What's new

Milling & Machining

Investigating an oil leak and found a bad bearing so replaced the pair of them. These Monarchs are rock solid and built with some ease of repair in mind. Lots of little touches that keep you from having to remove much larger parts, definitely not designed by modern car engineers. These bearings had been replaced at least once before but it's the first repair I've made in 19 years of using it. (not counting making a new brass nut for the tailstock). Did a lot of inspection for other problems and didn't find anything of concern, the large gear in the pic is showing some wear though. It and its mate should have been adjusted sooner, hopefully they'll be ok though.

Not shabby for a 1953 machine! Monarchbrg.jpg

(edit machine year!)

Last edited:
Nice! Monarch design has always been impressive, and oiling of quadrant gears is often a sore spot. My '36 American also has some design elements to ease maintenance but on this generation machine the quadrant gear lube setup is right out of the early 1900's; just a simple loss system that the operator is supposed to keep track of. And of course many don't so the quadrant journals and gears wear noisily. All the quadrant gears had been replaced when I got the machine- teeth on these are OK but the journals are worn so the gears rattle.

They did try though, by putting an oil passage down the center of the stud leading to a port out onto the journal surface so all the operator has to do is put a squirt or two in from an oil can once a shift. Sometime when I get bored I suppose it'll be time to dig into that. Maybe the move would be get the journals ground and put bronze bushes in the gears.

All right quick question for yall, looking to machine out a set of wedding rings. Any recommendations for endmills and rough speeds and feeds? Leaning towards the lakeshore carbide 4flute ball mill and a 6mm 7 flute ISCAR Carbide Bullnose Endmill. I do want ballnose/Bullnose to help with some contours I want to add but am very open to diameters and radii. First time cutting titanium!

My boat trailer has shitty 12" rims. 4x4 rims in 15" flavor don't exist. 4X100mm all have shitty FWD offsets. So I had 2 6" cubes of 7075. Problem is, 5x5.5 hub won't fit in a 6" square. Or will it......

20240229_181844.jpg

20240229_203958.jpg

20240303_130351.jpg

20240304_193917.jpg

20240304_193947.jpg

Cause every 1500# loaded boat trailer needs disk brakes.

My boat trailer has shitty 12" rims. 4x4 rims in 15" flavor don't exist. 4X100mm all have shitty FWD offsets. So I had 2 6" cubes of 7075. Problem is, 5x5.5 hub won't fit in a 6" square. Or will it......

20240229_181844.jpg

20240229_203958.jpg

20240303_130351.jpg

20240304_193917.jpg

20240304_193947.jpg

Cause every 1500# loaded boat trailer needs disk brakes.
Show-off! Great work!

When we were in New zealand i only had a small basic workshop a small generic drill press a small band saw and a old basic Myford ML4 lathe and basic hand tools. welders etc that about sums it.
A Mill would have been great but i met an old guy in Hast who was big into old nortons, had a few including a mint es2. He made a roller file rig for his Smart & brown lathe, Rather like this one in the video. I made one used it on my little myford and used it extensively making those square shanked firing pins for the older 68G model Laurona O/U magnums and semi auto shotgun firing pins.
Have a look at this idea if you have not sseen it before, its simple easy to make, and i miss not having it around but looking at making another for my old myford here.

A shot of those bar clamps in action, simple but very happy with how they came out. Roughed and wall finish with a 5/16 YG 3 flute endmill, 1/2 2flute Ball mill for clamping surface left an excellent surface finish, and no name drill to finish it off.
5rhkAAX8HF_Ga&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg

I cut it stood up vertically like it would be installed, if I was running more than this one off I would probably lay it down but this worked plenty good enough for a lazy evening. I also did cut it so the mating faces do not actually touch the re is a .050" gap if the bars are actually a perfect 7/8"
nc_ohc=y27iAuTrkBEAX-OBP03&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.jpg
nc_ohc=U6W1TsPYAPgAX-mxcWH&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.jpg

The model is a bit taller than what I actually made as well. Just in case I want a riser or taller setup down the road

Nice! I guess you have one of those fancy computer driven milling machines :jack

I had visions of breaking out one of my million year old round-over slab cutters on the horizontal mill, with the parts ganged and then rotate after the pass 3 more times...

Top Bottom Back Refresh