What's new

Old School Cool

Not traditional Old School, but an old bike. A 70 Yamaha XS400 that I picked up almost free. Took it down to nearly nothing, and built it up as a scrambler. :-)

5Eevar.jpg
iIj647.jpg
oAoJHi.jpg
SjwTVh.jpg
1x8hDA.jpg
QqJvm2.jpg
M1t63l.jpg
eYS3dr.jpg
fYkPtl.jpg
DnOCMo.jpg
YpxJf7.jpg
jpdJek.jpg
J3m26L.jpg
ezMup9.jpg
oKmckN.jpg
hlzllE.jpg
jQ7Rn5.jpg

Fun ride, poor power and brakes, but got a LOT of attention.
I had a '78 XS400 that i bought well used. It was the worst bike i ever owned...@50mph the mirrors were vibrtaing so much that they were worthless ...couldnt see shit...You did a nice job polishing and scrambling a turd...:lol3

waterbus.jpg
GT750 1970 ish. Mid-winter 24 hour rally.

My father starting my go-kart in '63
Dad and I with kart.jpg

And a picture taken around '65 or '66 when he started buying a bike now and then to repair and sell, before he got me into bikes in '68. This was a Sachs 150(?) 2 stroke (with T-Bird fender-top turn indicators on the rear fender for tail lights), with post go-kart me sitting on the back behind my RBF father
me and Dad on Sachs.jpg

Just found this on Reddit. Best restomod of a CBX I've ever seen, most normal looking while still incorporating modern parts and technology.

CBXmod.jpg

Looks pretty well done.
Must have JUST finished it or he's afraid to lean it over though.

My pack of red Hondas

IMG_20160318_135748019.jpg
That's cool! I have had a number of old Hondas over the years; XL185, XL250, XL600, and two ATC185 3-wheelers. Currently, I have a 1977 XL75 that is street legal with current registration. I use it as a pit bike for getting around the race track...when my wife doesn't run off with it. :D

36087815_641502299534002_7388899313260167168_n.jpg

IMG_4223_xl.jpg

post50.jpg

Side_5477.jpg

851Termi_m.jpg

The Super Light (yellow bike) is the only one of those I still own, and I have yet to get it to run right. I've kind of given up on it for the moment and am working on other projects instead. Pics of those when they are done. It's been about 15 years on them so far, so don't hold your breath.

I always wanted and XS11.
They were big lazzy tourers ample grunt from bikes of that time. If you pushed them hard they were ok up to a point then they got wayward and with that 600+ lbs inventory it used to make my heart skip a beat on occasion let me tell you.
I lik the XS11 but if i am brutaly honest , personaly i much prefered the nimbler GS1100 and GS1100e i had.

They were big lazzy tourers ample grunt from bikes of that time. If you pushed them hard they were ok up to a point then they got wayward and with that 600+ lbs inventory it used to make my heart skip a beat on occasion let me tell you.
I lik the XS11 but if i am brutaly honest , personaly i much prefered the nimbler GS1100 and GS1100e i had.
Yes pushed hard they wallowed a tad in cornering!! I ended up adding some air forks to the front and apart from looking cool I don't think they added any extra rigidity to the wallowing. I'd have mine back in a heart beat.

I had the opportunity too as I found my bike in an Auckland shop, at the other end of the country from where I had sold it ten years earlier. The shop owner was gobsmacked when he checked the paperwork and confirmed I had been the original owner and the longest owner of it. He offered it to me for $3000 together with all of the new replacement parts he had. He also had new parts winging their way from Japan which he would sell to me at cost. He was in the process of doing it up and selling it back to Japan to the collectors there that weren't allowed any of the "Super-bikes"as they had a low cc rating scheme that disallowed ownership in Japan during the 760's & 80's..

But I thought "there is a reason I sold it as it was becoming old technology" and I had moved on to newer bikes, so I passed. They weren't really "retro"or ""collectables" at that stage. Buggar.

Yes pushed hard they wallowed a tad in cornering!! I ended up adding some air forks to the front and apart from looking cool I don't think they added any extra rigidity to the wallowing. I'd have mine back in a heart beat.

I had the opportunity too as I found my bike in an Auckland shop, at the other end of the country from where I had sold it ten years earlier. The shop owner was gobsmacked when he checked the paperwork and confirmed I had been the original owner and the longest owner of it. He offered it to me for $3000 together with all of the new replacement parts he had. He also had new parts winging their way from Japan which he would sell to me at cost. He was in the process of doing it up and selling it back to Japan to the collectors there that weren't allowed any of the "Super-bikes"as they had a low cc rating scheme that disallowed ownership in Japan during the 760's & 80's..

But I thought "there is a reason I sold it as it was becoming old technology" and I had moved on to newer bikes, so I passed. They weren't really "retro"or ""collectables" at that stage. Buggar.
I get where you are coming from with the old tech / why you moved on etc. They ere great in that the engine was reliable enough and for their time ok performance. The shaft drive again was a good point on a tourer , but for me sheer mass of the thing just killed it for me, and hense my favouratisum for the suzukis, which not exactly featherweights were a sportier feeling bike IMO.

My ride from San Bernadino, CA to Steelton, PA in 1976. Helped someone move and needed a way home. Made my brothers 73 TM250 street legal with some TS parts. Didn't have time to get is setup right before we left, so it was always hard to start when hot. Took 11 days. Camping and motels. Only a 24 year old would attempt something like this.

1659736655144.jpeg

My ride from San Bernadino, CA to Steelton, PA in 1976. Helped someone move and needed a way home. Made my brothers 73 TM250 street legal with some TS parts. Didn't have time to get is setup right before we left, so it was always hard to start when hot. Took 11 days. Camping and motels. Only a 24 year old would attempt something like this.

1659736655144.jpeg
Must not have had a legal tag on it then... definitely a 24 year old move! :clap

Top Bottom Back Refresh