What's new

The Official VTOL Threadfest / Helicoters & Tiltrotors

Kiwi%2000241.jpg

2023's Great Kiwi 500 Fly-in
The Hughes/MD500 has been an iconic sight in New Zealand skies for decades from the time that American Mel Cain imported the very first one for venison recovery; an industry that would account for the majority of 500s imported into New Zealand. That first 500 started a love affair with this unique machine and since those days the 500, or 'Five-Hundy' as its commonly known, would become a stalwart of the Kiwi skies working in the ag' industry, tourism, utility and as private machines for their owners' use.

I'll toss this one in here, he said it can be shared due to the edit...just trust me he has a huge grin on his face!

A few months after his mom passed away, my son's squadron let him co-pilot a Cobra for an afternoon.
I spent an afternoon at his squadron watching the dance that all the maintenance folks do to keep birds in the air. Hectic is an understatement. I was on the ground side during my enlistment and it was laid back by comparison.

cobra1.jpg

Got to see plenty of them being test flown out of the plant in Amarillo. Got to see even more flying around the skies above Portales and Clovis, NM. Saw one make an emergency landing just south of Canyon, TX, right off I-27, in somebody's cotton field. I wonder how much Bell-Boeing paid off the land owner.

1684756409503.png

The Los Angeles and Orange County fire department (LACoFD) joined with partner agencies, Ventura County Fire Department, Orange County Fire Authority, Southern California Edison (SCE), to participate in a drill of the Quick Reaction Force helitankers. The drill demonstrated the day and night capabilities of the Quick Reaction Force helitankers at Helispot 69 Bravo, located in Topanga Canyon in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Top Bottom Back Refresh