What's new

Honda Transalp 750

Sure there is. :photog

1696089313620.png

I think the most likely path to the TA gaining cruise control is through Yamaha adding it to the T7. A feature war between those two bikes could play out well for us.
It already has. The T7 now has a TFT display to replace the original LCD panel. Hopefully we see more improvements, an increase in availability and less price gouging. :thumb

CP2[UWSL] motor in the T7 has a mechanical throttle, no fly by wire there . The hardware isn't there, so Yamaha would need all new throttle bodies and engine management system. Honda just needs to unlock software codes[/UWSL]

CP2[UWSL] motor in the T7 has a mechanical throttle, no fly by wire there . The hardware isn't there, so Yamaha would need all new throttle bodies and engine management system. Honda just needs to unlock software codes[/UWSL]
I didn't know that. Kind of a surprise given it's newness, but the engine is older than the bike, and the bike is older than its NA release.

All the more reason for Honda to reach into its parts bin for some basic switch gear and flip some bits in the ECU. I doubt they'll ever put DCT into the TA, but cruise control is a simple upgrade that can only help sales.

How is it? Tell us about it!

Fairly short ride home but first impressions were good.

-- Windy and <10C, so I was glad I had the heated grips.
-- Quick shifter works well. (Standard on US/Canadian bikes)
-- I'm 6' (32" inseam) and can easily flat foot it.
-- Comfortable seat.
-- Plenty of room for my legs - good ergos.
-- Has flash-to-pass fwiw. A first on a bike for me.
-- 120kph before you realize it - have to watch that!
-- Screen worked well (but I think the side deflectors might be a good idea).
-- Brakes are pretty good, I thought.
-- Suspension is budget really but works for my weight (175lbs).
-- Wouldn't have bothered with the bluetooth tbh, but not an option on the US/Canadian bikes.
-- Fit and finish seems excellent.
-- Lots of options and settings on the TFT screen - lots to learn.
-- TFT screen is very nice with a clear display.
-- Took the wife for a quick scoot - she loved it (bonus!)

Hmmm, what else? I'll get back to you on that.

If you guys could choose between the TA or the T7 which would you pick and why?
I think the best of the bunch is probably the Aprilia Taureg. Just read the reviews on that bike. The only issue is there aren't that many Aprilia dealers.

Beautiful riding day here in Alberta today. Wall to wall sunshine and 28c.

160+ kms of mixed highway, secondary roads and gravel.

I found I liked the quickshifter set to 'soft'. Seemed smoother.

The windshield is excellent despite some buffeting on the upper arms. The side deflectors would likely fix that though.

Rearview mirrors give an excellent view.

Traction control is a little too sensitive in 'Gravel' mode, I felt. Kicked in a couple of times on uphill loose gravel. 'User' mode will fix that.

Stock suspension soaked up the potholes and washboard no problem.

Stock Dunlop Trailmax Mixtour tires are better than I expected on the gravel but Mission 50/50 tires would be a better choice. The Mixtours are solid on the highway though. I think it's basically an 80/20 tire.

Ergonomics standing are very good for me.

(FYI. I'm 180lbs, 6' with 32" inseam)

IMG-2759.jpg

IMG-2750.jpg

IMG-2755.jpg

RockyDS How does it cruise on the freeway? I know it’s no ‘Wing but I’m curious how it does. Thanks. :thumb

RockyDS How does it cruise on the freeway? I know it’s no ‘Wing but I’m curious how it does. Thanks. :thumb

I had limited experience and we have snow here now, so I likely won't be riding now until sometime in Mar/Apr.

However, I did ride a few stretches of highway in the local area and I found it cruises nicely. No, it's not a Goldwing and I can't offer any comparison as I've never ridden a Goldwing.

Anyway, it's powerful enough to find yourself breaking the law all too easily and I'm confident it will be a very decent adventure touring bike. I already warned my wife that I'll be taking it north to the Yukon next summer, possibly D2D in Dawson City. That will be a 5-6,000 km multi-day round trip.

Compared to my more torquey but similarly powered 1200 Scrambler, I'd drop down a gear for passing at times. I didn't find that an issue - just different. Cruise control (as many have said) would be nice but Veridian Cruise in Calgary are developing a solution as we speak and I expect they'll have product choices ready for the 2024 riding season.

I've read reviewers say that there's a power band that comes in at 8.5k (?I think) but I'm still in the break in 'ride conservatively' period. I can tell you it moves when you want it to though.

The ergonomics seem to work very well for me, including the standard windshield - but that's all down to individual preference. The jury is out on the budget suspension but I think it will be fine for me and the type of riding I'll be doing.

I have the 12v outlet, heated grips and rad grill fitted and have an SW-Motech skid plate on order. I would have bought Barkbusters but they're not currently available in Canada so I have some cheap alternatives that should be here any day and I'll see how they work out as an interim solution. If not, I've only wasted $40.

Other than that, I have to find a 'budget friendly' solution that enables me to use my soft panniers. Something like this, maybe ...

rack.jpg

I don't have any plans to accessorize beyond those basics.

I had limited experience and we have snow here now, so I likely won't be riding now until sometime in Mar/Apr.

However, I did ride a few stretches of highway in the local area and I found it cruises nicely. No, it's not a Goldwing and I can't offer any comparison as I've never ridden a Goldwing.

Anyway, it's powerful enough to find yourself breaking the law all too easily and I'm confident it will be a very decent adventure touring bike. I already warned my wife that I'll be taking it north to the Yukon next summer, possibly D2D in Dawson City. That will be a 5-6,000 km multi-day round trip.

Compared to my more torquey but similarly powered 1200 Scrambler, I'd drop down a gear for passing at times. I didn't find that an issue - just different. Cruise control (as many have said) would be nice but Veridian Cruise in Calgary are developing a solution as we speak and I expect they'll have product choices ready for the 2024 riding season.

I've read reviewers say that there's a power band that comes in at 8.5k (?I think) but I'm still in the break in 'ride conservatively' period. I can tell you it moves when you want it to though.

The ergonomics seem to work very well for me, including the standard windshield - but that's all down to individual preference. The jury is out on the budget suspension but I think it will be fine for me and the type of riding I'll be doing.

I have the 12v outlet, heated grips and rad grill fitted and have an SW-Motech skid plate on order. I would have bought Barkbusters but they're not currently available in Canada so I have some cheap alternatives that should be here any day and I'll see how they work out as an interim solution. If not, I've only wasted $40.

Other than that, I have to find a 'budget friendly' solution that enables me to use my soft panniers. Something like this, maybe ...

rack.jpg

Thanks for the thorough reply. That's very helpful.

That looks like a heck of a ride up to the Yukon. The fact that you want to take the TA on a 5-6k multi-day trip like that really answers my question more accurately that how I asked it. I've never had a bike that is really suitable to take on a longer ride.

That's a neat kit from Veridian. At first I wasn't super keen on the look of the toggle switch but after seeing the price difference to upgrade to the OEM AT switch ($309 vs $820USD) the look of the toggle switch really grew on me. :D

MVI sells Barkbusters. If you haven't asked him about availability it might be worth a shot.

Thanks again for your insight.

rack.jpg

What dealer had this bike in stock or was it ordered? Thanks

What dealer had this bike in stock or was it ordered? Thanks
Glenns Sportsline, RMH. I had my name on the list as soon as they were announced for the US with the expectation they would be coming to Canada. I was surprised when they arrived as I was expecting the spring.

Top Bottom Back Refresh