What's new

Downsizing, how far will you go?

Meh, 3500- 6000 RPM is more realistic for my riding

It’s frustratingly jerky and awkward at low RPM. They are buttery smooth above 6000. I’m not skilled enough to keep them at the speeds required to maintain that momentum around here. Shredding 2-track and grasstrack would be another story.

I‘m mid 60s, been riding over 50 years, and have owned 85+ motorcycles. I just bought a new Super Tenere ES which is mainly used for long day rides and trips as it is comfortable for me, has cruise control, and doesn‘t get blown around much due to the 600 lb weight. It will probably be my last heavyweight bike as I intend to keep it into my early 70s.

My daily go to motorcycles are my Tracer 900 GT and Tenere 700. They both feel like flyweights compared to the Super Tenere, but are not as good for long distance travel. Both have outstanding engines that are easy to live with and the Tracer is super nimble and feels lighter than it is.

I am patiently waiting for Honda to bring out a new Transalp 750 DCT equipped motorcycle. I would probably sell the Tracer and Tenere 700 if that would occur. I also see possible ownership of an electric motorcycle if the prices ever come down and the range goes up as technology evolves.

Lighter motorcycle are definitely the way I am going as I age.

Totally agree with your "lighter as you age" conclusion...I'm following the same strategy.

My experience with "road hugging weight," however, is different. ALL my sport bikes and sport tourers got blown around significantly less than both my "aerodynamic as a brick" GSs. Side winds would hit those bikes really, really hard, especially the one with Micatech cases. My much lighter current F800GTs, even with the top box on, are affected much less.

Totally agree with your "lighter as you age" conclusion...I'm following the same strategy.

My experience with "road hugging weight," however, is different. ALL my sport bikes and sport tourers got blown around significantly less than both my "aerodynamic as a brick" GSs. Side winds would hit those bikes really, really hard, especially the one with Micatech cases. My much lighter current F800GTs, even with the top box on, are affected much less.
I only use my 45 liter Micatechs on a trip….they ARE bricks👎

My experience is that a bikes aerodynamics play a much bigger part in winds than weight does. I have owned a couple of 150cc scooters that weighed less than 300 pounds that were just fine in gusty winds. I have owned bigger heavier bikes that were much more affected by winds.

My experience is that a bikes aerodynamics play a much bigger part in winds than weight does. I have owned a couple of 150cc scooters that weighed less than 300 pounds that were just fine in gusty winds. I have owned bigger heavier bikes that were much more affected by winds.

My point exactly.

It’s frustratingly jerky and awkward at low RPM. They are buttery smooth above 6000. I’m not skilled enough to keep them at the speeds required to maintain that momentum around here. Shredding 2-track and grasstrack would be another story.
Insert Yinzer Moto clutch skills video here

Twist that throttle to the throttle stop and don’t let the motor dip below 6000rpm, that is how the manufacturer intends it to be ridden. There is something soul crushing about listening to some people ride bikes at 300rpm because they are scared to crack that throttle.
100% this ^^^ I ride a 125cc dirt bike because I want to let it scream on the pipe. Do that with a big bike in the woods you go way faster then I should be going.

The times I’ve given the 125 to a 300 2T rider they usually come back and say it has no power. But they don’t normally get it on the pipe. They are conditioned to ride in the lug zone.

Most riders start on a small bike and then move up to progressively bigger bikes. At some point many riders start to downsize. For some it's because they are getting older and can't handle a big, heavy bike any more. Some refuse to downsize and when they can no longer handle that big bike they get a trike or stop riding. Others downsize for various reasons other than getting old.

Many of you are still young and you may not have thought ahead to having to downsize. This discussion is for those who have started to downsize or at least thought about it.

In my case I started to downsize when I was still in my early 30s. In my late 20s I had a Yamaha FJ1100 and Venture 1200. Hey, bigger is better right? Then I replaced the FJ1100 with a Kawasaki EX500. I thought I would miss the power of the FJ but I wanted to try a smaller bike. It turned out that the EX500 was not only more fun to ride than the FJ, I was much faster on it. I have been downsizing since. I have become a believer in the "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" theory. Currently I have bikes ranging from 150 to 650cc. I ride the 150 the most.

So have you downsized? How far do you expect to go in the future.
I am not sure i relate to the downsize/ upsize thing. Ok i obviously started on a 50cc chopped down mopd as a kid we werre poor and no mini bikes much back in 1960s NE england. First true motorcycle was a 1971 500 daytona, my next bike was a 350 suzuki T350j i took in px for my daytona, then a Tiger 90 350 i took in px for the T350J , I kind of ran bught and sold more or less continual since those times, and i have had 1100cc jap fours and a few 1.0 litre bikes and more than a few 900s in fact i probably had more 760/ 900cc class bikes than over 900cc. and if i were to chose one class of bike as my most fun to own and ride i think the 350 class takes some beating.
certainly the 350s that stood out in my little history as outstanding imo, i lived my old tiger 90 and two morini 31/2s i had and a ducati desmo 350 not to miss out the rd350 lc vpvs and my IZH planeta sports which i still own to this day. for me the 350s have always delivered the goods so to speak.
I dont think i ever realy upsized as such, i had bigger bikes but i think my heart was always shall we say sub 600cc at least.
Who knows where ill end up in the ridding front, i hope i can keep going as is until i shuffle off this mortal coil. But still riding or not, my XT600e or the IZH planeta spot 350 pack wont be leaving me wile i still have breath in my lungs. .

