What's new

Milling & Machining

img_2_1701633671930.jpg

Loving these YG-1 endmills, not loving smoking 2 of them within 5 minutes :lol3. Didn'ttighten down my fixture plate to the table for the first one and the second one was setting the offset and had the jog wheel set to .1" Doesnt work well when you are within that distance from the zero lol Also working with miteebites for the first(ish) time, so far I am very much liking them.

nc_ohc=nhB-G27zhbEAX8QhnSi&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.jpg
nc_ohc=5XPVN-jPah0AX-77XgT&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.jpg

Found these ER20 collet holders the other day, with a little luck my mess of collets will finally be tamed. Still need to work on the printers speeds, feeds, and temps but it at least reliable finishes the print! Next up is a better TTS holder, gotta make it easy to get the fiancee run the mill for me :wink:

28HLwAX_cVwCr&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.jpg
385544230_1808174432954419_6734617997914609608_n.jpg

This Lathe was brought to MVI to remove the Tapered bit.
The Lathe's Owner pounded on the Extraction rod until it folded up like a corkscrew.

Seems it was in there for a long time, and it was stored in a garage for many years. It was fused in place from the rust. When it finally let go it, it came out with a loud Bang !

Now I know why I don't like Wood Lathes

1703675775123.png
1703675855994.png
1703675815522.png

Last edited:
Wood-butchers.... what can you do in the end? :imaposer

The worst stuck tooling situation Iv'e had was on a B&S #9 horizontal mill. I had put the tooling in with the spindle warm and brought up the drawbar too tight and later couldn't drive out the tooling even with a good bit of heat on the spindle nose. We ended up taking the spindle out of the machine and rigging a piece of pipe around it, with the spindle tail end and tooling far end set up with spacers and nuts and related stuff so when we put a torch on the pipe the expansion would put tension on the taper. Once we got a bunch of the pipe nearly red hot the taper finally broke loose BANG! and all was well. I've been really careful with B&S tapers ever since...

Rosebud , Lots of Heat, a 3/8" steel drift from the back side thru the chuck, and a 3# Maul

Anybody need any South Bend 10L (aka heavy 10) lathe parts? I have some headstock parts and some smaller covers from an older single tumbler model that I have had kicking around a bit. I doubt I'll ever use them, esp since my 10L is a later double tumbler model. Send me a PM if you want any details.
SB_ST_parts_orig_sz_1.jpg

Last edited:
Not a particularly complex project. But it made something "not so useful" into "way more useful". Just wish I had a stouter bandsaw to work with.

Have a Greenerd #30 3-ton arbor press which was originally designed for elec motor repair. Pressing armatures off, bearings, etc. Got it from HGR pretty cheaply as it had fallen over and broken the racheting mechanism into a bunch of pieces. I just wanted the stand for my Greenerd #3 that didn't have a stand, but took it all. The stand, press frame, & ram were still all good, all else being broken to pieces. After ebay searching found a cheap hacked up 3T arbor press for cheap BIN price that had a good donor pinion I could use to make it operable as non-racheting. Good thing about this is the huge amount of daylight it offers, at 18" capacity.

It came with an 11 x 12 x 3/8 thick plate attached to it which wasn't useful in many cases in that configuration. So I cut the plate down, drilled a sequence of holes up to 1 inch diam as that was the biggest drill I had. Then w/ boring head upped the diameter to 2-1/8. Then rough band-sawed the hole to make it a slot. Then finished all on the the Bridgeport to clean up the saw-cut surfaces. Ground the corner radii w/ a belt sander.

All in all it was like 32 inches of sawing on a Delta-Rockwell 14" wood/metal bandsaw. All total it took well over an hour+ of sawing. Used a 4T blade and let it do all the work. But I don't know how I could have done the cutting any faster on such a light-duty saw? My hand and wrist were definitely feeling that effort.

Pretty happy how it came out. Was thinking the 3/8 plate might flex under load but seems fine w/ my 148 Lbs hanging off the end of that press lever.

no_30 arbor_press_plate.jpg

throat.jpg

375_thk_plate_01.jpg

375_thk_plate_02.jpg

greenerd_30_01.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought this from the estate of one of my parent's friends. 60 years ago, this friend helped us build a go cart. We used this drill press a lot doing the build. It was an old WWII surplus buy in 1960. It was decades of dirty so I hit it with WD40 and steel wool and I am happy with the results. Motor runs but needs some TLC. The old belt will be replaced but still let me check the runout and it was .003" so all good there. I will detail it out more but I like the patina and have no plans to paint it.

Attachments

• Image_20240210184532.jpg
    Image_20240210184532.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Image_20240210184537.jpg
    Image_20240210184537.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Image_20240210184539.jpg
    Image_20240210184539.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 7
My Dad used to have a Craftsman benchtop drill press much like that- super useful, glad you got this one!

Top Bottom Back Refresh