What's new

You're Too Loud

My FZ 09 burbles and grumbles on decel. I love it. No cracks or backfires. It's not loud, but it's constant unless I'm coasting. So, engine braking around the mountains it's constantly burbling. Combined with the odd three cylinders not firing evenly you get a neat, kinda racey, roughness to the exhaust note vs the sterilized sewing machine purr it started with.

I chose an aftermarket exhaust that had a catalytic converter in it and when the ECU was flashed the air injection for emissions was not disabled. I like that the bike runs clean as possible. My gear doesn't stink of raw gas and I'm not crop dusting unnecessary emissions all over the place.

Since the cat and air injection are operating properly, that's what makes the burbles as it's doing what it's designed to do and clean up any unburnt emissions before it leaves the pipe. The bike did it anyway, just couldn't hear it when it was stock.

People that don't understand will complain about "race tunes" or "pop n bang" tunes. I could disable the emissions and have a smoother sounding exhaust note. Paid extra to keep the emissions system in check. Even when you're trying to do the right thing you're still gonna upset somebody.

Sounds good to me. Funny how open pipes on old bikes is not nearly as harsh as open megaphone exhaust on sportbikes and modern harleys.
I always figured that was related to the new stuff having higher compression ratios. Stronger explosions.

Then I put a cheap muffler on an old XL500S and it was ear splitting. It was so bad I was ashamed to leave the farm with it.

This treads a hoot, if it's not liberals telling everyone how to live, it's someone pretending be an engineer and convince anyone who failed math & science a pipe can't warn ahead because it points behind the bike.

The "high horse" could have something to do with there being no valid reason for the nonsense, which Certain Folks go out of their way to do, and which irritates the fuck out of 95% of the public, just so a bunch of overgrown infants can stroke their soon-to-be penises.

Let's try replacing "much more of an evolved, sophisticated human" with "much less of a selfish twat".

Listen princess, some of do in fact contend with animals (things that exist outside your urban HOA hellscape).

Your self righteous nonsense smacks of typical liberal dogma.

"Everybody accommodate me!"
"My rules are everyone's rules." "Because I can't have it here, you can't have it there."

Just like a typical pedaltard holding up a mile of traffic, because pedaltard is all important and stuff, and everyone can give up 5min of their day to accommodate pedaltard.

Fuk no, fuk them, and fuk anyone who expects to decide for me. I'm no less entitled to the safety of my exhaust than you are to your quiet HOA life. Get that through your programming.

Stay in your city with a noise ordinance, I'll continue doing everything I fuking can to avoid those hellscapes. [UWSL]Move to the EU, if you're not there already, they think like you do.[/UWSL]

Have a nice day.

Sounds like some folks have Strong Feeling about what they perceive to be Loud.
I cant hear people in person unless they are loud. I just nod ok without a clue of what was said . Loud is a giant air compressor powering 2 needle scalers on a piece of equipment for hrs. Even better if the equipment has something to resonate like a loader bucket. Then come home and the wife wonders why I am talking so loud. Of course she has to ask 3 times because I couldn't hear her anyways.

I cant hear people in person unless they are loud. I just nod ok without a clue of what was said . Loud is a giant air compressor powering 2 needle scalers on a piece of equipment for hrs. Even better if the equipment has something to resonate like a loader bucket. Then come home and the wife wonders why I am talking so loud. Of course she has to ask 3 times because I couldn't hear her anyways.
Too much of a dumbass to wear proper hearing protection? Oh well...

PS, a bit late to correct the damage now, sorry, but, there's some really clever electronic stuff now that blocks tons of noise but lets speech come through. Should be great for work site use. Dunno if the likes of OSHA have their eyes on it yet. Could be the shiznitz for reducing wind roar on motorcycle rides too.

This treads a hoot, if it's not liberals telling everyone how to live, it's someone pretending be an engineer and convince anyone who failed math & science a pipe can't warn ahead because it points behind the bike.

Listen princess, some of do in fact contend with animals (things that exist outside your urban HOA hellscape).

"My rules are everyone's rules." "Because I can't have it here, you can't have it there."

Just like a typical pedaltard holding up a mile of traffic, because pedaltard is all important and stuff, and everyone can give up 5min of their day to accommodate pedaltard.

Fuk no, fuk them, and fuk anyone who expects to decide for me. I'm no less entitled to the safety of my exhaust than you are to your quiet HOA life. Get that through your programming.

Stay in your city with a noise ordinance, I'll continue doing everything I fuking can to avoid those hellscapes. [UWSL]Move to the EU, if you're not there already, they think like you do.[/UWSL]

Have a nice day.
That's pretty wordy for "I'm a selfish prick." But it's adorable that you can be simultaneously outraged by other selfish pricks. :deal

Thank you for the info.