Funny you mention a woods bike. In addition to a KLX for daily riding, CRF for desert fun, I'd like to try a YZ250FX for an afternoon in the woods.

Jury is still out on it, as some claim it is tame, others a freaking monster handful...

I've ridden both the YZ250FX and WR250F in the woods. The X was a bit lighter, both had been reprogrammed one map/step below full on MOTO .The WR was fully uncorked and had a slip on pipe...no lack of power on either bike, very solid mid range and strong from mid to top. Both bikes had great suspension out of the box. Both owners were top A class woods racers, they were running stock suspension sprung for weight. The WR owner my buddy Steve weighs 250 - 260 without gear.

I'm getting there. The Road King is a big, heavy bike. Somehow, it's gotten more awkward and unforgiving in recent years. I want to continue loving to ride it, but dealing with it in town and such is getting downright unpleasant.

Was out the other day on the little Moto Guzzi V50. I rode that bike better. It's easier to handle, and I can move it around much more easily. From backing it in the driveway to simply inching forward at a stop sign. I'm smoother on it than I am the Harley.
I sold my '09 Road King Classic last fall and bought a Honda XR650L. The RK was a great, comfortable bike for trips, but as you said, was getting burdensome around town. Now I'm thinking about getting rid of the '02 1150 GS and looking at something smaller than the XR650L.

I’ll probably be trading off my R1200GS this year. It’s just not a great bike for the solo backcountry riding that I enjoy. Great for daily commuting though. I keep cycling through a 501, 701, 390 adventure, 300 rally, or DR650.

I'm 69 and I have been on 2 wheels 40+ yrs..i started big with 5 different Yamaha XS1100s...2 FJ1200s..and 3 Honda ST1100s..My age isnt the isuue but arthritis and bad hips are...Sport touring bikes always have to be comfort farkled for me...smaller bikes fit better and are easier to manage their weight...I also owned a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S..It had the right weight and hp for me...but it got wrecked...My last bike which i sold paast Dec was my 3rd ST1100. I can no longer pull the clutch lever..due to my arthritis...and I no longer want to deal with an extremely top heavy machine...So I am looking at scooters...they look like alot of fun..but they have to have enough hp to get out of their own way...no 50cc likker sikkels...Would like a maxi scooter...not new but the Honda Silverwing is in my crosshairs...600cc and 500# but not top heavy... no clutch lever and CVT transmission..nothing to shift...just gas n go...:evil
2008 Silverwing 600.jpg

Last edited:
For me i just want down to one motorcycle. The one i kept, my TW200. Because its light and easy to handle and can do everything i need it to. I have long said to people that if i had only one bike the TW would be it and that has come to fruition and will not be changing any time soon.

Last edited:
I am looking hard at the 501.
Well, after my first dirt ride on Motoz tires, I'm not sure I would be very happy on a 501 or 701. I really do enjoy the GS on the road, and it did very well with the new tires offroad. I think a middleweight with all the bells and whistles might work. 890 Adventure, Toureg 660, Tiger 660 (if they make a rally version), new Honda Transalp (if it ever comes out). If I'm only going to have 1 bike, it has to do commuting and road touring duty along with dirt. I want excellent suspension and cruise control. I really ought to just save a couple thousand bucks and buy a cheap used dirt bike or dual sport.

Having recently turned 60, I like the concept of downsizing but at 5'-17" :D and around 250 pounds there is a limit. My current main ride is a 2007 R1200GSA and I love it for the ergos and it fits me to a tee.

As much as I'd like to go to a CRF450L or something like that, the bikes on my short list to replace my GS when the time comes are the Guzzi V85TT and the Honda NC750X.

Last edited:
I'm in my 60s now, but I have long preferred smaller bikes, even for touring. I chose to ride my SV650 to Newfoundland back in 2000. Now my go-to touring bike is a KTM390 ADV. There's nothing about a big touring bike that I "can't handle." But I know I'm going to have more fun on the smaller bike. I don't think it's a matter of getting older, it's a matter of knowing better what I want and seeing through the hype.

A KLX300 showed up at my local dealer last week so I jumped on it. When I had a KLX250 I'd take it and a street bike down to Tellico Plains and alternate days between street and forest service roads so I'll probably do that next week. I'm thinking of leaving the FZ09 at home this trip and seeing how much fun my usual run down 68 and 60 to Suches will be on the KLX. I know Deal's Gap is a hoot on a dual sport. Maybe find a way down there on mostly forest service roads and come back on pavement.

PXL_20220429_140621783.jpg

Top Bottom Back Refresh