What's new

Yamaha T7 Mega Thread

In don't know the fuel consumption rate between a FZ 07 and a T7, but I regularly got ~52mpg wheelieing my FZ everywhere. It was hard on fuel (high 30's) when zipping down the interstate at 80+ mph. You can rag one pretty hard at low speeds and still get pretty decent fuel mileage.

The new frame for swingarm geometry surprised me. What's up with the swingarm angle?

It now has 28k on it. Other than the suspension not being up to the task about the only other fail was the high mount exhuast. The fuel gage did freak out a couple times, not sure what's up with that. The ABS delete dongle thing is still screwing up the speedo. I'm getting pretty much zero help on that.

I have put a lot of miles on dirt bikes. Racing and riding. I have never lost a seal before let alone 2. I'll have more info on what is clunking in the front end after I tear it down. But before I tear it down I need to wash about 20# of mosquitos off it.
Every Yamaha I've owned so far has had Kayaba forks and I'm not a fan. The damping is good as anything else once you tailor it to your needs, which I've just accepted as necessary on any bike, but fork seal stiction is a constant issue. I don't know if Kayaba dimensions out their specs to require a tighter fit or something, and I've had more leaks with USD Kayaba forks than anything else, so it seems like there's something weird going on with their setups. When you consistently have simultaneous stiction and leak issues it seems like it's time to go back to the drawing board.

To clarify. Dirt bike Kayabas have been sticky and leaky. Street Kayabas been sticky, but not leaky for me.

I have had fork seal leaks a lot more often with USD forks than with conventional forks.

Many swear by this and many don't and say these will ruin the finish on the the forks faster. I use those Neoprene seal saver wraps on all my USD forks. Forks seals last a lot longer for me since I started using them.

I have had fork seal leaks a lot more often with USD forks than with conventional forks.

Many swear by this and many don't and say these will ruin the finish on the the forks faster. I use those Neoprene seal saver wraps on all my USD forks. Forks seals last a lot longer for me since I started using them.
I had two leaks on my 1290, but once I started using the neoprene covers, I've never had a leak. I think I never have, anyway, which is a paranoia I have in the back of my mind. If you do get a leak with them on, is it observable? Might be a good reason to get a lighter colored set.

I had two leaks on my 1290, but once I started using the neoprene covers, I've never had a leak. I think I never have, anyway, which is a paranoia I have in the back of my mind. If you do get a leak with them on, is it observable? Might be a good reason to get a lighter colored set.
Yes it is observable, but I am guessing not until the seal has weaped/leaked long enough for the neoprene to get saturated.

Good morning to everyone !
Yesterday I made some rounds towards Delta of Nestos river at Greece
where there is a big drought..
It was sliding really hard..
Well, I also had the 1st, I would say jokingly, fall.
Everything is fine, the bike was not damaged so am i.
Here's the video

A video
in the middle of a fairytale forrest..
A natural piste at the top
from a mountain between the villages of Lefki and Elafochori in Kavala Greece..
The place is simply incredible
So here is the whole route

(use subtitles if you like for the video above)

Last edited:
Well, I found out why the left side fork seal died.

20240316_122501.jpg

I polished it up with a diamond hone and some scothbrite. It will continue to be an issue. Thinking it was there when I bought it and the kid knew about it. There is signs that I wasn't the first person in those forks. The oil was real thick looking, like 20W versus 5W. Rides much better now. Wish I had known this before my trip.

Ready for install.

20240316_131138.jpg

Test ride was successful, brakes actually work like they should with new pads.

20240316_141548.jpg

Still doesn't explain the right side puking out all its oil.

I finally got to see one up close! I’ve seen exactly one ever and it was on the road going the opposite direction. I like it!

IMG_7300.jpeg
IMG_7301.jpeg

Does is leak? If not, since it looks like it is near maximum compression, I would try polishing it with scotch bright in a cross hatch pattern before doing anything else.
Yeah this might be the saving grace of it. No leaks so far fortunately, and no clue how long it's been there for, but that's what I'll be doing. Been meaning to get a list of fork tools together also along with some extra seals, so I better get on that.

Top Bottom Back Refresh