What's new

Your origins?

Me on my first bike '94 I think.
i-RPsfV84-XL.jpg
I had one of those too. Bought it new as a non current. Worst bike I ever owned. Went through starters and stators every 5000 kms it seemed. My warranty ran out at 25,000 kms. I traded it on the above RZ. The Vision was down and out with about 24,500 kms, waiting on yet another stator, I was tired of not having a bike. Walked to sales and made a deal on the RZ. I think they felt sorry for me. I got what I paid for it on trade for the RZ.

Screenshot_20220227-061424_Instagram.jpg

1996, 10 years old, worked at the trap range for $7/hr to get the $600 to buy this sp125. Rode it a LOT.

The origin story I'm helping write...his big Christmas gift in 2020. A 2008 kdx50. He's 4 now and starting to ride some smooth double track with me.
Screenshot_20220227-061514_Instagram.jpg
VERY cool. I only have a daughter, now 29, and she has never had any interest in bikes. Wish I could help write an origin story like my father did for me.

My parents hated bikes and wouldn't let me near one. I picked up my 1st bike after I was out on my own and earning my own money. Even then they said I couldn't have a bike, and I just laughed and said "My money, my rules!"

You know what the coolest part is? The bike was my wife's idea.
Definitely, family harmony really helps make getting a kid started riding so much easier and enjoyable. Good for him, like me he'll have great memories of it forever. I was lucky like that myself, father had ridden Harleys before he and my mother married and about 15 years later decided to get back into it with small Hondas and he got me started. He wanted it to be a family thing and bought a CT70 for my mother to learn on and it went from there. Within a year or so she moved up to an SL100 and was climbing modest hills with us, so there was never any disagreement. And the participation together helps the young one learn good mechanical skills too, while enjoying keeping the bike up so he can ride it more.

I actually used my old camera, got the film developed and held on to the pics for all these years so I have at least one pic of every bike I have owned. This was my first bike, at 76 KZ400 that I bought used in 80:

1-L.jpg

Rather than post pics of all my old bikes here I'll just post a link to my ride report that has those old pics as well as pics of other old bikes: https://advbikes.com/threads/those-were-the-days-my-friend.592/

I do not have any photos right now, but I can tell the story. When I was 3 or 4 my dad converted an old riding mower into a go cart of sorts. Not very fast but fun to ride around the back yard on. He also had me clean the rust (wire brush) and paint it. That was a ton of fun.

The summer before I turned 5 Dad brought home a mini-bike. A Bronco, it was red, and beautiful. The second day I had it I pegged the throttle and proceeded to ride straight into the side of the house. I will never forget taking off the helmet and seeing a big rock stuck in the top of it. Good thing I had that helmet on. Mom freaked (of course) and had Dad take it away. I was upset, but to tell the truth more than a little scared and so it wasn't the end of the world. He took it back to his work (A Harley dealership) and stored it there.

It reappeared a year later. I crashed and had a ton of fun on that thing. Was really weird to me that I was the only one in Kindergarten with a mini-bike. All the family friends rode and had kids that rode. Seemed that the weird kids were the ones that didn't!
Bronco.jpg

This is not mine, but it looked just like it, except that mine was red, therefore faster, and it had a Harley sticker (the cool reflective kind) on the top of the gas tank. All the lights were stripped off as well.

This is obviously not motorcycle related but here's a pic from when I was about 15 and you can tell by the smirk on my face that I knew everything that was knowable at the time.:lol3
1658409323142.png

Top Bottom Back Refresh