What's new

What did you do to your BMW GS/GSA Today?

Hit 12,000 miles today after a nice ride and started on the 12,000 mile service with an oil and filter change.
I will replace the brake fluid, take a look at the air filter/replace if needed, and check the valve clearances.
The spark plugs will be checked when the valves are checked.
IMG_3229.jpeg
IMG_3231.jpeg
IMG_3232.jpeg

I completed the major service today……replaced the brake fluid, replaced the air filter (the original was pretty clean), and checked the valve clearances………all were in spec. The Givi crash bars had to be removed to access the valve covers. The spark plugs looked good and were not replaced. The service minder was reset with Motoscan and my OBDLink LX scanner.

The bike was washed and is ready for the ride to the Barber Vintage festival in early October.

My friend's 2019 R1200GSA with a new shaft, 500 miles ago. We dropped the FD to inspect it and change the FD oil. As you can see the duckbill added in was done half assed, as was the driveshaft installation. No lube at all, no sealant on the boot.
D9qSvM.jpg
BumSzF.jpg
zWcRaB.jpg
JLIYwn.jpg
z231QP.jpg

My friend's 2019 R1200GSA with a new shaft, 500 miles ago. We dropped the FD to inspect it and change the FD oil. As you can see the duckbill added in was done half assed, as was the driveshaft installation. No lube at all, no sealant on the boot.
D9qSvM.jpg
BumSzF.jpg
zWcRaB.jpg
JLIYwn.jpg
z231QP.jpg
I sure hope that wasn't the dealership south of you.

Mike

^ that’s just wrong on many fronts. It was lack of lubricants that precipitated this recall iirc…. My dealer did lube the splines specially after the mechanic thanked me for greasing the crap out the old ones making replacing them so much easier. Our two bikes were done in under an hour..
Anyway, was at the dealer today and had them do the annual brake fluid change on both our bikes. My brother and I can do it ourselves but the bikes get hooked up on the mothership’s computer just in case of a recall etc…

Would it be a good idea to replace my cam chain tensioners now that I've rolled past 100k miles? I have not noticed any weird noises at startup or anything, just wondering.

If anything I’d look at the chain guides first and see if they are worn. I have no idea what their lifespan is .. :dunno

Looks like my 6 year old battery has given up the ghost. Tried to go for a ride this morning and as soon as I hit the starter button, everything died. Put a jumper pack on it and it fired right up. Took the jumper pack off and it died again. I've been riding the bike several times a weeks with no battery/electrical issues until now.

I hooked up my GS911 and got 4 or 5 fault codes, mostly about voltage (makes sense).

I've got it on a battery tender just in case I left something plugged in but, I think it's time for a new battery.

Amazon has the same YUASA (model YTX14H-BS) that I purchased in August, 2017 for $92. Any other suggestions?

I went with Antigravity lithium after 3 batteries in 4 years.. So far a year in it has been great but it is $$$ YMMV

Top Bottom Back Refresh