircraft were airborne and headed towards the Irish Sea and a low level around the west coast of Scotland and the Orkney Islands. Destination Shetland Islands. I have some dirt and a house there. The caretaker staff got two and a half hours notice of our arrival.

Low pass to clear a few sheep and I was first down to test the sod strip. More like sog strip. The normal condition is closely cut and rolled like a bowls green. This instead of paved strip that the locals and I don't want scarring the land. Tthe grass was too long and wet. We got down okay, but the groundsman had some work to do. Dinner at the local-ish pub. The locals know who I am, but don't really know me. Some are friendly, but on average they haven't accepted the strange little foreigner who talks funny and they are a little territorial... They have nothing to worry about from me. I don't go there to up end their world.

Thursday morning #1 was in the air again before the sun was up for a 9am lecture. The rest of us lazed around until after lunch before the more direct 3.5 hour flight home.

Friday now, #1 is home for the weekend, I never did that rehearsal and there is a good chance the weather won't be cooperating tomorrow anyway.
Did you spot matty? He’s been MIA all week.

Top Bottom Back Refresh