What's new

Key or Fob?

Do you like a key or a fob better?

• Key

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Fob

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters
My GSA has a key while my K has a fob. The latter offers a bit more convenience but I'll be spending $300 if I ever lose it, so I can't say the benefit outweighs the cost.
Well fuck me. My K bike key fob ended up in the wash this weekend. $300? Ha. I've since learned I washed $425 plus tax from my wallet. Grrrrrrr! Damnit.

Behold the BMW key fob. Technology no one asked for that solves a problem that doesn't exist.

The wife recently upgraded to a 2015 Rav4, delegating the old camry to our daughter. The rav has an integrated fob, buttons fit into the key handle. Its nice in that its not an extra piece of junk on the keychain getting caught in everything, but still annoying that the buttons are small and prone to being accidentally pressed. At least its still a real key. Can't wait till I get soaked at some point and the fob fails.

In my car I love the fob and push button start. But on my bike I’m happy to have an old school key. Since it’s a Harley the key just locks & unlocks the ignition. So no keys flopping at highway speed.

I like the fob when it's done well. My Honda ADV150 has a fob with only two buttons, (buttons I never use). No accidental pocket pushes to worry about. The ignition switch just works when the fob is in range. Less well done is the back up starting method if the fob fails. It's a 12 digit number that you have to enter with pushes of the ignition switch, in a timed manner, just right. And the number isn't on the fob or bike, only on a tag you get with the fobs. And you have to install a jumper plug first, in the battery compartment. They do give you two fobs with each scooter.

BMW fobs have the flip out key, but that's so weak it's prone to damage if used on the seat or luggage, which is all the key is good for.... The back up starting method when the fob dies is a pita with the plastic emergency key.

Other cars and bikes have an actual key tucked in the fob. Back up starting method is just to pull the key from the fob, pop a cover off the key slot, insert key and start the vehicle. THAT's the smart way to do it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh