What's new

Honda CT125 or Trail 125 thread

I bought one! It was totally surreal. I walked into a local dealership, looking for a Monkey, and they happened to have a Trail. I asked if it was sold and they said they just got it and didn't have a waiting list anymore. I rode out on it. My trail just turned 100 miles today after 3 weeks of ownership. I. Love. It. It's awesome!

I live in the inner city part of Houston and I am also close to a Bayou. The Trail is perfect for short trips around the city. I love the gearbox too.

FOuUfYTXEAUfvI3?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

FN-1Wp8XoAc0Sx6?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
Is it a split gearbox with the high/low range like my old one?
(Sharp bike! That is beautiful!)

So Honda hasn't announced the 2022 model yet. Can we at least hope for a different color?

Maybe, but I've seen someone dump money into a Monkey motor after realizing that it can't push much harder in stock form.
Yeah but I think those guys are missing the point. I like Yinzer Moto's response. It's a package deal.

I think the 13 tooth front sprocket from the Super Cub would help with that.

Is the super cub front compatible with this bike? I tried to order a 13 a few weeks ago and it got lost in the mail. I think this bike could benefit from gearing down.

Is the super cub front compatible with this bike? I tried to order a 13 a few weeks ago and it got lost in the mail. I think this bike could benefit from gearing down.
Yes the 13 tooth sprocket will fit the Trail 125. It will just give it a higher top speed. It won't be a dramatic change though. Were you able to order the actual Honda part? I was told they are hard to get right now.

My point was that playing with the gearing probably won't increase an otherwise stock Trail's top speed much.
If the Super Cub has different gearing, that may be due to slightly better aerodynamics and lighter wheels.

On a different bike, dropping the gearing resulted in a higher top speed. For the low cost of a front sprocket, I am going to give it a try on this bike. I don’t expect to gain 10 mph or even 5 mph, but just running with a bit more pep when over 50mph, would be nice.

Yes the 13 tooth sprocket will fit the Trail 125. It will just give it a higher top speed. It won't be a dramatic change though. Were you able to order the actual Honda part? I was told they are hard to get right now.

It was a JT sprocket in 13 tooth.

I have been toying with the idea of adding pegs to my Trail. I am thinking that ordering the swingarm from Webike would probably be a better idea than having the current swingarm drilled. Honda Japan clearly shows a drilled swingarm with pegs attached:

I have gotten the part number from Bike Bandit and plugged that number into Webike. It came out the same which means to me that if I buy the swingarm from Webike, it should already been drilled and ready to go. I of course would ask before placing my order.

Has anyone thought about doing the same or knows someone who's done what I have in mind?

I am not too crazy about the stock tires and I am probably going to change them when I do the first service.

Michelin has a new tire called the City Extra. I have used Michelin City Grip tires before and was very happy with them. If I can find those new City Extra, I'll probably give them a try.

View attachment -tire-michelin-city-extra-ww-set-a-main-1-30-nopad.png

2022 Trail just announced!

And we are getting the... (drum roll) RED! No change except for a $100 more retail over the 2021.

I did my calling around today, I may have found another one. The shop said to call back in a couple days to double check.

I have been toying with the idea of adding pegs to my Trail. I am thinking that ordering the swingarm from Webike would probably be a better idea than having the current swingarm drilled. Honda Japan clearly shows a drilled swingarm with pegs attached:

I have gotten the part number from Bike Bandit and plugged that number into Webike. It came out the same which means to me that if I buy the swingarm from Webike, it should already been drilled and ready to go. I of course would ask before placing my order.

Has anyone thought about doing the same or knows someone who's done what I have in mind?

I have not seen this done, but vintage garage on the youtubes drilled his out.

My local dealers say they won't get any more CT125's or Monkeys until next year or have no idea when any are coming in. No CT 125's even listed online within 350 miles of me and those could be gone as well. Seems a tad ridiculous that Honda can't supply a few to each dealer.

My local dealers say they won't get any more CT125's or Monkeys until next year or have no idea when any are coming in. No CT 125's even listed online within 350 miles of me and those could be gone as well. Seems a tad ridiculous that Honda can't supply a few to each dealer.
We are at the end of March but your dealer says they won't get any bikes until the end of 2022? That would mean they would not be getting anything for the entire riding season. That sounds odd.

Top Bottom Back Refresh