What's new

What is sadly missing from modern entry level motorcycles?

What exactly is the "abomination" in question? What would be involved with making the upgrade if the pay-to-play model wasn't used?
The "abomination in question" is selling bikes with equipment (to be clear, that means you are paying for the equipment (in the case of Zero, heated grips (and more))) but keeping it disabled unless you pay even more.

Personally, if I had that bike, I would wire a 10 Euro controller to the original heated grips, and give Zero the finger. But they would probably void the warranty, thereby give me the finger back. :D

Yeah, that approach smacks of the discount airline strategy, where some wanted to install pay toilets on the plane. It didn't get very far...you either pay for the option and have a perpetual license, or you don't, and the bike isn't equipped with the HW.

Equipment to add:
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring System. TPMS. Some bikes have it. I put one on all my bikes. It's my nr. 1 add on. Mostly because it's cheap and easy. :D I would rather give up the engine temperature meter than the TPMS.
  • Temperature gauge/meter. Since I've just mentioned it. It would be nice if all bikes came with temperature gauge/meter. The ECU monitors the temperature all the time so it can adjust the mixture. I.e. The brain of the bike knows the temperature. Why not display it?
What should be unnecessary:
  • Frequent software/firmware updates, including Over The Air (OTA) updates. Bikes should not need them.

I just thought of something missing from every bike I've looked at.

Proper helmet locks.

A helmet dangling against a greasy chain or perilously close to a hot exhaust doesn't count.

The only bike I've owned that had a usable helmet lock was a '76 CB750.

I would like an OEM fuse box with open slots. Maybe located near the handlebars. For phone, GPS, heated grips, heated pants/jacket.
Honda used to do these. Could retrofit one, I reckon. Enjoy the glass bulb fuses 😁

honda-cx500-relocating-the-fuse-box-and-replacing-handlebar-clamp-with-cb500-four-1972-fuze-fu...jpg

That is pretty slick. I typically install a fuzeblock but finding a good place to tuck that in can be a challenge.

2AA0A002-358C-44A1-AFB9-4610B8A98BB0.jpeg
Fuzeblocks is a good one. I've had few of them.
I'd like to get Addio. The product description on their website is a teenagers wet dream.

Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 12.23.15.png

The fuses are resettable, in software. You get alarm when fuse "blows". You can set the fuses to be 5 Amp, 10 Amp, etc. All from your phone.
Built in blink setting on outputs, with adjustable timing, set in milliseconds. Combined with Analog inputs it's great for heated clothing. Also handy for turn signals.
Multiple outputs can be set to run from same input.
Power usage is minimal. It can be left in over winter without worrying about discharging.

Unfortunately Addio has not replied to my request for availability and pricing. I don't get companies that don't like customers.

Fuzeblocks is a good one. I've had few of them.
I'd like to get Addio. The product description on their website is a teenagers wet dream.

Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 12.23.15.png

The fuses are resettable, in software. You get alarm when fuse "blows". You can set the fuses to be 5 Amp, 10 Amp, etc. All from your phone.
Built in blink setting on outputs, with adjustable timing, set in milliseconds. Combined with Analog inputs it's great for heated clothing. Also handy for turn signals.
Multiple outputs can be set to run from same input.
Power usage is minimal. It can be left in over winter without worrying about discharging.

Unfortunately Addio has not replied to my request for availability and pricing. I don't get companies that don't like customers.

There is another company that is doing something very similar, I am drawing a blank on their name, it might be Nutron or something similar. It is all controlled by the phone.

Totally agree. Have some extra unused slots in the fuse box would be a cheap, thoughtful gesture. This used to be common, especially in cars.

My Ford Transit has a bank of switches on the dashboard that can be used with accessories. There are pig tail wires behind the glovebox that I can tie the accessories into. I tied one into a 12v outlet for the fridge. Another is tied into a cell phone booster. I can change parameters on the switches, they can be powered all of the time, only when the key is on, or only when the motor is running.

There is another company that is doing something very similar, I am drawing a blank on their name, it might be Nutron or something similar. It is all controlled by the phone.
The Rowe electronics AMP link is very similar. They also make one called the PDM60 if bluetooth connectivity is not important to you.

