What's new

Welding & Fabrication

Elevator / Cargo Lift for a garage

Hoist-detail_parts.JPG
Hoist-subassy.JPG
Hoist-Installed.JPG

Not sure about the kiddie rides.

I always thought it would be neat to have some sort of lift so I built this one for my garage. It was a PITA trying to get it to stay level and it still isn't perfect.

Attachments

• 20230909_061915.png
    20230909_061915.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Had a very important project that was time sensitive

young lad wanted to go on his first bird hunt Saturday

so the night before I knew I needed some decoys, and I needed stakes for the ground.

1696778652844.png

found some scrap 5/16 rod, added a point to one end

1696778694923.png

Magic Rosebud action occurs

1696778743542.png

Coat of Hammerite Paint

1696778788569.png

The Result was Priceless

1696778914855.png

This is the kickstand assembly off my '06 300 EXC. The leg is aluminum, but I'm not sure what the bracket is. I want to build up the kickstand stop area but I'm not sure how to identify what this bracket is made of and if it's weldable.

The grainy surface makes me think it's cast steel, but is it possible it's a forging? Would forged steel have a grainy surface like this?

Sintered metal crossed my mind, but I feel like that would be too brittle to have been used in this situation. I don't want to destroy it, obviously, but I don't kind doing a spark or drill test. I just need to know what I'm looking for before I dig in.

Help. I'm lost !
IMG_20231008_202853828.jpg

IMG_20231008_202902121.jpg

IMG-20231008-WA0014.jpeg

Drill the stop pad, tap it and install a grub Allen screw. Use loctite to get it to the exact height, adjustable, that you want.

The stop pad on the frame bracket is too thin to add a stop screw. M3 would probably be the max I could get in there.

Can't get a stop screw on the kickstand because of where the kickstand pivot, return spring screw and stop pad all interact.

This is the kickstand assembly off my '06 300 EXC. The leg is aluminum, but I'm not sure what the bracket is. I want to build up the kickstand stop area but I'm not sure how to identify what this bracket is made of and if it's weldable.

The grainy surface makes me think it's cast steel, but is it possible it's a forging? Would forged steel have a grainy surface like this?

Sintered metal crossed my mind, but I feel like that would be too brittle to have been used in this situation. I don't want to destroy it, obviously, but I don't kind doing a spark or drill test. I just need to know what I'm looking for before I dig in.

Help. I'm lost !
IMG_20231008_202853828.jpg

IMG_20231008_202902121.jpg

IMG-20231008-WA0014.jpeg
Could be cast Zinc. I've removed many med gas alarm panels with cast zinc fronts. Heavy like steel and strong. The scrap yard I took them to did a dye test to identify.

The top picture I posted, on the right side of the bracket, there is I rusty spot. I'm pretty confident it's steel, but I still don't know what to do with it 😁

It be really nice if KTM didn't suck at making kickstands.

Steel frame on a KTM right? I bet is is cast steel. I'd attempt to use a nickel wire and try it.

or just JB weld a washer on the surface :lurk

Anything I should know about cast steel? Preheat, post heat? Or just let her rip.

I clean it well with a flap wheel, heat with a rosebud quickly, and use nickel wire

1697032998606.png

I use this for castings, as you can stick Cast Iron to Steel or Cast Steel

1697033189112.png

I clean it well with a flap wheel, heat with a rosebud quickly, and use nickel wire

1697032998606.png

1697033189112.png
Sound advice. And last but not least thank God that it’s not cast aluminum.

My nightmares about welding cast aluminum have become less frequent over the years but they’re still there. :lol2

I haven't had any issues with cast aluminum, so long as I can get it clean. The only aluminum castings that were so dirty that I couldn't do anything with them were some Suzuki parts for a buddy. They just would not weld clean after several attempts, bakeouts, etc.

1697032998606.png

1697033189112.png
Maybe I need to grab a few nickel Tig rods to keep on hand then. Probably don't need an $80 (😳) spool of wire laying around collecting dust.

Thanks man

I haven't had any issues with cast aluminum, so long as I can get it clean. The only aluminum castings that were so dirty that I couldn't do anything with them were some Suzuki parts for a buddy. They just would not weld clean after several attempts, bakeouts, etc.
I’m far from a seasoned weldor. The few times I needed to weld cast aluminum the parts were oily, porous and frustratingly difficult to keep from becoming contaminated.

Top Bottom Back Refresh