What's new

WR250R Mega Thread

Thoughts on wind screen for the WRR? Do they really do anything for you on the street? Do they get in the way on the trail? I hate riding into the wind, but I live in Kansas where the wind always blows so its unavoidable if you want to ride. I'm 6'3" and sit up higher on the bike that a lot of folks and don't know if a windscreen would do anything for me or not.

Windscreens and off road do not mix well. Look how the rally bikes put them way out front, so the rider can not contact them as easily. I have ridden some bikes with windscreens that were so close, I was worried it would catch me in the neck on a hard landing. They are usually the first thing to get damaged when the bike takes a tumble.

Whizzelberry wash
20220430_182730.jpg

If anyone is looking for a fuel injection programmer. I just posted mine here:

I will eventually have an FMF Q4 for sale after I figure out shipping costs.

Thoughts on wind screen for the WRR? Do they really do anything for you on the street? Do they get in the way on the trail? I hate riding into the wind, but I live in Kansas where the wind always blows so its unavoidable if you want to ride. I'm 6'3" and sit up higher on the bike that a lot of folks and don't know if a windscreen would do anything for me or not.

I'm quite happy with this one from ScreensForBikes. Took a bit of time to get it because of shipping from Australia, but well worth it.

It is fairly small and unobtrusive, but it takes the wind off your chest. I'm short though... I don't know how well it would work for a tall person.

20220321_111721.jpg

Spring weather is almost here y'all! Got my bike out the other day and yesterday I installed this baffle for the powercore I bought off a guy on facebook because FMF is perpetually out of stock. For surface street riding I'd definitely call it "acceptable" now (you won't piss off your neighbors when you putt out to work at 7 in the morning) but yeah, it's still loud. Not very stealthy in the woods and straight up annoying when holding 65-70 on the freeway because the bike is revving so high of course. I'm trying to be a good steward generally and actually make it into NETRA events so the stock exhaust is probably going back on for now. It sucks because with the right map in the PowerCommander it definitely rides better off the bottom, which makes 2nd gear usable in way more situations offroad, but it's just too damn loud for me. Maybe I'll put the FMF system back on when I finally get my ass in gear and buy a trailer to pull it to the good parts. Spending anywhere from 2-4hrs of accumulated highway riding to get to/from trails and events with this muffler would drive me bananas. Maybe I'll sell it, who knows

Attachments

• PXL_20230317_222613014~2.jpg
    PXL_20230317_222613014~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230401_210109305.jpg
    PXL_20230401_210109305.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Spring weather is almost here y'all! Got my bike out the other day and yesterday I installed this baffle for the powercore I bought off a guy on facebook because FMF is perpetually out of stock. For surface street riding I'd definitely call it "acceptable" now (you won't piss off your neighbors when you putt out to work at 7 in the morning) but yeah, it's still loud. Not very stealthy in the woods and straight up annoying when holding 65-70 on the freeway because the bike is revving so high of course. I'm trying to be a good steward generally and actually make it into NETRA events so the stock exhaust is probably going back on for now. It sucks because with the right map in the PowerCommander it definitely rides better off the bottom, which makes 2nd gear usable in way more situations offroad, but it's just too damn loud for me. Maybe I'll put the FMF system back on when I finally get my ass in gear and buy a trailer to pull it to the good parts. Spending anywhere from 2-4hrs of accumulated highway riding to get to/from trails and events with this muffler would drive me bananas. Maybe I'll sell it, who knows
You have learned what many have. The aftermarket pipes are way too loud on the WR at the revs it spins. I went back to stock and never looked back.

Who’s the heaviest rider on a WR250R? Can the motor really work for a guy pushing 250 pounds?

Also learned what many of us have. The WR is frankly a crappy motor without mods. The bottom is all but nonexistent.

I had the pleasure of comparison with my full mod bike against a bike with the same gears and stock setup. Same trails, same trip, same same same. My bike is no less than 20# heavier than stock and it just owns a an unmodified setup, from bottom to top.

If I had to live with a stock WR, I wouldn't. I'd have a different bike.

These bikes aren't really even loud. Fire up a modern MX 450 (stock pipe), or frankly any of the AM Harley stuff and tell me again about how the 94db from the Q4 is loud...

Who’s the heaviest rider on a WR250R? Can the motor really work for a guy pushing 250 pounds?
I am 245 with gear on. The little 250 hauls me around without complaining with a 47t rear sprocket unless there is a stiff head wind. Bike is still pretty much stock with no power mods. I am fine with the power :dunno

I'm 195 naked no complaints from me. If I was that heavy with gear I'd probably be leaning more towards the DRZ. I had one and I like riding the WR offroad more than I like the DRZ but the DRZ is by no means a bad bike and the engine is sweet after tossing the OEM jets. Money no object I'd have a 350 EXCF but I'm not there yet :D
Also learned what many of us have. The WR is frankly a crappy motor without mods. The bottom is all but nonexistent.

I had the pleasure of comparison with my full mod bike against a bike with the same gears and stock setup. Same trails, same trip, same same same. My bike is no less than 20# heavier than stock and it just owns a an unmodified setup, from bottom to top.

If I had to live with a stock WR, I wouldn't. I'd have a different bike.

These bikes aren't really even loud. Fire up a modern MX 450 (stock pipe), or frankly any of the AM Harley stuff and tell me again about how the 94db from the Q4 is loud...

You're right it could definitely use some help but right now the powercore is way too loud for me to be riding at 7000 to 8000rpm for an hour or more just to get to the woods. It wouldn't be a problem at all if it was just a dirt bike but if I had a way of getting one to the trails in the first place I wouldn't have a WR 😁 At the time I bought it being street legal wasn't negotiable and it's a bit of a pain to plate real dirt bikes here.

A little utility trailer will be in my life soon enough so maybe the WR won't even last that much longer in my garage. For what I could sell this thing for right now I could definitely find a good condition woods bike and go through the trouble of plating it so I can still do enduros and turkey runs.

Top Bottom Back Refresh