What's new

Downsizing, how far will you go?

I forgot about the Liker cycles! Remember them well from 20 or so years ago, and you're right - all the repeat DWI / DUI award recipients seemed to ride them when mopeds first appeared here. Gave scooters a bad name. Nowadays it seems people around here just don't care if they loose their license, they drive anyway. A NC Congressman just got pulled the second time for driving while his license was suspended. And he's a lawmaker!

Nah, the problem with scooters is me. Just taking a while for me to accept such a "radical" revision to my thinking. I've been reading about them and keeping an eye out for them in my daily travels and secretly lusting for one. Local motorcycle shop I prefer also deals with Vespa and Piaggo.

The Trail 125 seems, at the moment, to be the compromise between my ego and my brain.

Serious question - what do I do with 50 plus years of accumulated motorcycle gear?

Serious question - what do I do with 50 plus years of accumulated motorcycle gear?
If you're talking about safety riding gear, you continue to use it. Falling down at any particular speed will cause just as much personal damage whatever you're riding. The asphalt doesn't care.

...ken...

I guess my question was a bit misleading, I'm ATGATT.
I'm referring to the redundancy I've built up over 50 years of riding - other than Goodwill how do I pare down from way too many riding jackets, gloves, cold weather gear in general to just what I currently use?
Any way to pass it along to new riders?

I guess my question was a bit misleading, I'm ATGATT.
I'm referring to the redundancy I've built up over 50 years of riding - other than Goodwill how do I pare down from way too many riding jackets, gloves, cold weather gear in general to just what I currently use?
Any way to pass it along to new riders?
Sell it cheap on the flea market.

Might be a good idea to open a "Pay it forward." thread. Give your stuff away. Maybe ask for donation for shipping. Only ask for the receiving party to donate something to someone else.
Of course 50 year old helmet might be a nice museum piece but not the safest available choice. 🪖

Well in my case it's only 35 years of riding gear and since I live out in the country I box it up and put it on a shelf on my shop.
When the mice find it and make a nest and chew it up I don't feel so bad throwing it away.

Yup, I have been riding a Honda Trail 125 a lot lately. The passing philosophy goes both ways. I pull to the side and let people pass, if it looks like I am holding them up. It is very rare, up to 50mph, I am usually the fastest vehicle on the road. I have driven in other countries a lot, passing is common practice there. In the US, it seems people feel empowered to try and enfore the law on their own, by blocking other people.

I took this photo while driving in Italy. Most people drive with their right wheels on the side of the road. So that others can safely pass, from either direction. Riding around Mexico is similar. People don’t care if you pass. Here in the US, I have had people try and run me off the road for passing or get extremely upset.

D0D67F31-18A5-47AA-AD8A-1ABA6AEA9EF3.jpeg
In rural Texas, a lot of the roads are two lane with wide, paved shoulders. The local custom is to move onto the shoulder (even at 70 mph) to allow people to pass.
I was surprised the first time I saw that, coming from Alabama where people are offended by anyone trying to pass them. I've passed people who were doing 50 mph, after which even 75 mph wasn't fast enough to get them off my back tire.

I'm 58 and physically smaller, down sizing is a reality in my mind. Some factors are the local genres of riding. I'm fortunate to be able to scoot, dirt, street and dualsport. Super fortunate to say the least. I'm finding that my rides are now local and shorter.

The cost of fuel has given me an appreciation for my wife's Honda 110 scooter. Huge grin factor and not really breaking the law!

I grew up with dirt riding and still ride it, it's in my blood but age is starting to creep in... hand eye coordination, reaction times, balance, physical recovery, etc.

Street riding is on my FJ09 and I'm finding those rides are getting shorter and not as much fun, yet it's nice having that power to go the distance in comfort with decent mpg. The bike is relatively light for a street machine considering its capabilities.

I think eventually I'll downsize to a KLX300 or similar to keep things simple and still be in the game God willing. For now I'm enjoying the fleet while I can still do it. Reality is creeping in though!

I watched a Vespa 300 with an aftermarket exhaust accelerate from a stoplight, yesterday. The rider was trying to get out in front of a car. I was impressed. The 0 to 60 isn't impressive, but shorter acceleration speeds are fairly good, and that's where it counts in the city.

I watched a Vespa 300 with an aftermarket exhaust accelerate from a stoplight, yesterday. The rider was trying to get out in front of a car. I was impressed. The 0 to 60 isn't impressive, but shorter acceleration speeds are fairly good, and that's where it counts in the city.
I ride a 150cc scooter. Pulling away from stoplights I accelerate faster than the cages at least 95% of the time. It's not that those cages couldn't go faster but they just don't.

I ride a 150cc scooter. Pulling away from stoplights I accelerate faster than the cages at least 95% of the time. It's not that those cages couldn't go faster but they just don't.
With gas prices so high, they're not going to tear away from a stoplight.

I wouldn't mind a smaller bike- am overhauling an 82 yamaha XS400, its running well enough now for testing and its a fine ride. Easy sitting posture, big comfy seat, enough engine to get you through traffic, big sissy bar and tail rack to secure crap to. I'd be a little reluctant to try the highway dance of death with it but for sure on smaller roads.

I'm on the downward slide. The current fleet is comprised of a 600 Silverwing, and a 250 Morphous(w/400) in NY, and two 250 Honda scooters ( Helix and Reflex) as well as a CH-80, when in Florida. The 250s are close, but just a tad underpowered for Interstate riding-which I need to do often. For me, the sweetspot is 400. Light enough for the city, comfortable enough for touring, and quick(fast) enough for Interstates without feeling wrung out. The CH-80 will be sold when I get back to Florida, topping out @50ish(w/my big butt) just isn't fast enough for the traffic. Although a 300 might work for me, I'm looking hard at a new Kymco 400. If not, maybe another Majesty is in my future.

Last edited:
Its Been 35C here today, and after taking the dogs up the river for a swim thia Am, a spot of Striming the boundry fence line and kneeling clearing an annoying patch of reocuring brambles with the generator and an electric hedge cutter. I was not to put too fine a point on it Knackered.
A light lunch and a phone call of a mate wanting to borow a small torque wrenchy, had me on my Little kawasaki Bobbedr low rider running the wrench up to his house about 15 miles away.
All i can say is the heat the low eaasy to mount comfotable liht bike were an absolute joy to be on today, i was up through the outskirts of carlisle and little trafic about, it was marvelous, no other word for it. Love the low light bikes .

Top Bottom Back Refresh