That would be nice. The Honda NC750X has a trunk where you'd normally find the fuel tank. A friend of mine has one and he stores lots of stuff there. This is a feature that would be appreciated on more bikes
The only problem with the NC is the onboard tank is small at under 4 gallons. My wife has one and the low fuel light on hers will pop on well before 200 miles on the regular. When we would road trip we stopped for fuel a lot with that bike, a lot more than i would have riding solo on my Africa Twin AS...

I don't think huge fuel range is important for everyone. I live in a remote place and finding fuel every 20 miles or so is pretty easy. Stopping every 200 miles is fine for me. Hell, I can't stand to sit in a car that long.

If you NEED extra fuel, that sucks. Carrying fuel containers is a pain.

This thread should be retitled "what I want on my bike as an experienced rider". Entry level riders need cheap, light, reliable, and no extra distracting gizmos. And cheap & easy to repair when dropped. It's easy to forget after decades of riding that a new rider is nearly overwhelmed by two brakes and a clutch. Cruise just adds extra buttons to fumble with when trying to find the turn signals and I don't see much wisdom in a fuse box so they can keep a cell phone charged to allow the screen to remain on so they can read incoming texts.
Leave the complex niceties for experienced riders.

I don't think huge fuel range is important for everyone. I live in a remote place and finding fuel every 20 miles or so is pretty easy. Stopping every 200 miles is fine for me. Hell, I can't stand to sit in a car that long.

If you NEED extra fuel, that sucks. Carrying fuel containers is a pain.

None of the items mentioned so far is "important for everyone". As can be seen by how vehemently some argue against others enjoying features they don't think they need themselves, at the moment. :-)
Lot of new bikes have practical range under 200 miles. You don't want to run out of fuel on bikes with fuel pump, since it can damage the pump. All it takes for bad situation to develop is traveling in unfamiliar territory, or 2 fuel stations in a row that are closed. Since this is Adventure Bikes thread forum a wish for a large fuel tank would seem to be natural for many.

Last edited:
This thread should be retitled "what I want on my bike as an experienced rider". Entry level riders need cheap, light, reliable, and no extra distracting gizmos. And cheap & easy to repair when dropped. It's easy to forget after decades of riding that a new rider is nearly overwhelmed by two brakes and a clutch. Cruise just adds extra buttons to fumble with when trying to find the turn signals and I don't see much wisdom in a fuse box so they can keep a cell phone charged to allow the screen to remain on so they can read incoming texts.
Leave the complex niceties for experienced riders.

There is also a question of what "Entry level" means. To me it doesn't necessarily mean beginner. It could be for experienced rider entering different class of bikes and wishing to do so at low-ish cost. Race to Adventure bikes, etc.
"two brakes and a clutch" and also a gear shift, shift into correct gear.
Fuse box could be great for people traveling on Adventure Bikes to power extra lights, satnav or heat the grips in bad weather.
If you are a beginner it might be nice that the bike you bought had some amount of features. So you wouldn't be forced to replace it with unfamiliar bike as your experience grows and you wish to try more things.

[UWSL]Since this is Adventure Bikes thread a wish for a large fuel tank would seem to be natural for many.[/UWSL]
I believe it's an "entry bike" thread. For entry bike, I want something light as possible with a low cog. Hell, I've been riding a long time and I'm a big guy and anything over 400lbs pretty much turns me off. Big fan of what most consider entry or midsize bikes. I've had bikes that hold 5 gallons up high and I don't miss em. Most new riders haven't built up the endurance ( or desire) to blast out hundreds of miles in one sitting. Some days it might take me 6-8hrs to burn a tank of fuel. But I ride mountain backroads on the east coast. If I lived some place that I needed to traverse huge expanses at I might have a different perspective. As it is, I'll take refilling one more time vs having to straddle a fuel barge all the time.

You have to love coincidences like this. "Wunderlich introduces the Gonzzoo exhaust extra silencer for the BMW R1250GS". "to make your GS even quieter". :lol3

The few grams it adds to the bike are easily offset by the lower weight of your waller. :-)

Top Bottom Back Refresh