What's new

Yamaha T7 Mega Thread

There is a nice low mile T7 for sale on the St. Louis CL…….no connection to the seller.
There's 7 for sale local to me. None of them with over 1.2k-1.4k miles. Makes me nervous that the people that own them don't seem to want to ride them.

There's 7 for sale local to me. None of them with over 1.2k-1.4k miles. Makes me nervous that the people that own them don't seem to want to ride them.
I rode my lightly accessorized 2021 T7 almost 22,000 miles in a little over two years. I think a lot of the fun for some owners is the prep of the bike for big adventures that may or may not take place. I loved the engine on the T7…..not so much the bike; especially the top heavy and awkward feel at low speed.

I loved the engine and handing of my 07. That thing was like riding a wasp through the mountain roads. Top heavy and awkward means I should find me a test ride then...

There's a nearly bone stock blue one for $10k and only has a discreet rear rack added. Exactly what I want just for a rider. I think.

You think they're top heavy now, put the Acerbis tank on and add another 12 pounds of gas.:lol2

If you know how to ride, you can work around this. If your a short rider that has mostly street experience, you're going to have a bad time.

Update on the phone mount.

20230703_205135.jpg

Does not vibrate, does not fall out of the mount. Stays pretty dry behind the screen. Hit some large pot holes going 80+ and it didn't even move. 3300 miles so far and going strong.

The high mount pipe is probably the stupidest thing I'm dealing with at the moment. Not compatible with gear bags.

You think they're top heavy now, put the Acerbis tank on and add another 12 pounds of gas.:lol2

If you know how to ride, you can work around this. If your a short rider that has mostly street experience, you're going to have a bad time.
I had the T7, a Super Tenere, and a Tracer 900 GT at the same time. The Tracer felt 50 lbs lighter than it was, the S10 felt like a normal adventure bike with a driveshaft and is agile at low speeds, and the T7 felt like it was 75 lbs heavier and was more cumbersome at at low speeds. I‘ve ridden for 52 years…..the T7 for me had a great engine but otherwise not my cup of tea. YMMV

But then, I am not as agile as I used to be.

45L of safari tank goodness.

360045654_1461469091059725_9182558767139417622_n.jpg

361115865_128608273576078_7202176501167827136_n.jpg

361125943_1321448908446590_2748657367142266280_n.jpg

The guys over at B&B offroad in Australia sent me these. They are making the skid plates for them. Still in the testing phase unfortunately, these would have been nice to have on my trip.

So, not to be left out the other fork puked yesterday.

20230719_172826.jpg

Going to fix the forks, clean it up real good, slap a new rear tire on it and sell it. It needs way to much suspension work to make it durable enough for me. I need another project like I need another hole in the head.

When you subtract the weight of the metal tank it's only about 6lb net weight added.

Going to fix the forks, clean it up real good, slap a new rear tire on it and sell it. It needs way to much suspension work to make it durable enough for me. I need another project like I need another hole in the head.

Wait...didn't you just start a new tank install? No go on that? Although, if you are not satisfied with the suspension now, those new tanks would not make it any better without some work.

20230719_172826.jpg

Confused? You fix the suspension once and its good for the life of the bike.

When you subtract the weight of the metal tank it's only about 6lb net weight added.

Wait...didn't you just start a new tank install? No go on that? Although, if you are not satisfied with the suspension now, those new tanks would not make it any better without some work.
Installed the tank, did a 9000 mile road trip to Prudhoe bay and back.

Confused? You fix the suspension once and its good for the life of the bike.
Replacing the forks, adding triple clamps with a damper, rear shock and linkage, several valving changes to dial it in......

I don't need another project.

Then there's the complete derail of billet short sump and new frame to lower the motor down a couple inches and improve swing arm geometry.

Or sell it and move on.

Replacing the forks, adding triple clamps with a damper, rear shock and linkage, several valving changes to dial it in......

I don't need another project.

Then there's the complete derail of billet short sump and new frame to lower the motor down a couple inches and improve swing arm geometry.

Or sell it and move on.
Got it, the bike doesn't work for you. What will you replace it with?

Got it, the bike doesn't work for you. What will you replace it with?
Not sure yet. May not even get replaced. Extended road trips aren't in the future plans right now so my EXC300TPI covers the trail needs. I need to finish some current projects up then I might rethink this.

Never been to Alaska but I have read all kinds of stories and ride reports about people having premature fork seal failures, and premature brake pad wearing out from the grit on the dirt roads up there.

Besides fork seal leaks what else failed on your recent 9K mile ride? How many miles are on your bike?

It now has 28k on it. Other than the suspension not being up to the task about the only other fail was the high mount exhuast. The fuel gage did freak out a couple times, not sure what's up with that. The ABS delete dongle thing is still screwing up the speedo. I'm getting pretty much zero help on that.

I have put a lot of miles on dirt bikes. Racing and riding. I have never lost a seal before let alone 2. I'll have more info on what is clunking in the front end after I tear it down. But before I tear it down I need to wash about 20# of mosquitos off it.

Suffice to say, but you put that thing through the ringer correct? I mean, this wasn't a gentle cruise up to AK? The roads really that bad for the forks to just get that hammered up?

I was going about 80%. I could have pushed much harder. I beat on my old KLR harder for many more years. It had completely redone suspension though. I'm not looking to do that agian.

My 58.5mpg average over 12 hours on the haul road should give you some idea at the speeds involved:lol2 The KLR would not have blinked at that pace. But it had different forks, triple clamps, shock, linkage....... It ran the Baja 1000 course's several times.

As stated before, 99% of people will not have these issues.

Top Bottom Back Refresh