What's new

Honda XR150L

I did my Saturday morning pilgrimage to the local dealership.

They had just sold one of two XR150L they have. I asked how much they wanted for one and they told me $4,700 OTD. The bike is $3,300 including shipping. That's about $1,000 in extra fees. They are mad.

They had just sold one of two XR150L they have. I asked how much they wanted for one and they told me $4,700 OTD. The bike is $3,300 including shipping. That's about $1,000 in extra fees. They are mad.
Nuts

2902772-tumblr_m6gcyffqxt1qaisgd.jpg

Mega dealers require mega markups

By my calculations that's $1700 over MSRP. I bought my ADV 150 last year when there where almost none anywhere. I shopped around and got it for just over MSRP +$1000. That includes tax, title and tag which I paid myself. Most dealers wanted a lot more than that. Before that I generally got bikes OTD for MSRP or less. Those days are probably gone but I think that dealers will have to let up on excessive fees as the economy slows and inventory piles up. I'm sure you could get one for 4K OTD or less if you shopped around.

By my calculations that's $1700 over MSRP. I bought my ADV 150 last year when there where almost none anywhere. I shopped around and got it for just over MSRP +$1000. That includes tax, title and tag which I paid myself. Most dealers wanted a lot more than that. Before that I generally got bikes OTD for MSRP or less. Those days are probably gone but I think that dealers will have to let up on excessive fees as the economy slows and inventory piles up. I'm sure you could get one for 4K OTD or less if you shopped around.

Some guy in Austin said he got his for $4,000 OTD. Bought it from one of the Ride Powersports dealerships. I can't verify the information but that seems a lot more reasonable.

I'm with you on dealer fees. Dealers need to calm down. Pandemic prices are over. Inventory is way up. I saw a 2023 Honda Trail. Just sitting on the floor. That was unthinkable a year ago. The green looks good by the way.

Some guy in Austin said he got his for $4,000 OTD. Bought it from one of the Ride Powersports dealerships. I can't verify the information but that seems a lot more reasonable.

I'm with you on dealer fees. Dealers need to calm down. Pandemic prices are over. Inventory is way up. I saw a 2023 Honda Trail. Just sitting on the floor. That was unthinkable a year ago. The green looks good by the way.
As long as there are some suckers out there willing to pay outrageous prices some dealers will keep charging them.

I have seen Honda trail 125s in stock at both Honda dealers I visited this year. They also had multiple Navi's and Grom's This was a small Honda dealer in a rural town about 2 weeks ago.

IMG_20230510_093206371_HDR-X2.jpg

I haven't seen an XR150 yet.

As long as there are some suckers out there willing to pay outrageous prices some dealers will keep charging them.

I have seen Honda trail 125s in stock at both Honda dealers I visited this year. They also had multiple Navi's and Grom's This was a small Honda dealer in a rural town about 2 weeks ago.

IMG_20230510_093206371_HDR-X2.jpg

I haven't seen an XR150 yet.

I like that yellow Monkey :raabia

These days all the Japanese 250-300cc dual sports are over 6K OTD. The CT125's are at least 5K OTD. I think as supply catches up to demand the price of the CT125s will come down. If they can sell the 150 for under $4,500 OTD or better yet under 4K, then it might sell pretty well. I don't see that happening. Honda dealers will charge all kinds of fees and jack up the price too high. I hope I'm wrong.

Personally I'm a fan of small bikes but I don't see buying one of these. I already have a KLX250. I could see buying a CT125, Grom or some other mini moto.
$3700 OTD at the same place I bought my TW. Of course, in Huntsville it's probably over $4k.

I spotted an XR150L this afternoon in Cambridge, MA. The skinny young rider was brapping around in the stupid Cambridge traffic like it wasn't his first bike, but his wide smile told me it was.

I spotted an XR150L this afternoon in Cambridge, MA. The skinny young rider was brapping around in the stupid Cambridge traffic like it wasn't his first bike, but his wide smile told me it was.
Saw one in Texas yesterday, young kld, all grins too.

A neighbor brought me his kid's CRF150 for fork seals recently. 2021 model. Confident it's the same forks as these. They don't run a lower bushing. Only has an upper bushing under the seal and the lower stanchion rides directly on the slider. The kid is only about 12 and only "races" ( he just cruises the hare scramble trails) the bike maybe 10 times a year. The seals weren't leaking because they were bad, they're leaking because the sliders are worn out the stanchions are rattling around. Maybe 20-30hrs of trail plonking ride time since brand new and fork lowers need to be replaced.

Just a fyi to anyone interested.

A neighbor brought me his kid's CRF150 for fork seals recently. 2021 model. Confident it's the same forks as these. They don't run a lower bushing. Only has an upper bushing under the seal and the lower stanchion rides directly on the slider. The kid is only about 12 and only "races" ( he just cruises the hare scramble trails) the bike maybe 10 times a year. The seals weren't leaking because they were bad, they're leaking because the sliders are worn out the stanchions are rattling around. Maybe 20-30hrs of trail plonking ride time since brand new and fork lowers need to be replaced.

Just a fyi to anyone interested.
Can those fork tubes be notched for a lower bushing? Sounds like an opportunity to market an upgrade kit.

Can those fork tubes be notched for a lower bushing? Sounds like an opportunity to market an upgrade kit.
I had the same thought. At a glance, I think the lower portion of the stanchions have plenty of material to accommodate adding a bushing. The tubing is swedged down in that area and quite thick. I think you'd have to have it done almost immediately, otherwise the interior of the slider is going to be deformed and the whole process would be pointless. The only major concern with be the hard chrome plating and if it would want to start peeling after you cut a groove for a bushing, but I think that could be avoided by feathering the coating back first. You don't need that corrosion resistance inside the fork. He needed that bike back together in a couple days, so I don't really dive deep in to it. I feel like people buying these bikes probably aren't going to be eager to immediately spend for shipping forks back and forth to have machine work done. Shipping X2 + parts + machine work would probably hit a few hundred dollars pretty quick.

The forks I saw are shot though. With the fork lower clamped in the vice the tube wobbled so much that the fork cap was moving back and forth 3-4mm. No way these new seals are gonna hold oil in.

Top Bottom Back Refresh