What's new

Tool Time

Some of these are surprising.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 20.22.26.png

1506375696-tool-companies-share-of-global-market-infographic.jpeg

I remember buying a Compresion tester off the snap on van in 1979, it was well made i had it years used it a lot, and think it got stolen when we got a garage break in in the late 90s. i have missed it numerous times, and put off buying another, but other day i needed a gauge , nobody i knew had one i could borrow so i ended up borrowing one from a chap i did not know via a friend. i used it thanked the guy. But Knew i had to get one of my own.
Mentioned it to the wife, and next thing i knew she announces she has just ordered one from eBay.
Well i sounded appreciative, but serriously doubted the £11 delivered free price would net us anything that worthwile.
It landed this morning. and for £11 i am quite impressed ok its a cheap tacky china tool, but its fine in use and i am more than content to keep using it.
Time will decide if its as good as it seems to be.
Here £11 if you need one i think its worth a try.
s-l300.jpg
I inherited my Grandfather's Snap on compression tester. He owned a Sunoco station and made his living off repairing cars in the pre- fuel injection days. I relied on that same gauge for over a decade until one of the hoses burst. I also needed different hoses to fit metric bikes that Grandaddy's kit never had. Proper hoses were way too expensive so I figured I'd just pick up the cheap kit at Harbor Freight ( same one in your picture) and see if I could scavenge the hoses to use with my snap on gauge. Harbor Freight gauge reads spot on with the snap on so I just put Grandaddy's gauge away for safekeeping instead of butchering the hoses and rely on the cheapo now. It's a good tool.

Will it last several decades? I don't know, but I don't see why not.

Some of these are surprising.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 20.22.26.png

1506375696-tool-companies-share-of-global-market-infographic.jpeg
What I find confusing about this ( Stanley owning DeWalt) is I've found modern Stanley tools to generally be pretty junky while we've depended on DeWalt tools exclusively on the work truck with zero failures.

You'd think Stanley would protect their name and brand their good stuff with their own name.

Old school Stanley stuff is bulletproof.

If they've already got you sucked into buying the brand instead of the tool then, maybe, they're building up DeWalt and will, sometime in the future switch back to Stanley or do the same to DeWalt with yet another brand name.

Just guessin' but sounds about right.

Amazon just delivered the pliers

Last time I checked Im still in the USA, Thurs will be out at sea again

Last edited:
I experienced the failure of a Rhino ramp after I changed the oil in my wife's RAV4. The leading edge broke off as I was descending down the ramp.
1696186713876.png

I responded by swearing off cheap plastic ramps forever and bought a pair of old school steel truck ramps that are longer, stronger, higher and heavier. They make the Rhino ramps look like toys.
1696186895042.png

1696186938402.png

Those look like they spent a lot of time in the sun. I have had mine for may years with no issues other than the rubber feet to fall out until I glued them in. The metal ones would be too steep for my cars

You’re missing baling wire and gaffers tape!😁

I used the CO2 until I actually had a flat and not enough CO2. I carry a little 12v pump now with alligator clamps to my motorcycle battery.
Yeah, those are back-up, at best. I carry a stop-and-go compressor also.

I'm Lazy. I Installed an old blackhawk tools display for MET and SAE and stocked it for my shop

Where can hex drive sockets be bought. My tool kit has an 8mm socket but not a 10mm. The included t handle works great. I might be using the wrong terminology to search for a hex drive 10mm socket.

Top Bottom Back Refresh