What's new

What did you do in your garage today?

Tried to kill myself with the chain oiler today. Apparently I wasn't careful putting luggage straps away and I accidentally set it WFO.

IMG_20240428_121738625.jpg

Who said the thing about life is hard when you're stupid? Chain is fooking spotless though!

Well documented as 2 main causes of this. And the big one is the rider..not the bike. Other is no free play in the linkage. About as mystifying as a non venting gas cap. Motcheeze hammers the no free play on the hawk 250 bikes. The other is riders foot resting on the brake pedal closing the port on the master...extra free play might help. Of course a shop test rider can not replicate the rider fault scenario. And warranty claims go in circles. And shops have almost completely rebuilt bikes over the fuel cap....

Well documented as 2 main causes of this. And the big one is the rider..not the bike. Other is no free play in the linkage. About as mystifying as a non venting gas cap. Motcheeze hammers the no free play on the hawk 250 bikes. The other is riders foot resting on the brake pedal closing the port on the master...extra free play might help. Of course a shop test rider can not replicate the rider fault scenario. And warranty claims go in circles. And shops have almost completely rebuilt bikes over the fuel cap....
His tire was dangerously low as well.

New ones were installed right after. It was little bit of a tight squeeze but there is enough room for free rotation of the rotor and wheel. I don't hear, see, or feel any grinding of the rotor by the newly installed pads. My newly ordered front brake pads should arrive at a nearby shop some time tomorrow. I'll do the install in their parking lot.

ABS does not fix friction coefficient. New to the scene might want to just use sand paper over power tools. Dam high traffic roads have too much residual oil that rain water contaminates the surface...dam I love drum brakes

Two mirrored surfaces will hyproplane on gas expulsion. Need some surfacing...get the sand paper out if you want anything beyond a light switch for brake control. If you can not easily push the pistons in with your thumbs...any new part will glaze...ha faster than normal...caliper is done. This shit locks up wheels even with abs because the friction rides on gas till over powered....light switch control...and terrible feel in racing environments

It's not my first time changing brake pads. I did it on all the cars I've owned since I was in high school. Did the same with the CBR600F4i I owned until I sold it. I suppose I was a little surprised by how clapped the old ones were and how much wiggle room there was compared to fresh ones. If something goes wrong, chances are I'll smell it before it gets red hot and things become catastrophically bad. I also took the opportunity to take apart some other stuff. Turns out the bike may not have been as well cared for by the previous owner as I thought. There were waaaaaay too many overtightened nuts, bolts, screws, and some minor wiring issues. I took care of those. Torqued everything to specification.

Selling the KTM, it's been sitting for almost 2 years. Wouldn't start, check fuel pump, nothing. Look in tank.

20240503_155740.jpg

Not sure what the blue shit is. Drain fuel, pull pump. Hose it down in carb cleaner and get it freed up. Reinstall and nothing. Check the fuse, it's blown too. Replace, add a tank of fresh fuel and it's back running. The check engine light is going on and off, not sure what's up with that. I put it on the battery charger cause it was kinda weak.

All washed and ready to GTFO.
20240503_145928.jpg

I hope the low battery was the cause of the check engine light. GLWS

Did a 24K service instruction with a new friend on Saturday. This included all fluids, valves, throttle body sync and servo-ABS service.
1000008510.jpg

His ABS wasn't cycling, so I had to get out the GS911 and reset it. Everything then worked fine. 5 hours of instruction.

Did a 24K service instruction with a new friend on Saturday. This included all fluids, valves, throttle body sync and servo-ABS service.
1000008510.jpg

His ABS wasn't cycling, so I had to get out the GS911 and reset it. Everything then worked fine. 5 hours of instruction.
Wish you were closer to Dallas, Texas. I would pay you enough for working with me like this to definitely help support more time Portugal! Just from what I see in these forums, you have got to be a good man to work on a BMW with.

Wish you were closer to Dallas, Texas. I would pay you enough for working with me like this to definitely help support more time Portugal! Just from what I see in these forums, you have got to be a good man to work on a BMW with.
I've had guys ride over 1000 miles to one of my tech days. BTW, I don't charge for this. It is fun for me.

Top Bottom Back Refresh