There's this amazing thing, by the way, and it's called... A HORN. You see, you use it when you actually need to make noise instead of the moment you turn the ignition key. You press a button and it makes this loud annoying sound, that stops when you let go of the button.

What's even crazier is that this is required, mandatory equipment, everywhere. Who knew... :lol2

Ya' know...

About the whole saving-lives thing...

I had a friend here named Mark.

Mark was a huge part of the motorcycle rights and safety movement here. Well-known 1%er.

Straight pipes. Because, ya' know, "loud pipes save lives"....

Brain bucket instead of a DOT lid. Because, ya' know, too much of a rebel to follow helmet laws but not enough of a rebel to actually just not fucking wear a helmet. :nah

Those straight pipes did not prevent a taxicab from turning left in front of him.

The brain bucket, it's hard to say for sure, but it might have actually made the head injury worse than if no lid at all.

I visited him at the hospital every day. It was not pretty. His head was badly caved-in.

His family pulled the plug after two weeks.

It's really easy to say shit like "well he shoulda' learned how to ride" but it's not that simple. And yet, it's also hard to wonder if he decided his stupidly loud pipes were all he needed and he found out the hard way that he needed to do more. Or, maybe, it was just his time. Just the same, the noise most certainly did not stop or dissuade the left-turner. I'll leave it up to the inevitable community second-guesswork to wonder about why and how.

I try not to use the word selfish too casually. Those of you who don't like the word, have you taken a poll of everyone at every home, business, school, etc. that you pass within, say, 1000' of on every route you ride? Did they tell you they liked the noise? Or did you decide it's OK because you haven't had a visit from Officer Barbrady yet? And, can you describe for me logically how or why you feel your life is genuinely threatened by those people in their homes, offices, schools, etc. I'd really like to know how that works. Thanks...

It has been estimated that 2/3rds of the motorcycles in the US have been equipped with aftermarket pipes.

Around 5,000 riders in the US die in motorcycle incidents every year.

Those were not all single-vehicle asshattery and youthful exuberance.

Those were not all stock bikes.

Various studies fail to reliably connect loud pipes to reduced collision rates. Some actually show connections between any performance modifications and increased collision rates. Interesting...

Stories about "I revved my motor and the cager moved" can universally be re-told as "I hit the horn button", but that certainly doesn't carry as dramatically at the bar. And of course we all know that when you have a hammer in your hand, every problem looks like a nail.

If you lack the manual dexterity to find a horn button, maybe riding these death machines isn't for you..?

Have a nice day.
Oh, I forgot the animals thing.

What animals? You mean like Bambi, who can hear the sound of a bolt a hundred yards away (or a pants zipper, LOL), needs your loud pipes to be persuaded that the handsome buck on the other side of the road (or that delicious looking chaparral) isn't all that important?

I'd like to see some science on that.

Hopefully better science than the deer whistle shit. Or gremlin bells. :augie

By the way, in your generalizations (and your rush to angrily but ignorantly call people liberal, as if that's a bad thing), you missed the people who did in fact become sick of the urban hellscape and who looked to bucolic rural settings for...

...wait for it...

...peace and quiet. :lol2

Only to find out that those beautiful settings were also attractive to the brub-brub-brub crowd, albeit at 50 MPH or so...

Too much of a dumbass to wear proper hearing protection? Oh well...

PS, a bit late to correct the damage now, sorry, but, there's some really clever electronic stuff now that blocks tons of noise but lets speech come through. Should be great for work site use. Dunno if the likes of OSHA have their eyes on it yet. Could be the shiznitz for reducing wind roar on motorcycle rides too.

That's pretty wordy for "I'm a selfish prick." But it's adorable that you can be simultaneously outraged by other selfish pricks. :deal

Thank you for the info.

There's this amazing thing, by the way, and it's called... A HORN. You see, you use it when you actually need to make noise instead of the moment you turn the ignition key. You press a button and it makes this loud annoying sound, that stops when you let go of the button.

What's even crazier is that this is required, mandatory equipment, everywhere. Who knew... :lol2

We had ear protection but needle scalers can be very loud. The main ear damage was from wakeboarding/wakeskating and ear drum ruptures from falls on water. Fluke events from years of exposure. The injury list is big when going big on water.

Sorry about your friend. I lost a friend to high winds blowing a shopping cart out in front of his indian scout. He barely survived but lost the ability to taste food. It took about 6 month to dwindle to nothing. I put other people's shopping carts away every time I go to the store...because thats all I can do about it. Unfortunately irresponsible driving and shopping lead to fluke events with our friends.

