What's new

The Official Aviation Threadfest

1686417971261.png

Wright Model R Baby Grand

Float plane having a look at the boats that are heading out for the tuna fishing tournament last week.

368257038_10168181515175012_4445994780082558593_n.jpg

Reactions: MVI
Martin Mars

365651028_10160598157860490_9064593991843663296_n.jpg

That would be awesome outfitted as an RV inside. A houseboat with wings.

I don't have a lot of lakes nearby that allow float planes but I've been casually looking for another plane since I have an extra hangar. Something with tandem seating on amphib floats is on my radar. A friend of mine had a Scout on amphib floats and it was a hoot.

That would be awesome outfitted as an RV inside. A houseboat with wings.

I don't have a lot of lakes nearby that allow float planes but I've been casually looking for another plane since I have an extra hangar. Something with tandem seating on amphib floats is on my radar. A friend of mine had a Scout on amphib floats and it was a hoot.
Are you in the USA? Here in Canada I think a float plane can land where ever it wants. That may change in the future though.

A Martin Mars would be an expensive RV. When I first got into aviation I worked on the Grumman Goose. I thought that would make a nice flying RV. A 50 gallon an hour fuel burn would get expensive fast though.

Are you in the USA? Here in Canada I think a float plane can land where ever it wants. That may change in the future though.
Yes, I'm in the US. Here local governments can restrict float planes from landing in lakes. For example, I live less than a mile from a large reservoir that allows recreational boating but the city prohibits float planes. I'm guessing it's because the houses surrounding the lake are owned by the very wealthy and they don't want planes flying low in the area. We also have a lot of lakes that have horsepower limits for boats (either no motors, electric only, or a 10 hp restriction) so no float planes on those either. I do have 3 lakes within 50 nm of my home base that have float plane bases. Since access can be restricted by local governments it can be hard to know where you can land and where you can't. There's a Seaplane Pilots Association that publishes a directory and phone app that tries to keep track of where you can land.

But I'm no expert on the subject. I got my seaplane rating many years ago on a lark and the only time I get to fly one is when I'm traveling and happen across a school that gives dual in one. Float planes are few and far between in my area because we don't have as many lakes as a lot of places.

Yes, I'm in the US. Here local governments can restrict float planes from landing in lakes. For example, I live less than a mile from a large reservoir that allows recreational boating but the city prohibits float planes. I'm guessing it's because the houses surrounding the lake are owned by the very wealthy and they don't want planes flying low in the area. We also have a lot of lakes that have horsepower limits for boats (either no motors, electric only, or a 10 hp restriction) so no float planes on those either. I do have 3 lakes within 50 nm of my home base that have float plane bases. Since access can be restricted by local governments it can be hard to know where you can land and where you can't. There's a Seaplane Pilots Association that publishes a directory and phone app that tries to keep track of where you can land.

But I'm no expert on the subject. I got my seaplane rating many years ago on a lark and the only time I get to fly one is when I'm traveling and happen across a school that gives dual in one. Float planes are few and far between in my area because we don't have as many lakes as a lot of places.
Ok sounds like it's quite different than here. Where I live there are tons of small lakes. I could probably drive to more than 20 lakes in 10 minutes. There are loads of them. A few of our lakes do have restrictions. Mostly ones designated as wilderness areas. As far as I know you can't go into there with anything that has a motor. I suspect local governments restricting flying may become a thing here. They tried to prevent flying over a water reservoir. Got told they had no jurisdiction to do that. A few people I know around here got their lakes designated as an aerodrome to prevent being restricted in the future.

Me after 15 minutes of watching YouTube aviation videos:
I should buy a plane.png

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh