What's new

The Official VTOL Threadfest / Helicoters & Tiltrotors

jdub, Glade to see you made it out of Anacostia alive.

I was down the river on the VA. side at Davison, The Army white toppers. 78-95
Acft 404 Brian, Davison AAF.jpg

jdub, Glade to see you made it out of Anacostia alive.

I was down the river on the VA. side at Davison, The Army white toppers. 78-95
Acft 404 Brian, Davison AAF.jpg

Time at Anacostia was very interesting and 'lively' duty, and I always wondered what type aircraft the Army kept at Belvoir. Looks like our tour dates in the area overlapped quite nicely.

End result of a dual engine failure while descending from 13,000 feet after crossing a mountain range at night in freezing rain circa 1979 in a foreign country. Although engine anti-ice was switched on and the advisory light confirmed it was working, it actually wasn't and unbeknownst to us crew members ice had formed on each engine inlet. We only find out when the ice broke up during descent into warmer temps, was ingested and FOD'd/flamed out each engine within 30 seconds of each other. Didn't know either that only one external aux tank had command jettisoned until we were on the ground, and fortunately the landing gear hadn't fully extended before we hit the ground hard (heavy internal load) after autorotation. The first ground impact ruptured the hydraulic pressure lines and shoved the gear back up into the wheel wells and then the airframe could slide to a stop on its belly in the muddy field. We flew it out of there after my first field engine change experience. We were very, very lucky with the outcome.

MX-26 2.jpg
MX-26 5.jpg
MX-26 1.jpg
Not a ride i'd want to be on. Marines didn't use EAPS, or was this before they started getting used?

Not a ride i'd want to be on. Marines didn't use EAPS, or was this before they started getting used?

EAPS barrels were indeed in use on fleet -53s at that time. Supposedly the reason they weren't on HMX-1 -53s was because the squadron CO at that time didn't like the looks of them, but it could have been because the usual operating environment of HMX -53s was pretty sterile compared to fleet birds. But guess what was already being installed on the other -53s when we arrived back at Quantico after that adventure.

EAPS barrels were indeed in use on fleet -53s at that time. Supposedly the reason they weren't on HMX-1 -53s was because the squadron CO at that time didn't like the looks of them, but it could have been because the usual operating environment of HMX -53s was pretty sterile compared to fleet birds. But guess what was already being installed on the other -53s when we arrived back at Quantico after that adventure.
I'm sure. First picture i've seen of a 53 without them.

Remember, Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.:lol3

Top Bottom Back Refresh