Just got home from 4 days at the local GC. I go for peace and quiet. Inside to sleep, the rest of the time I'm outside with a book. Feeding the birds (and squirrels) and watching the antics of the Raccoons and anything else that passes by. We couldn't get one of our preferred secluded spots, so we ended up in General Pop. The camper to the North spent his time watching sports on TV and tossing out F-bombs. I wish the weather had been bad so he'd at least have closed his windows. To the South, a Motor Mouth from Pittsburg. Here for her 50th HS reunion. Anything you want to know about her, I could probably tell you. Across the way... New Jersey. Same thing, she wasted no time telling her life story. I spent most of the time on the move so I could avoid these loudmouths.

I should'a stayed home. :-(
Camping has gone to absolute SHIT these past couple years. My wife wants to go, but its awful. People watching TV, swearing, dogs barking, everyone stacked on top of each other. We'd be in a tent surrounded by tri-axle fifth wheelers with generators going.

The DR650 has allowed me to explore areas to setup a tent away from it all. I'll explore backroads and woods that I'll eventually return with the family. I have about a dozen spots that I can take them that I know we won't be bothered.

Ya' know...

About the whole saving-lives thing...
There has been a single time that revving my motor has saved me. Going down the road on my street bike, van (plumber?) backing out of the driveway. Fumbled for the horn and just revved instead. He stopped dead in his tracks.

Something to live by? nah

Camping has gone to absolute SHIT these past couple years. My wife wants to go, but its awful. People watching TV, swearing, dogs barking, everyone stacked on top of each other. We'd be in a tent surrounded by tri-axle fifth wheelers with generators going.

The DR650 has allowed me to explore areas to setup a tent away from it all. I'll explore backroads and woods that I'll eventually return with the family. I have about a dozen spots that I can take them that I know we won't be bothered.
I often tell some of my friends and relatives bringing the amenities from home IS NOT camping. They don't seem to agree. Whatever. When I go camping, I bring an axe, a magnesium stick, a large caliber sidearm in case of apex predators, fishing pole with bait, plenty of water and a filter, and maybe a couple or more MREs in case real food is scarce and I strikeout on the hunt or fishing.

I often tell some of my friends and relatives bringing the amenities from home IS NOT camping. They don't seem to agree. Whatever. When I go camping, I bring an axe, a magnesium stick, a large caliber sidearm in case of apex predators, fishing pole with bait, plenty of water and a filter, and maybe a couple or more MREs in case real food is scarce and I strikeout on the hunt or fishing.
Pretty much the same. Though, I have been guilty of playing Sudoku on the phone in the hammock at night. ¬.¬

Kiddo makes it a little tougher. I'll take the r/c crawlers with us. meh

We had ear protection but needle scalers can be very loud. The main ear damage was from wakeboarding/wakeskating and ear drum ruptures from falls on water. Fluke events from years of exposure. The injury list is big when going big on water.

Sorry about your friend. I lost a friend to high winds blowing a shopping cart out in front of his indian scout. He barely survived but lost the ability to taste food. It took about 6 month to dwindle to nothing. I put other people's shopping carts away every time I go to the store...because thats all I can do about it. Unfortunately irresponsible driving and shopping lead to fluke events with our friends.
Ahh, I can see how the water stuff can do some damage. Ugh. Is there not protection for that sort of shit though?? Seriously? I mean the scalers and the wakeboarding. I've known folks in big construction to use both plugs and muffs. Likewise some of the gunz crowd. And are plugs useless in the case of falls on water? Seriously I'm asking - I have no clue.

Crazy shit does happen. And irresponsible behavior in general leads to much of it...

No, you didn't.

With your attitude, you don't make friends.
With the likes of some of you, clearly not.

No loss.

Oh, there's some irony in that story by the way...

What brought Mark and I together was a political battle against an ill-conceived law being introduced in NYC... to address the problem of loud bikes!

:rolleyes

There has been a single time that revving my motor has saved me. Going down the road on my street bike, van (plumber?) backing out of the driveway. Fumbled for the horn and just revved instead. He stopped dead in his tracks.

Something to live by? nah

Just curious if after that you considered doing some drills to get better acquainted with the bike's hand controls...

Just curious if after that you considered doing some drills to get better acquainted with the bike's hand controls...
Three bikes. Five as sometimes I take my dad's out for a spin. All with different controls. At that split second in time, it was the twisty thing that I found quicker. :lol2

I assumed we all agreed that killing someone over the use of a leaf blower was a bit much, and were going with Lawrence's solution as a worst case scenario. I see I was wrong.

I worked nights for years and was routinely awakened by all sorts of neighborly noises, some untimely and some unnecessary. I spoke with a few about it, but I never threatened anyone. That usually results in some form of escalation, and I just wanted to sleep.
I wear ear plugs to sleep every night. But I wouldn't consider killing my wife for snoring. :-)

Top Bottom Back Refresh