What's new

You're Too Loud

Hate, hate, hate hearing anybody's music in a campground. I don't even want to hear somebody's guitar (though we did hear a distant bagpipe once that was cool). I don't want to hear your TV. I don't want to hear your kids. I don't want to hear you arguing with your spouse. Or your barking dog. The quest for quiet is why we're there.

Yawp, camping is ruined for me. Overcrowded, generators running, TV's playing on the side of the camper, phones blaring music. I've got a decent list of secluded spots I've found while on the DR that I'll take the family. But I can't do major campgrounds anymore. Its awful. These past ten years or so has just been awful.

My comments on being loud are kind of tongue in cheek. There's a time and place. I'll take the main road to work on the Harley because there's no homes there. The back way in is crowded apartments and the sound just echoes that early in the morning. That sort of thing.

Yawp, camping is ruined for me. Overcrowded, generators running, TV's playing on the side of the camper, phones blaring music. I've got a decent list of secluded spots I've found while on the DR that I'll take the family. But I can't do major campgrounds anymore. Its awful. These past ten years or so has just been awful.

My comments on being loud are kind of tongue in cheek. There's a time and place. I'll take the main road to work on the Harley because there's no homes there. The back way in is crowded apartments and the sound just echoes that early in the morning. That sort of thing.
So it is being respectful not to rev bomb neighbors. I use to roll out of driveway at 2am with my sportsers engine off. Rolling down the street I waited to open lots and fired the engine. Then idled out of the neighborhood. The granddaughter could hear my xt225 before anyone. I was a mile away! The little xt was loud. I had a tunable washer in the tip. Like the old snuffers. So I could turn the washer late at night.

So it is being respectful not to rev bomb neighbors. I use to roll out of driveway at 2am with my sportsers engine off. Rolling down the street I waited to open lots and fired the engine. Then idled out of the neighborhood. The granddaughter could hear my xt225 before anyone. I was a mile away! The little xt was loud. I had a tunable washer in the tip. Like the old snuffers. So I could turn the washer late at night.
I'm not the best example for that scenario as I don't have neighbors. :D

There is a trailer-parkesque road about a half a mile down the main road from me, and there's a BUNCH of folks that are all into drag racing and whatnot. One of them has a blower, but I have no idea what its in. I don't venture into that "development" as its, uhm, off limits to outsiders. Lotta weirdos with no trespassing signs- I just ride on by. But they're always doing burnouts and rapping motors. I love it. Wife hates it, but I always go outside to listen. Like if a helicopter were to buzz overhead.

I'm not the best example for that scenario as I don't have neighbors. :D

There is a trailer-parkesque road about a half a mile down the main road from me, and there's a BUNCH of folks that are all into drag racing and whatnot. One of them has a blower, but I have no idea what its in. I don't venture into that "development" as its, uhm, off limits to outsiders. Lotta weirdos with no trespassing signs- I just ride on by. But they're always doing burnouts and rapping motors. I love it. Wife hates it, but I always go outside to listen. Like if a helicopter were to buzz overhead.
Well I now live in a loud small town. I blend in. I run outside for the fire truck and big tractors. The fire alarm is across the street. And I talk to half the volunteers. The response time is impressive. I got use to the alarm. Kinda ear piercing in the front yard. The same loud hunting truck tires are all the volunteers. I guess the same loud noise can be good or bad.

My old house..my neighbors loud pushmower put me to sleep on my day off. Thinking the neighbor is finally cutting the grass. And someone is working but not me. Very relaxing

This thread is interesting, gives a lot of insight to how different people are.

I live 3/4 mile from my nearest neighbor, 4 miles from a store, 30 miles to town so I don't have a noise problem. But, I like to ride loud motorcycles , my motorcycles are loud , nobody cares, cops don't ticket me for them.

I live right across the street from a general store that carries ammo and fresh meat. But the loudest stuff is not the town residents. But the ones visiting or passing through. The nearest stoplight is 12 miles away. Kinda comical. The hunting dogs barking at night bothered me at 1st. Now I wonder if a bear is around. And why I am the only one outside at night!

I live 3/4 mile from my nearest neighbor, 4 miles from a store, 30 miles to town so I don't have a noise problem. But, I like to ride loud motorcycles , my motorcycles are loud , nobody cares, cops don't ticket me for them.
Pretty much the same for me.

I have never been stopped for an open pipe bike. But I dont rev bomb. A 1% was so easy to spot in the cities up north. They rode a harley like I do. No lugging or over revs. Just on it with good shift points. Full face helmet was another give away.

For me this sounded good. But one night at my moms a local bar had a open megaphone style exhaust harley rider bouncing off the rev limiter for 20 mins at 2am. That isnt so cool.

Last edited:
I ordered a full Banks kit for my 2008 Diesel HD truck over a decade ago
  • air intake
  • computer
  • stainless exhaust
to my surprise the new exhaust was only the back half, new after the DPF.
basically You unhook the OEM muffler and toss that and all the pipe behind it out on the curb.
Then the new exhaust goes in , with all 3" (IIRC) pipe - no muffler.

I was skeptical as I dont like loud. But seriously I did not notice anything , i wish now had would have measured with a db meter.
The DPF is what keeps he noise down.

I ordered a full Banks kit for my 2008 Diesel HD truck over a decade ago
  • air intake
  • computer
  • stainless exhaust
to my surprise the new exhaust was only the back half, new after the DPF.
basically You unhook the OEM muffler and toss that and all the pipe behind it out on the curb.
Then the new exhaust goes in , with all 3" (IIRC) pipe - no muffler.

I was skeptical as I dont like loud. But seriously I did not notice anything , i wish now had would have measured with a db meter.
The DPF is what keeps he noise down.
My coworkers f350 was straight piped with a chip. Sounded about like a road tractor. Wasn't bad and he idled around. The turbo kept the noise down. The chip was also set below rolling coal levels.

I grew up in the middle of 100 acres. My parent's house is right in the middle, my wife and I put our house on the far back corner, as far from the main road as possible. I'm spoiled to peacefulness. I go in to town to work everyday and can't wait to get back out of the damn city.

Few years ago some Yankees bought 30 acres that backs up to our property. Built their house not far from ours. Really? All that land and you gonna plop that shit right on the edge near us?

I was here 30+ years ago. They're just gonna have deal with my dirt bike parties and the sawmill running.

Last edited:
Miscellaneous responses, applicable quotes omitted...

Lots of shit makes annoying and often unnecessary noise. This doesn't mean it's all OK.

There are some differences in how sound does or does not propagate and penetrate. So, for example, the lower-frequency sound emissions of a thumper may get through walls better (you know, thereby saving your life from someone in bed napping or reading a book) than that of a ring-ding twin.

There was in fact a day when I could say "hey that sounds like a GPZ750 with a Kerker", peer out the window of my mother's apartment and see how close I was. Then I got a job, grew up, got a life, etc. Likewise, I found the sounds of fighter jets and B1 bombers on afterburners exciting when visiting the midwest. But, I didn't have to live there!

Around NYC it was always a challenge to find a beach or park without salsa or whatever blaring on a big box radio. Ugh. Hey let's go commune with nature... {eyeroll} FFS...

"I like the noise." Fine! I like the smell of my shit but I'm guessing most folks might get bent if I insisted on randomly sharing that with them 24x7.

Capture.JPG

My old neighbors would light a 1/4 stick for fun. I was passed out after work from exhaustion on the back porch. Ba oooom! I was sure thinking loud enough for my thoughts to be heard... the neighbors scattered.

Top Bottom Back Refresh