What's new

Kawasaki KLX250 / KLX300 Thread

I have gotten in the habit of carrying spare levers on my dual sport bikes. They aren't big or heavy or expensive so why not. I was on a ride several years ago when that spare clutch lever came in handy. I was riding my old KLR650 with a group of riders, many on KLR650s. We were riding on snow and ice and bikes were going down left and right. One guy broke his clutch lever so it was good I had a spare. He dropped his bike again, breaking the lever again. Luckily someone else also had a spare. I guess he didn't know about keeping the perch loose. We told him that if he crashed again it better be on the other side.:lol3

I have gotten in the habit of carrying spare levers on my dual sport bikes. They aren't big or heavy or expensive so why not. I was on a ride several years ago when that spare clutch lever came in handy. I was riding my old KLR650 with a group of riders, many on KLR650s. We were riding on snow and ice and bikes were going down left and right. One guy broke his clutch lever so it was good I had a spare. He dropped his bike again, breaking the lever again. Luckily someone else also had a spare. I guess he didn't know about keeping the perch loose. We told him that if he crashed again it better be on the other side.:lol3

That's funny. :lol2

I'm not sure why but I seem to fall over to the left more than the right.

You know, we are dealers for Barkbusters.:photog

I have crashed my CRF450 100's of times, broke my Pelvis one time, broke my Back, broke my Leg in March. Some guys put teflon tape under them too. I know this trick to keep them loose, but I dont, I keep them tight.

I've never broke a CL or BR lever, but I always carry a spare too. And I run a quality set of hand guards....

Do you havea KLX?
No longer, but I did own a 2011 KLX250S. I always liked the bike, a little under powered yet it felt right. I'm sure the new 300 model or one with a 351 kit would be ideal. As age creeps in I'm certain the 300 is on the unicorn short list. The fact that its fuel injected now, even the 2018 250 model. I don't know how much longer that I'll be horsing a 525 through the woods, it's starting to take an incremental toll on my body as much as I hate to admit that fact of life. Downsizing, street legal, fuel economy and the reality that I don't ride as far anymore. The 300 should work.

No longer, but I did own a 2011 KLX250S. I always liked the bike, a little under powered yet it felt right. I'm sure the new 300 model or one with a 351 kit would be ideal. As age creeps in I'm certain the 300 is on the unicorn short list. The fact that its fuel injected now, even the 2018 250 model. I don't know how much longer that I'll be horsing a 525 through the woods, it's starting to take an incremental toll on my body as much as I hate to admit that fact of life. Downsizing, street legal, fuel economy and the reality that I don't ride as far anymore. The 300 should work.
I Keep looking at the KLX300 for the same reason. I'm getting older too, sometimes I just want to ride a nice, simple, 4 stroke FI bike and not deal with the 45HP Fire Breathing 450 (or 525 in your case)

I contemplated this very thing today in Physical Therapy for my broken leg...

I downsized to a 2020 KLX250 from a KLR650. I love the KLX. A little more power would be nice but the 250 is just a great DUAL sport bike. I wasn't looking for a dirt bike with lights. I wanted something that worked off road but also worked well on the super twisty paved roads I love to ride. Last year my buddy and I, both on KLX250s stayed on the tail of a Ninja 1000 running through the dragon.

I Keep looking at the KLX300 for the same reason. I'm getting older too, sometimes I just want to ride a nice, simple, 4 stroke FI bike and not deal with the 45HP Fire Breathing 450 (or 525 in your case)

Plated WR250f if you can or a KTM 250 . Still fast and lighter bikes seem to hurt people less. I think coming off the Elle most DS bikes other then the euros or a WRF will be disappointing.

Not sure how Texas is with plating dirt cycles?

Prayer sent for a quick healing. I love torque and it's hard to give that up. Running around on my wife's 110 scooter has opened my eyes to the "more fun riding a slow bike fast concept." I always liked the carbed 250S model but wanted just a little more, add 10 more years of aging, things started getting real. I'm running around with a compression sleeve on my forearm, falling apart! I would like to ride as long as possible, God willing. As you are well aware the rest of the summer is shot while recovering. We all trained to operate safely in a hazardous environment. Those 300s may be the new normal! Heal quick and don't over do it until then!

As we're talking Dual Sports here

1657372486155.png

I feel bad that you had such a lousy experience with your KLX. Am I remembering right that you had trouble with the rad fan not coming on last year?
Yeah, that was me. Don’t feel too bad for me. Even before all the troubles began, I was thinking to trade in either my KLX300 or XT250 for a dirt bike. The troubles with the KLX only made choosing which one to let go that much easier. Probably for the better as my XT250 is a buddy bike for friends and family, many of whom have no experience. The XT is a better buddy bike for the inexperienced due to it being so much shorter.

Even though I had some bad luck with my particular KLX300, I still think it’s a great bike. If I could only have one bike, I’d probably go with the KLX300R with a dual sport kit and plated, eventually with the 351 cc kit and some way to extend range, even if that meant nothing more than Rotopax or Giant Loop Armadillo bags.

As for now, I’m gelling with the CRF250RX. I read that you just picked up a CRF250X. Congratulations

Yeah, that was me. Don’t feel too bad for me. Even before all the troubles began, I was thinking to trade in either my KLX300 or XT250 for a dirt bike. The troubles with the KLX only made choosing which one to let go that much easier. Probably for the better as my XT250 is a buddy bike for friends and family, many of whom have no experience. The XT is a better buddy bike for the inexperienced due to it being so much shorter.

Even though I had some bad luck with my particular KLX300, I still think it’s a great bike. If I could only have one bike, I’d probably go with the KLX300R with a dual sport kit and plated, eventually with the 351 cc kit and some way to extend range, even if that meant nothing more than Rotopax or Giant Loop Armadillo bags.

As for now, I’m gelling with the CRF250RX. I read that you just picked up a CRF250X. Congratulations
A big thanks to jwaller for hooking me up with a D605 tire! I finally got it on tonight now I can keep my new 606 fresh for a trip I'm planning for next month. I really appreciate your generosity!

2022-08-01 20.24.08.jpg

Don't mind the speedo cable routed the wrong way around the fork. I find it to be bad luck if I change a tire without having to take stuff back apart at least once. :lol2

A big thanks to jwaller for hooking me up with a D605 tire! I finally got it on tonight now I can keep my new 606 fresh for a trip I'm planning for next month. I really appreciate your generosity!

2022-08-01 20.24.08.jpg

Don't mind the speedo cable routed the wrong way around the fork. I find it to be bad luck if I change a tire without having to take stuff back apart at least once. :lol2
I’d rather give a serviceable tire away rather than pay to dispose of it. Speaking of which, I’ve got a low mileage Tusk DSport front and Shinko 705 front tire if anyone wants either

I’d rather give a serviceable tire away rather than pay to dispose of it. Speaking of which, I’ve got a low mileage Tusk DSport front and Shinko 705 front tire if anyone wants either
:thumb

What size are they?

It was so hot yesterday and I had a 65 mile ride home in 107+ heat, I never fully recovered and conked out before getting to the tires. Here’s pics of the tires. Hopefully you can get a good idea of the life left in these tires.

812DA870-71C1-4758-ABB5-8E2A151146EF.jpeg
F58EB99B-F0A3-4A68-A2EA-75F2E29D4A1E.jpeg
89E96B06-C79B-4723-B185-B7DF8B1854EC.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh